Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I think I'll go along with it being a good summer hat...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap...Though I'm still looking for a straw that breaths better than the 2 panama's I have...

RBH

Bartender
Colby Jack said:
I think I'll go along with it being a good summer hat...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap...Though I'm still looking for a straw that breaths better than the 2 panama's I have...
CJ, you may need to check out the LBJ milan I got from Miller, it re-creased [wet] pretty easy to a fedora style. And I of course treated it with Scotchguard after I finished with it. :D

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Does it breath well Russ?...I'm thinking of something with larger openings on tops to allow better air flow...but I'll check out Miller's again and see what I can find for next spring/summer....
Thanks again Rusty!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:

CJ, I've been pretty happy with my Stetson Retro
PANIABOCJKKJJIFL.jpg

and my Stetson Center Dent.
41kmtWRThdL._SS500_.jpg

You might want to see if you can find them on sale this late in the year. The Center Dent will probably set you back over $100.00. The Retro is probably $40-45. They're easy to find online. I believe both can be found on Amazon.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
kaosharper1 said:
Final Campdraft question: Is the felt hard like the old Federations (which I know softens with time), or soft like a Sydney?
Do you mean stiff or floppy? I thought mine was going to be stiff as a board by what I have read on here, but it is actually quite soft. The brim has a good snap to it but the hat is comfortable and got softer within one day of wearing.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Yeah, "stiff as a board." My Federation and Adventurer were both very stiff as was my Camptown Metro. I had to use a lot of water to shape them properly. OK. So I'm guessing its softer than a Federation III and firmer than a Sydney. Thanks. I've wanted an Open Road style hat for the warmer months and I may go for a Campdraft now.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
kaosharper1 said:
Yeah, "stiff as a board." My Federation and Adventurer were both very stiff as was my Camptown Metro. I had to use a lot of water to shape them properly. OK. So I'm guessing its softer than a Federation III and firmer than a Sydney. Thanks. I've wanted an Open Road style hat for the warmer months and I may go for a Campdraft now.
I have never had a hat stiffer than a camptown.
You will be very pleased with a campdraft.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
CJ, I've been pretty happy with my Stetson Retro
PANIABOCJKKJJIFL.jpg

and my Stetson Center Dent.
41kmtWRThdL._SS500_.jpg

You might want to see if you can find them on sale this late in the year. The Center Dent will probably set you back over $100.00. The Retro is probably $40-45. They're easy to find online. I believe both can be found on Amazon.
Carter...I'll check around on that Retro...It looks good...I just swaet up a storm in my other hats.
IC...you need to feel my Adventurer to understand that softness issue...and need to get my grubby's on an Akubra Fedora, which is also supposed to be very soft to start with...

RBH

Bartender
Colby Jack said:
Does it breath well Russ....
Thanks again Rusty!
I think so.. that said it does not have a open weave crown.

Colby Jack said:
Carter...I'll check around on that Retro...It looks good...

I also have a Retro.. I got it because the website said it had a 2 3\4 inch brim... got it and it was only 2 1\2. Just not enough for me.
But it is a nice looking hat, just not enough brim or crown for me.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
RBH said:
I also have a Retro.. I got it because the website said it had a 2 3\4 inch brim... got it and it was only 2 1\2. Just not enough for me.
I could stand a shorter brim...the Panama I have has a huge brim...Russ...How about that Indy straw...is it a breather?[huh]

RBH

Bartender
Colby Jack said:
I could stand a shorter brim...the Panama I have has a huge brim...Russ...How about that Indy straw...is it a breather?[huh]
Yep the Indy straw is a breather. But it also is a nice brimmed hat... not a shorty! I do need to tell you... the thin ribbon Miller [LBJ]is a nice hat!

Colby Jack said:
Ok...Whenever I see a Camp Draft post...I now feel the urge to post a pic or two also...
diamond1.jpg

CD-sideview1.jpg

Now I'll need the other colors also...The tawny, a dark brown and whatever else I can find it in.:D

I love the crease in this hat! Looks so... so... hand creased!
A fresh sweet hand creased hat!!! I just love it!!!
By the by... I happen to think this is the best looking hat I have seen you wear.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Ya know Rusty...I think you are so correct...I really love this hat and perhaps that fact shines through when I wear it...The crease is subtly evolving...but still has that hand creased look. Kinda goes with your other thread and Jimmy Stewart's creases...

carter

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
...I also have a Retro.. I got it because the website said it had a 2 3\4 inch brim... got it and it was only 2 1\2. Just not enough for me.

My Retro also has a 2 1/2" brim. I had the same surprise when I received it as I expected 2 3/4".

The Centerdent has a full 3" brim which is just about perfect for me.

The brim on my Cuenca from Panama Bob is soooo wide that I seldom wear it. I'd like to have it cutdown and bound but don't know if this is a good idea.

CJ, I agree with RBH. I think you look great in that Campdraft. It suits you well. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
THanks for the $ tip fedoraman!

Colby Jack, your photos swung the vote! I ordered a tawny fawn Campdraft this evening. I also asked if it can be special ordered in bluegrass green as it can on some other sites (3 mo wait @ Everything Australian). I hope it arrives as soon as my last Akubra did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff