Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
I have a Moonstone in Heritage grade and a Bluegrass Green in Imperial grade and they feel the same as far as finish and softness. They have each softened up since I got them but neither one was stiff when I first received it. The only difference is the sweatband on the Heritage is a little bit better.

I pretty much agree about the difference in quality between the two. So far 1 bluegrass and 2 silver belly. I'm missing a moonstone Campdraft in the lineup, I'll probably order one, even though I swore off buying any more hats. I have no need for tawny. Akubra Campdraft, as well as others in their lineup, happen to be one of the best values in hats IMHO.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'm so stoked. Now the wait. Thanks again to everyone, particularly Bob, for the help. I'm really looking forward to comparing the Imperial and Heritage fur felts. Next will be a custom whiskey-colored job. Oboy!
Wlcm. After 2 Feds (one Deluxe) and 2 Camp Drafts (both Imperial) The Fed Deluxe is the least stiff. All 3 Imperial grades are quite "sturdy." I too am getting a custom for my next hat. Northwest Hats is doing a Navy Blue Winchester Beaver for me. PS. Northwest Hats is offereing a nice colored Winchester "Whiskey" in beaver too...

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Bob,you'll love Mike's work.
Thanks for the encouragement. I believe I will. Its my first custom and his work especially the creases and bashes seem so nice and clean and stlyish. I like open crown but after seeing his crowns n creases, I said "no way" Im going to have Mike do it. I could never bash what Im asking him for. His prices are kind on the wallet too!

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Thx. If your gonna order the Fed, I very strongly recommend the Heritage/Deluxe grade, if softness is important to you. My first Fed was Deluxe, the 2nd (Imperial grade) which I received a few months ago was terribly STIFF.

My personal experience is a little different from BR's.
I only have an Imperial Grade Federation IV from HatsDirect, but, along with an "American version" Akubra Adventurer, it is the softest and least stiff of all of my Akubra felt hats, which also include two Bushmen, a Campdraft, a Cattleman, a Coober Pedy, an RM, three Squatters, a Sydney, and a Territory.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's really interesting to hear the different responses, as it seems that perhaps different runs of a particular hat and felt may vary considerably in terms of stiffness, hand, etc. Might be a good question for one of our hatters.

Wlcm. After 2 Feds (one Deluxe) and 2 Camp Drafts (both Imperial) The Fed Deluxe is the least stiff. All 3 Imperial grades are quite "sturdy"...
Interesting. My Heritage Grade Fed IV wasn't any more or less stiff than my two Imperial Grade Fed IVs or two of my Imperial Grade Campdrafts. But the Heritage Grade felt, while not noticeably thicker, does somehow feel a bit more "substantial" than the Imperial Grade felt. All things being equal, I'd guess the Heritage Grade felt would outlast the Imperial Grade felt, but I'll probably never know because I'm convinced my Akubras will outlive me. :D

It's really interesting to hear the different responses, as it seems that perhaps different runs of a particular hat and felt may vary considerably in terms of stiffness, hand, etc. Might be a good question for one of our hatters.
This is why I specifically mentioned "two of my Imperial Grade Campdrafts" above. I currently have three, but when I received my second Campdraft it was considerably more stiff than any of my other hats. I believe the amount of stiffener applied to the felt during the process of forming it into a hat is a "best guess" scenario, and some hats get more or less stiffener than others.

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
I was emailing with Sam about a possible purchase of a new Leisure Time hat the other day and we got onto the Campdraft topic. He has 1 more Silverbelly Campdraft size 58 with a 2 5/8 brim. I believe that hat was intended for me from a special order a number of years back. The hat came in slightly soiled under the brim only so Sam had them redo my order and he kept the hat. Well the hat is still at his shop. He has sent me some photos I could post shortly if there is interest.

It is offered at a reduced price of $70 AUS so that is a marvelous value once converted to US dollars. Maybe a great hat for someone who is willing to take a chance. I have 2 Campdrafts with the 2 5/8 brim size and think they are near perfect. I would take it myself but I have 6 Campdrafts already.

You can always email him directly at EA if it strikes your fancy and you want first refusal. It is not offered on the online site specifically.

,,,Mike in Canada

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
Austalia is your only source. Hatsdirct.com for one week shipping or Everythingaustralian.com for a cheaper priced made to order lid that takes a few months to get. Both have Imperial felt. Hatsdirect has Heritage blend, a sturdier felt. At least thats what I learned a few months ago.

Willybob, can you elaborate on the difference in felt between Hats Direct and Everything Australian?

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
I just received a follow up email from Everything Australia saying that the Campdraft cannot be ordered in mid-brown. I seem to recall someone in these forums stating that custom orders were possible with a 90 day wait. No? Was it from Hats Direct instead?

Thanks,

- m

Duper

Practically Family
I just received a follow up email from Everything Australia saying that the Campdraft cannot be ordered in mid-brown. I seem to recall someone in these forums stating that custom orders were possible with a 90 day wait. No? Was it from Hats Direct instead?

Thanks,

- m
Mid-brown is not a standard colour offered in a Campdraft at this time. It has been gone for a few years off the Akubra menu. I have one. I do not think it was a very popular colour offering, hence its demise. If you wanted a mid-brown you can get something very similar from RM Williams but it is not open crown.

Custom orders do not mean pick any colour, any hat. The 90 days is if it is not a stocked model/colour at EA they will have it manufactured with a 90 day turn around.

,,,Mike in Canada

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
Mid-brown is not a standard colour offered in a Campdraft at this time. It has been gone for a few years off the Akubra menu. I have one. I do not think it was a very popular colour offering, hence its demise. If you wanted a mid-brown you can get something very similar from RM Williams but it is not open crown.

Custom orders do not mean pick any colour, any hat. The 90 days is if it is not a stocked model/colour at EA they will have it manufactured with a 90 day turn around.

,,,Mike in Canada

Thanks for the RM Williams suggestion, Mike. They don't currently have a 58 listed online in mid-brown, but I shot them a note inquiring about placing an order.

- m

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
Everyone here has been excellent at pointing me in the right direction, so I'd like to ask a rather "newbie" question: what else currently on the market is in the same vein as a Campdraft?

• Stetson Premier Stratoliner
  • Borsalino Alessandria
Am I missing anything? I'm partial to mink/mid-brown, for what it's worth.

I inherited a vintage Open Road in silverbelly from my grandfather, which I had bashed by Baron Hats into a teardrop (I'm way too "city" to pull off the Cattleman bash it came with, for what it's worth). That hat is single handedly responsible for sending me down the rabbit hole...

Thanks all,

- m

javadave61

Practically Family
My discovery of a vintage OR is what started me down the same hole.

I think the Campdraft leans more towards the OR specs than it does the Stratoliner specs. I think Strats are a little narrower in the brim (though they can be found in various widths, I believe). The Campdraft will be very close to the OR you inherited. Akubra once made Stetson's Open Roads, so depending on the age of your OR, it may have been Australian made.

Besides the Alessandria, most hat makers back in the day had OR clones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Duper

Practically Family
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I was emailing with Sam about a possible purchase of a new Leisure Time hat the other day and we got onto the Campdraft topic. He has 1 more Silverbelly Campdraft size 58 with a 2 5/8 brim. I believe that hat was intended for me from a special order a number of years back. The hat came in slightly soiled under the brim only so Sam had them redo my order and he kept the hat. Well the hat is still at his shop. He has sent me some photos I could post shortly if there is interest.

It is offered at a reduced price of $70 AUS so that is a marvelous value once converted to US dollars. Maybe a great hat for someone who is willing to take a chance. I have 2 Campdrafts with the 2 5/8 brim size and think they are near perfect. I would take it myself but I have 6 Campdrafts already.

You can always email him directly at EA if it strikes your fancy and you want first refusal. It is not offered on the online site specifically.

,,,Mike in Canada

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
Here's a shot of the Campdraft (center) with a vintage OR (right) and a Modern Premiere Strat (left)

55c43d1413172ce471aec831f5f3a90e.jpg

And here's the Strat stacked on the Campdraft. You can see the size difference.

3caeb98e24ae913b4b246ea4b2ca5968.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave, these are simply awesome. Thanks for the comparison pics.

You might be my evil twin (or vice versa). I have the exact same Strat, OR, and my first Campdraft arrives on Tuesday — all in the same colors! Your table cloth owns mine, however (kudos!).

- m

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points