Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
Xylophile. I use the straight sided dome plastic crown mold from Hatshapers.com. Check em out. I have three. I pull the liner, remove the ribbon and cut out the sweat by snipping the thread. I get the hat body wet and use an iron over an old t-shirt to apply heat to the felt as I slowly pull it down over the crown mold and then iron it a lot and let it dry in place. Once done I hand sew the sweat back in. This is the hardest step as it is time consuming. I usually do it while watching a TV or listening to the radio. I use a simple figure 8 loop stitch with two needles, one on each end of the thread back and forth. All you need is the Hatshaper, an Iron, T-shirt, sturdy table to push down on, an small razor and thread.
View attachment 58524
Awesome Willybob!
When I can do all that I'll have complete freedom in my hat world. Now that I look at my BGCD it has as much taper as the Akubra Fedora.
Are you sewing the reeded portion of the sweat?
How do you think the long oval shape will effect things for me using your suggestions?

Willybob

A-List Customer
I pull my reeds. Never had any problems with out them but you can leave them in if you think the hat will stretch too big while wearing it. I wear a long oval so it works for me but its not that dramatic and probably won't have much adverse effect. I find that if I pull on a hat that is more round than oval, pressure at the front and back makes the brim flange down front and back too much and you can lose the sharp break where the crown and brim meets. The side brim can also tacos up. The side walls will be vertical but the front and back will taper. I wear a 7-3/8 + but size to a 7-1/2 to allow room for the hat to adjust to my head. Most everybody has an oval head. Side note: I only remove the sweat because using a Hatshaper with the sweat in will cause the Sweat to print and show on the outside of the crown.

Gabe Long

One of the Regulars
Bumping this thread, because I love my Campdraft. I gifted a Campdraft to my buddy for his birthday (I went halvesies with his wife because he loves my hats but only ever had cheapo wool or cloth jobs.) He's worn it every day for 3 months .
Day 1.
Capture (2).PNG

Day 70-ish.
Capture3 (2).PNG

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
Bumping this thread, because I love my Campdraft. I gifted a Campdraft to my buddy for his birthday (I went halvesies with his wife because he loves my hats but only ever had cheapo wool or cloth jobs.) He's worn it every day for 3 months .
Day 1.
View attachment 62760

Day 70-ish.
View attachment 62762

Great story. I wish the crease in mine had turned out that well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21