Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
So, I've worn my CD for about a week and think I might have pushed my crease down too far with the Tear Drop crease.

Can I push it back out and try another crease? Maybe a C or Diamond?

Also my side creases are not wanting to define.

I just used a little steam when I bashed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

of course you can ... blow it back out with some steam and start again

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
Ok, here's my attempt at a more diamond shape. I have a pretty good crease around the edge that I'm trying to work out.

Here's a few questions:

Do the creases need to be tighter?

Did I go too far in on the front and back with the center crease?

Do the side look like they are supposed too?

Sorry for all the questions. Haha

3b9fcde52707a24f0c4756243305887f.jpg

45b013a1f9d9ae217cc82007f049945f.jpg

3ef6ff236041e0786230886b5f940af1.jpg

9f77a4586bb1de22edb51ea42e020438.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Ok, here's my attempt at a more diamond shape. I have a pretty good crease around the edge that I'm trying to work out.

Here's a few questions:

Do the creases need to be tighter?

Did I go too far in on the front and back with the center crease?

Do the side look like they are supposed too?

Sorry for all the questions. Haha

3b9fcde52707a24f0c4756243305887f.jpg

45b013a1f9d9ae217cc82007f049945f.jpg

3ef6ff236041e0786230886b5f940af1.jpg

9f77a4586bb1de22edb51ea42e020438.jpg

I would pull the back corners back a touch and define the corners a bit more as well.
Also I like my lines heading toward the front peak more straight. I also use the TommyK pinch.
Of course all just my opinion and this is simply the way that I and some other guys around like 40, Roger and Tommy do it.
It keeps it sharp with nice lines but also remains nonchalant .

always do what you like ... I am of course merely making suggestions ... I enjoyed guidance when I was first learning .... but make it your own my man

you are doing really great !!

Here are a couple Gannon's.

dedb1d59db48277d9dac425aa6fb0c39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone while orbiting the earth in a sea foam green 1957 Cadillac

Last edited:

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
I would pull the back corners back a touch and define the corners a bit more as well.
Also I like my lines heading toward the front peak more straight. I also use the TommyK pinch.
Of course all just my opinion and this is simply the way that I and some other guys around like 40, Roger and Tommy do it.
Here are a couple Gannon's

More like this moon?
b04e9dda574437ac7dda63bded95385f.jpg

The front crease I'm having problems getting like yours. But this hat just might not like it. Haha. It keeps coming back to this.

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
Cap I think you did a very good job on your crease. It's looks great on you. In my humble opinion, there's no "right way" for a crease to look. That's a good thing! Hats are individual expressions of the wearers taste. Yours looks great! Wear it well! And welcome to the lounge.

Thanks Preacher. I did have it in a diamond shape. But it made it look like an Aussie hat to me rather than an old school fedora. That's what I'd more like it like. This being my first Open Crown I know it's not going to be perfect. It is for sure going to be my own expression! Haha.

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
to get the front pinch the way I do it ... if you are at all interested ... check out @tommyK vid and illustration in the Monster Bash thread
he breaks it down masterfully

I'll check that one out again. I went mainly off yours this time. But I do remember now that he had one right after yours with a drawing to boot!

I think it looks great, Cap. The beauty part is, you can keep messin' with it if you want. I'm of the "punch it down on top and pinch the front, then put it on camp, myself. I tend to make a first pass at it, whether it's a diamond, teardrop, or whatever, and live with my result. I do change them occasionally, however.

The solution is to buy more open crown hats and practice!

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
I think it looks great, Cap. The beauty part is, you can keep messin' with it if you want. I'm of the "punch it down on top and pinch the front, then put it on camp, myself. I tend to make a first pass at it, whether it's a diamond, teardrop, or whatever, and live with my result. I do change them occasionally, however.

The solution is to buy more open crown hats and practice!

That's the best advise I've heard yet!!!!
"Buy More!!!" :)

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

always do what you like ... I am of course merely making suggestions ... I enjoyed guidance when I was first learning .... but make it your own my man

you are doing really great !!

Here are a couple Gannon's.

Will got stop showing those Ant? I'm trying NOT to buy any more customs for a while!

...The front crease I'm having problems getting like yours. But this hat just might not like it. Haha. It keeps coming back to this.
Remember, the felt on a brand-new Akubra will rarely respond to shaping the way the felt on vintage hats and/or customs like Moon's will, especially considering the amount of stiffener Akubra uses. I really like the diamond crease you've created, but for the hat to have that "lived in" look that Moon has so wonderfully achieved you'll probably have to live in it for a while. ;)

As for the front crease, you might be right about the hat not liking it. Sometimes you have to "listen" to the hat to find out how it wants to be shaped. For the first two years I had my Tawny Fawn Campdraft I struggled with warming up to it. I wanted to like it as much as I liked my Silverbelly and Bluegrass Green Campdrafts, and re-shaped the crown a few times, but decided the color must be the reason I didn't like it. Then it hit me--it wasn't the crown or the color, it was the way I had shaped the brim. I like the front of the brim snapped way down on most of my hats, and they're fine with that, but it just didn't work for the Tawny Fawn. The hat wasn't happy with the way I'd shaped it, and I hadn't been listening. So I re-shaped the brim (and it was really a minor change), and the hat and I became inseparable. The hat was much happier, and so was I. It sounds strange, but wait until it happens to you. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112