Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Bushman

cyphers

New in Town
How do you crease your bushman. I have mine creased with a center dent and a fairly tight front pinch, but I'm thinking about switching to a teardrop crease.

TPD166

One Too Many
I am not sure whether to thank or blame everyone in this thread for my new hat – I didn’t NEED to buy a new hat, but your comments and photos convinced me to do so. Here is my new Bushman, as it arrived and with a new crease and hatband (from Outwest Saddlery). When I ordered mine from Bluewater Group, it was out of stock in my size, but the hat was on my doorstep seven days later. Very happy with this hat and I am looking forward cooler weather (107 is expected today) for more regular wear. And there could well be a Moonstone in my future as well.

Snappy Tom

New in Town
Frussell was simply stating his own personal reason for not purchasing a Bushman. He mentioned only one detraction...the sarcasm and defensive posture of some of the posters here seems thoroughly unjustified.

That said, has anyone attached a chin strap to a Bushman? I'm thinking about getting one later on this year, and the chinstrap is very appealing to me when the cold winds start picking up. I'd like to know how reliable the attachment method on these DM grommet-style hats is.

Snappy Tom

New in Town
Hi Folks. Some classy looking Headgear on here.

I Live in Australia. I have been wearing a Squatter for years( in fact they are now almost exactly twice the price they were when I started) I'd love to buy a Bushman - that extra 1/4 inch brim is just what I want. My Grandads wore them and I'm told it was the first Akubra model. The Australian Outfitters say Akubra don't make them any more and they were the same as the Squatter anyhow: both patently untrue. So does Akubra make 'em just for the American market? I could order from David Morgan - if they would post it-but with Postage and the exchange rate it'd be about a gazillion dollars. Akubra only talks to distributors and won't answer my emails, the cads. Any Insights?

Snappy Tom

New in Town
Thanks everybody. I couldn't see the sliders on the strings in the two links. I have a Sun Body that has a simple leather string, and I keep it tied over the top of the brim. I'm considering a stampede string for my campaign hat It gets REALLY windy here in Kansas.

Thanks for the help.
The Akubra Campdraft has a string attached to a button going around the brim. detach it and put the button through the top hole in your shirt so when your hat falls ( when you are( ahem) campdrafting, the hat is attached to you.

The roughriders used a simple leather lace cut just long enough to fit over the nose. did the job.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
I've posted this in other threads, however since this is dedicated to the Bushman, I'll post it here as well.

My moonstone Bushman that I picked up a couple weeks ago from JJ Hat Center while visiting NYC.

6AC6344A-9A6D-4DD2-BF90-878D4926431D_zps87zzxe2p.jpg

20AFF7D1-0740-4321-9418-71057195A157_zpsahhuep5p.jpg

48BC0495-CBCA-4F2F-81CA-94FE98E700E3_zpszrutx7zw.jpg

6ADD525B-61D0-4D16-B0A0-C0A723031631_zpsmwpv75gk.jpg

The family and I on stage for a backstage tour of the Broadway performance of "Wicked" prior to show start:

D8701B8D-DDF7-4622-8518-3B0CD2BAB675_zpsainal48k.jpg

On the High Line making our way back out of the Meatpacking District:

706678AC-CAC4-4371-B588-B1CEEC668040_zpse0pha4rb.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I have the same Bushman in moonstone
I'm about to put it up in classifieds ... just not a fan of it
pretty much brand new size 59
hit me up if anyone is interested
I'll lose it for a song

EDIT: she is up in classifieds

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
While searching out new hats, I came to this thread often to check out pics of the Akubra Bushman. It took a while to narrow it down, and I bought and sold a few hats along the way to find my perfect "dog walking/hiking hat", and I couldn't be happier with my new Bushman that arrived yesterday. I'll smooth out this quick bash some, but here's what I came up with yesterday before taking it out for a drizzly neighborhood walk. Here are some pics for anyone contemplating the Bushman in the future:

20180222_170010.jpg
20180222_170320.jpg

20180222_170322.jpg

Attachments

• 20180222_165846.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,558
Last edited:

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
That color looks really good!

Thanks, man. Though between my Campdrafts, the Bushman doesn't see a whole lot of head time.

BTW... Nice handle. I'm about a month from pulling the trigger on a Mk7 GTI (it'll be my third. I've had two '84 Mk1's and a '92 Mk2) and will be looking into seeing what options are available for tuning. I really want a 6 speed manual, but I hear once you start increasing HP, the clutch needs to be replaced, where as with the DSG, you don't have to worry about it.

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
Thanks, man. Though between my Campdrafts, the Bushman doesn't see a whole lot of head time.

BTW... Nice handle. I'm about a month from pulling the trigger on a Mk7 GTI and will be looking into seeing what options are available for tuning. I really want a 6 speed manual, but I hear once you start increasing HP, the clutch needs to be replaced, where as with the DSG, you don't have to worry about it.
Sweet! I have had several Gti's and two Gli's. Love em... Now that I have kids I have a Subaru wagon, but I miss the VWs a lot.

I have a moonstone campdraft on order, paid for and everything, but it's going to take over a month from hats direct because they're on backorder. Lucked out and made some money selling a few other hats to consolidate and replace with ones I wear more frequently.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
Sweet! I have had several Gti's and two Gli's. Love em... Now that I have kids I have a Subaru wagon, but I miss the VWs a lot.

I have a moonstone campdraft on order, paid for and everything, but it's going to take over a month from hats direct because they're on backorder. Lucked out and made some money selling a few other hats to consolidate and replace with ones I wear more frequently.

Yep, sold my '92 because trying to get a kid in his car seat with a 2 door sucked D-sized Duracell batteries. Sold it and got a Mazda Protege 3 wagon. That didn't work too well in the snow/ice, so I sold that and now have a Honda Element which the kid will get next month when he gets his drivers license. Gotta keep the Element for inclement weather and pulling the bikes. :D

5Yo1Xz0h.jpg

I waited 5 months for my Bluegrass Green Campdraft from Everything Australia. The wait was hard, but the reward was great! I think you'll really like the CD. Very similar to the Bushman but with a little taller crown. The shorter crown is probably why I prefer my CD's over my Bushman.

Fjn356

New in Town
Got the tan Bushman in and am beginning to work on a telescope. I get fine wrinkles, I think from not having the hat wet enough, but I will persevere and post the results later.

The hat appears much too big for my slight frame and head but I love the wide brim from a functional point of view. It seems ideal for touristy city and country hikes. I may have to give up the telescope and go for something with a vertical crease. Concept meets reality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana