Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Bushman

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
Got the tan Bushman in and am beginning to work on a telescope. I get fine wrinkles, I think from not having the hat wet enough, but I will persevere and post the results later.

The hat appears much too big for my slight frame and head but I love the wide brim from a functional point of view. It seems ideal for touristy city and country hikes. I may have to give up the telescope and go for something with a vertical crease. Concept meets reality.
Looking forward to pics!

Bushman in moonstone.

2A3B8911-0273-4265-AEE4-5CB85AB3185A.jpeg
BDB86D4B-43DE-4EC1-9D86-C8A559740F83.jpeg
C2C57BFE-3B37-4836-9330-E39C3E309C3D.jpeg
523B6B63-F2D2-4236-B54E-EBCA1ABFEE78.jpeg
10F6F135-3392-40E9-BA7B-E34FB088DBFC.jpeg
6BD3FB2A-0CE3-484C-A470-1DBB12744C57.jpeg
0D6EF28F-1F2D-454D-9B31-9FAE5E130D69.jpeg
2C935102-373A-4307-92CF-894E0E8963DA.jpeg
0C4FF463-5766-4615-A7EF-9692148E0CE3.jpeg

The spots/splotchiness on crown is from where I misted it and it hasn’t yet dried.

Last edited:

Gobi

One of the Regulars
I love how Akubras just shed water like nothing. I worked out in the yard building firewood racks and filling them until it was too dark to work. Steady rain the whole evening. Other hats would have saturated and leaked down my scalp but my Bushman just seems to repel water. It doesn't even look that wet. My head was bone dry. The rain just stayed on the surface and dripped off the front of the brim and never soaked through.
20200927_194123.jpg

dkstott

Practically Family
My Banjo Patterson is amazing in the rain!!

Though I had a Stylemaster where the top shrunk and really tapered after getting soaked.

With the demise of the Bushman I figured I should get another while they are still available:

View attachment 265954 View attachment 265955 View attachment 265956 View attachment 265957 View attachment 265958 View attachment 265959 View attachment 265960

This tan hat is much stiffer than my moonstone. It definitely wants to be a brim up hat. Like a lot of felt, this tan is a chameleon and the color really shifts depending on light and background.
There are a couple of Akubra hats in this genre I would have purchased but I just can't abide the vent holes. I even considered the possibility of changing out the ribbon and goiing wider to hide but in the end seemed too much trouble.

There are a couple of Akubra hats in this genre I would have purchased but I just can't abide the vent holes. I even considered the possibility of changing out the ribbon and goiing wider to hide but in the end seemed too much trouble.

I’m with you: that grommeted hole detracts from the hat. I wish it wasn’t there but the single hole isn’t too bad.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
JJ Hat's has the Bushman in stock. $175.

Think Kevin said they (JJ's) have no larger sizes left though.

As to vent holes I guess it's a personal choice. I much prefer them and would rather have them than not, but I also live in one of the hottest driest parts of the world being in the middle of Australia. Never really thought about how the hole/s "looked" as I'm just used to seeing them on a great many hats we wear downunder.

Awesome looking lid, love the colour. May have to get myself something in Moonstone. I like the campdraft, but I'm not a fan of the smaller ribbon, give me a mash up of the Fed with the Campdraft.

Be a shame to see the Bushman model go, Akubra have been doing them for a long time.

Last edited:

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I'm resurrecting this hilariously wide-ranging thread after being made aware of it by Brent, after posting about my new Bushman over on page N°385 of the Akubra Overload thread.

Rather than repost those pictures, here are a few new ones I took today. I'm really loving this hat, I've barely taken it off the last few days, and it feels like an old favourite already.

IMG_3175.JPG
IMG_3177.JPG
IMG_3178.JPG
IMG_3176.JPG

I'm resurrecting this hilariously wide-ranging thread after being made aware of it by Brent, after posting about my new Bushman over on page N°385 of the Akubra Overload thread.

Rather than repost those pictures, here are a few new ones I took today. I'm really loving this hat, I've barely taken it off the last few days, and it feels like an old favourite already.

View attachment 390961 View attachment 390962 View attachment 390963 View attachment 390964

Great hat worn well. Looks good and serves its purpose…what more could any of us want?

Love the dog too. After 14 years of love we said goodbye to our German Shepherd this fall, and hearts are still broken.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Great hat worn well. Looks good and serves its purpose…what more could any of us want?

Love the dog too. After 14 years of love we said goodbye to our German Shepherd this fall, and hearts are still broken.

So sorry to hear, our family German Shepherd lived that long as well, he was an incredibly gentle and loving member of the family and I've missed him, and having a dog, since I said goodbye to him well over 40 years ago.

Nia was abandoned, inexplicably, at a year and a half old, I adopted her exactly a year ago and she is has all the qualities that make these dogs so special, and with a gentleness, intelligence and sense of humour exceptional even for the breed. She loves my hats because she knows it's walk time whenever I reach for one!

IMG_3151.JPG

One Drop

One of the Regulars
In from the morning walk, an hour or so in the snow turning to rain. In this photo the colour is very deceptive, looking much closer to Akubra's Bran, which you can see in the Cattleman in the mirror. The other two there are a super soft and light Borsalino Alessandria, and a 7X Clear Beaver Stetson Open Road, a bit stiffer but also very comfortable for me due to the LO.

I steamed the brim of the Bushman while slightly stretching it from the inside into a long oval, 5 minutes later it went from fitting well to perfectly, negating the few weeks wait for it to conform naturally to my oval noggin. I might raise the dome a bit by making the telescope crease a little shallower, next time it gets thoroughly soaked.

This in one helluva hat, kind of a Goldilocks design for anyone needing a versatile allrounder.

IMG_3183.JPG

IMG_3182.JPG

Last edited:

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Half a year along and I can only continue to praise this hat, I'm really sorry I didn't get a tan one before they went out of stock and production.

I've since taken the liner out, deepened the side creases, raised the dome a bit and given the sides a tweak, adding a bit more curl towards the front. Small changes but it really made for a better overall look. Due to the size, the style, and the colour, it's just such a versatile hat for dressing up or down, and for protection against the elements it can't be beat.

IMG_3499.JPG

Half a year along and I can only continue to praise this hat, I'm really sorry I didn't get a tan one before they went out of stock and production.

I've since taken the liner out, deepened the side creases, raised the dome a bit and given the sides a tweak, adding a bit more curl towards the front. Small changes but it really made for a better overall look. Due to the size, the style, and the colour, it's just such a versatile hat for dressing up or down, and for protection against the elements it can't be beat.

View attachment 429433

Your Bushman has gotten better with age.

Tell us about your background, where was the photo taken?

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Thanks, it's breaking in slowly and gracefully !

I live in the western French speaking Swiss Alps, in a ski resort at 1500m altitude, very close to the French and Italian borders. It's spectacularly beautiful and ever changing with the seasons. I never cease to be amazed by this region. It's also heavily agricultural as well as touristic, small scale farming, with well protected forests, and lots of varied local fauna and flora.

Thanks, it's breaking in slowly and gracefully !

I live in the western French speaking Swiss Alps, in a ski resort at 1500m altitude, very close to the French and Italian borders. It's spectacularly beautiful and ever changing with the seasons. I never cease to be amazed by this region. It's also heavily agricultural as well as touristic, small scale farming, with well protected forests, and lots of varied local fauna and flora.

It certainly looks spectacular! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider