Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Hats

Mar Kc

New in Town
In general, imo, you won't find a better production hat than an Akubra. And you'd have to spend some on a custom to better it. I've owned about eight or so myself, across various models, all winners.

I'm not sure there's one, single design that does everything you want, but some may come close. Most of the felts will be too much for hot climates; I spend a significant amount of time in Bejiing in May and June for work (I'm actually there now as I type this), and I certainly wouldn't wear a Federation here at this time of year - or a Campdraft. Both are unvented and lined styles. I own examples of both - lovely hats. The Federation, for me, is the classic American (even though Aussie made!) Fedora, the Indiana Jones type.... I look no further for a Winter / Autumn / Spring felt fedora. The Campdraft is a classic OR style Western; I have mine bashed and steamed into a fedora shape (no snap brim, but I steamed mine up at the back and down at the front, how I like it). My Feds and the Campdraft are very similar - I really have to hold them against each other to notice the difference in the brim. The crown on the Campdraft gives the appearance of being noticeably taller, but it isn't really: it's just the thin ribbon causes that optical illusion. If I'm wearing a felt hat in the heat, though, what I really want is a vented one. I have an Akubra Riverina (bush-hat type; I think the closest current model is the Coober Pedy - https://hatsdirect.com/collections/the-akubra-range-1/products/coober-pedy ). I changed the look a bit by steaming a narrower pinch and removing the leather hat band for my own, hand-wound pugaree to give it more of a classic, thirties-big-game-hunter look. I've woprn that hat a lot in China and India in hot weather (up to 37ish degrees). By a certain point, a straw is really a better option in terms of being cooler, but as a felt all-rounder, the vented Akubra does really well. I've worn it in heavy rain (2008, Hong Kong's worst rain in the 120 odd years they'd been keeping records), and it coped absolutely fine.

For my money, the absolutely most flexible option you might have would perhaps be a moonstone campdraft with some vents added aftermarket (you'd need to find a hatter who can do this, or perhaps buy from one who would before you take it home / receive delivery). That would be a bit dressier than any of the bush-type hats, while not looking out of place with casual wear. I have worn my Riverina with suits, though, and it was fine. A cracking all-rounder. I wouldn't rule out picking up a cheaper straw as well, though - some temperatures (like Beijing this week) it's just more bearable than a felt will ever be. I have several Akubra Capricorns; I'm wearing a grey one with a bluish band this week. Polystraw, which is great - they cope a lot better with getting caught in a downpour than real straw. The Capricorn is very cheap and has a classic look to it. I have them in the natural, the grey, and two in one (one with brown band, the other black). The white one definitely improves with the new 'sheen' off it, but they're all great when felt is just too, too hot.

As with anything else, the more used you are to a high crown, the less it feels 'odd'. I like them, they're a great look.

In terms of colours, I think the most versatile of all would be a moonstone Fed with a silver-grey ribbon instead of the black, or perhaps a burgundy one. If they could offer them with custom ribbon colours and an optional wind tunnel, I'd never look at anything else for a fedora.

FWIW, the Adventurer you had will be very similar in dimension and look to the Fed, as both models were ultimately an attempt to create a production Indiana Jones type hat.

This is a pragmatic solution. But, I think the fed4 and the campdraft are in order...

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
@Benny Holiday - Id been previously studying these photos from other posts. I'm being persuaded to go with the Fed 4 and the campdraft... this is a tough call. Thank you for your input; and I think you wear the stylemaster sublimely!
If this doesn't persuade you nothing will.
20170323_123440-1.jpg

Willebe

A-List Customer
I just ordered from the Hattery, so it should be here in about 3 weeks. I refrained from expediting the order since the extra $15 will buy the bicycle part that I need.

I ordered the 60cm after reading a thread on the forum about Akubra sizing. My Tilley is a 60cm, and it fits well, neither tight or loose. I measure my head post haircut, and it measures a 1/4 inch smaller than before at a whopping 7 3/8 in. My previous measurements put me at 7 1/2in. From what I read, it will shrink after a little wear and it should be spot on the money. This will also let it conform to my head shape. Does this sound about right?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I was persuaded before, but any doubt has been removed as I will get the Fed first and the CD next time. I will also keep reading and learning how to find some vintage hats out there. Nice looking hat!

Thx! Moonstone a good color.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I just ordered from the Hattery, so it should be here in about 3 weeks. I refrained from expediting the order since the extra $15 will buy the bicycle part that I need.

I ordered the 60cm after reading a thread on the forum about Akubra sizing. My Tilley is a 60cm, and it fits well, neither tight or loose. I measure my head post haircut, and it measures a 1/4 inch smaller than before at a whopping 7 3/8 in. My previous measurements put me at 7 1/2in. From what I read, it will shrink after a little wear and it should be spot on the money. This will also let it conform to my head shape. Does this sound about right?

Sounds good to me.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
For Father's day? I think I have earned it. I take good care of her and our 5 children. I am thinking I need the Fed IV in moonstone and the CD in bluegrass green. Then we can talk about the new Glock I want. [emoji56]

Then you will have to post in the Display case Show us your guns thread.....:)

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
@Windsock8e - thanks! Yes, I'm chinese and that fed 4 looks excellent on you.

Thanks. To be honest, when I first received it, I was a little overwhelmed. Here is me, looking overwhelmed, straight out of the box with no size tape:

cece4cb48d1c5a22faeeb103868f0dfb.jpg

My wife asked me about 6 times in the first 12 hours when I was going to return it, and since when was I a Mormon etc. My daughter sprayed juice across the kitchen laughing and my son thought it was a cool look.

Play around with it and then you just get the right size crown etc (took me about a week whilst watching Boardwalk Empire reruns for inspiration) and Diamond Authority Or Moontheloon videos. I wear it to work 1-2 times a week, although now getting warm.

What I was told by a Lounger and they are absolutely right is that after a while, you can't imagine brims less than 2+ inches and even then that is small. I passed up a lovely lovely felt Royal Deluxe vintage Stetson on brim size and colour last week in a shop.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. To be honest, when I first received it, I was a little overwhelmed. Here is me, looking overwhelmed, straight out of the box with no size tape:

My wife asked me about 6 times in the first 12 hours when I was going to return it, and since when was I a Mormon etc. My daughter sprayed juice across the kitchen laughing and my son thought it was a cool look.

Play around with it and then you just get the right size crown etc (took me about a week whilst watching Boardwalk Empire reruns for inspiration) and Diamond Authority Or Moontheloon videos. I wear it to work 1-2 times a week, although now getting warm.

What I was told by a Lounger and they are absolutely right is that after a while, you can't imagine brims less than 2+ inches and even then that is small. I passed up a lovely lovely felt Royal Deluxe vintage Stetson on brim size and colour last week in a shop.
With you right there. Unless it's a sick deal on a beautiful or hard to find hat, I really don't want anything with a brim less then 2.5 and preferably 2.75 inches.

RJR

When you bash it to your taste I think it will be perfect on you.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
one of the things I hate about Akubra hats ... the whole sizing inconsistency

I don't want to buy a hat and have to break it in and wait for it to size properly ... hell ... I hardly want to do that with work boots and dress shoes

give me a hat I can crease and put on my head with immediate comfort ... like 99.9% of every hat in my collection

all this breaking in and waiting for shrinkage is nonsense to me

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Everybody's a critic. Stick with it, though, and pretty soon people will just get used to you as a guy who wears a hat. You'll also get so used to it you won't be able to go out without one.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer

I don't want to buy a hat and have to break it in and wait for it to size properly ... hell ... I hardly want to do that with work boots and dress shoes

give me a hat I can crease and put on my head with immediate comfort ... like 99.9% of every hat in my collection

To be fair, the Fed IV did adjust and now fits me very nicely, but having that risk when shipping around the world is not great. Hats Direct did ask me my exact measurement and said they would find the closest to my size which was great customer service.

The most comfortable hat I have is a size 7 Marathon; I am between a 7 and a 7-1/8 but this one was stretched a little by a previous owner and it fits me perfectly.

I may not have yet found the right sources in Europe, but you gentlemen in the US would appear to have much more choice between auction sites, estate sales etc. for quality vintage hats in your size - especially if looking for US manufacturers. Shipping and import duty can cost a significant amount ($50+). I am having limited luck in the UK, although there appears to be a better selection in vintage shops on the Continent (Europe).

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Everybody's a critic. Stick with it, though, and pretty soon people will just get used to you as a guy who wears a hat. You'll also get so used to it you won't be able to go out without one.

Don't worry, my 9 year old asked if I was a hat *collector* (with a kind of awed look).

So, I cannot say that as the selection is nowhere near the standard of many here, although I probably have about 10 fedora or trilbies and a bunch of other types now. My frustration is that half of them have too small brims or crowns (earlier acquisitions, when I was still in the wilderness, before accepting my inner wide brim, higher crown hat-self!).

I don't feel dressed now if not hatted (got to watch that auto-correct or it changes the meaning!).

FWIW, my 5 year old said "No, he's just crazy about hats". He also wears a lot of hats....

OK, back to the OP.

I just think of it like when I was younger and got a new pair of Levis.

At least we don't have to wear our Akubras in the bathtub or drive over them with a Buick to break 'em in.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto