Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Hats

Kangfish

Familiar Face
Hi. I'm looking for my next hat and have been checking them out on line. I've noticed that Akubras are competively priced. I had thought they would be more expensive since I see a lot of disscusion about them here. Are they really good quality or favored for styles or what? I'm new to real hats and am finding I have a lot to learn. I've learned an awful lot here and I thank you all! Thanks for any advice. - John P.S. How many posts must I have before I'm allowed to PM someone?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
starbrightscree said:
...Are they really good quality or favored for styles or what? ...

Welcome Mr. starbrightscree. Akubra makes good quality hats and have a whole slew of styles to choose from.

I currently own a Campdraft and a Squatter and will be ordering a Cattleman soon. The fit and finish and felt quality is superb for hats in these price ranges although indycop recently pointed out to me that the ribbon ends on my Campdraft were of significantly different length :eusa_doh:.

Akubras are a good value. You get lots of bang for your buck.

MattJH

One Too Many
starbrightscree said:
I see a lot of disscusion about them here. Are they really good quality or favored for styles or what?

There is more about Akubra than seemingly every other topic combined here in this Hat forum. Familiarize yourself with the Search function; it works very well!

pauljmuk

New in Town
Akubra, are top quality generally

Depends though on the type of lid you want?

I dont think many would argue on here, that when it comes to working, functional hats, Akubra lead the way. When you look at their classic country/ western styles, those hats are designed to withstand everything, and have stood the test of time. Wear a cattleman and you can withstand all elements ,and the odd kick from a randy piece of livestock - superby made.

Cant personally speak for the Akubra fashion ranges vs other hatters - but they have a helll of a pedigree - hats like the Campdraft and Federation are huge hits on here.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Akubras are very good quality and are competitively priced because they're in Aussie dollars which have gone down a lot relative to the US dollar. A year ago you would have paid 30% higher just because of the currency adjustment.

pauljmuk

New in Town
but even when higher priced, they were sought after. So, I suppose it's fair to say, that they are CURRENTLY an absolute bargain, and previously a great hat for a commensurate price.

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
Definitely next on my list...does any one know if it was Akubra, or what brand they used in the movie "Australia" with the always beautiful Nicole Kidman?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Definitely next on my list...does any one know if it was Akubra, or what brand they used in the movie "Australia" with the always beautiful Nicole Kidman?
Akubra worked with the costume designer for that movie and made the hats for it though they were not exactly the same as currently available models. There are some posts about this here back when it came out.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
That grey Akubra she wears in the cattle drive scenes revived my interest in hats, led to my coming here to the FL, and to buying two Fed IVs from HatsDirect.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I have a Campdraft and a Fed IV (both purchased here on the lounge) and really enjoy them both. I'm wearing the Campdraft in my Avatar Picture. I get lots of great comments when wearing either of them. I always wear a hat, no matter where I 'm going or where I am. That's why I'm called Terry "The hat!" The Akubras are my newer ones. I have some really nice vintage hats that I enjoy wearing also.

NivlemRulz

New in Town
Love my Federation IV Deluxe. I have never felt the standard, but I still think the upgrade to the deluxe is well worth it. I bought the hat for an outdoor can survive anything hat (and of course wanted an Indy hat ;-) ), I haven't tested it in extreme conditions, but it still looks great and is my go to everyday hat.

I have an Akubra Campdraft, Squatter and Bushman. They tend to be my "go to" hats most of the time.
The others come in when my mood changes or i am looking for a specific hat and attire ensamble.

Akubras represent a well made fairly high quality production hat. Most are fairly stiff when new but with use will soften a bit. They tend to be able to hold up to use and some abuse so there have been a thread or two about longest lasting Akubras. As a fur felt they are cleanable and can be reblocked. So they offer a good value for the price. Some styles are carried by David Morgan here in the US but some you have to go to the Austrailian hat places and order there. (Also it seems like they can sometimes respond to the need for colors that are not part of the usual offerings.)

I have several hats that are other than Akubra that i love and some I would hate to lose or have stolen. Akubras are loved but much more easy to replace than some vintage fedoras I have. That's why they are my go to hats: good looking, well made, won't break the bank.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
I have 3 Fed IV Deluxe's, a regular Fed IV, 4 regular Camp Draft's, and 1 Campdraft Deluxe. I love all of them. I have a few other hats but they aren't even close to being as comfortable as the Akubra's. The thing I like most about the Akubra's is the sweat band. It's really soft. Even on the standard grade hats. Since the sweat band is arguably the most important part of the hat, it has to be comfortable. If it ain't, you're not going to wear it. The Akubra sweat band is. I have pretty much forsaken all other brands of hats for just that reason. I have yet to come across a sweat band on any other hat by any other brand that's as soft and supple as the band that Akubra puts in their hats.

As for the felt, it's great. No complaints. Akubra makes a really nice hat, and sells it at a reasonable price. You can't go wrong with one. Plus, if you buy one and find that you don't like it for any reason - wrong size/color/whatever - someone on this site will buy it. Trust me. My first two Akubra's were purchased used from a fellow Lounger. I am the 4th owner of the regular brown Fed IV, and the 2nd owner of a Bluegrass Green Camp Draft. I have gotten dirt and stains on mine. Whatever wouldn't come off with a horsehair hat brush came off with a dry hat sponge. They love the rain, and aren't afraid to get dirty.

I'm not sure there's much more anyone could say about Akubra hats. They kinda have a cult following. With good reason. They are a terrific value, even at today's exchange rates. The folks at The Hattery are really nice to do business with. And considering the time differences they are quick to respond to questions.

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
A place round here has about 10 different styles of Akubras for btw. $150 and $200. Tried them on but most were narrower brims than I like and the felt was thinner than my Stetson cattleman. They're nice hats but just don't work for me that well so I'm staying with Stetson beaver felt, 4" brim and cattle crease which is the only kind of hat that I like and that looks right so I'm kinda stuck with them...lol

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I own 2 Akubras, a Stylemaster and a Camp Draft. I've had them for a couple of years now and they're two of my go-to hats. They may not have the "fine feel" of some of the other lines out there, but they're good quality.

Mar Kc

New in Town
Hi all,

Though perhaps unrealistic, I'm seeking a versatile hat that can do it all: namely, moderate sun protection, moderate rain protection, can be worn travelling in cities and occasional bush; and in the city with business casual without drawing too much attention. Low maintenance is a must. I travel quite a bit, mostly to warmer climates and moderately urban environments.

My wardrobe consists of grey, charcoal, black, navy, denim, blue, and white dress shirts. I tend to wear brown an tan leather coats and /or shoes. For my work I wear almost exclusively black shoes.

I'm east asian, 5-11, 160 lb. I used to have a black Akubra adventurer, but someone loved it more than I so I donated it.

Here is my short list:
- fed 4 in moonstone;
- stylemaster in moonstone, carbon grey, or fawn;
- banjo paterson in fawn;
- hampton in grey.

Opinons?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ