• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Akubra Hats

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Kangfish, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Hurricane Jack

Hurricane Jack I'll Lock Up

I agree with what Bob said above, I don't believe this is a production change. It was either a special order/request or made from parts on the line at the time. Maybe a prototype. It's only a few months old & all the paperwork is supposed to be inside the original box when it gets here next wk.

Bob Roberts and KarlCrow like this.
  2. POST OF THE DAY!

3. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck One Too Many

Where did you get this hat?
    Johnny

4. Hurricane Jack

eBay. The tracker still shows Tues but it arrived at a sort facility in the area overnight. So I'm hoping it will be out for delivery tomorrow.

KarlCrow and Bob Roberts like this.
  5. I agree, and I kinda' like it. Whoever made those modifications appears to have known what he or she was doing because it doesn't look like it's been modified until you see the "Camp Draft" on the sweat.

RJR and Bob Roberts like this.
  6. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck One Too Many

That does not look like a Campdraft at all....... Wonder if it was just modified or maybe its ones of those counterfeit ones Akubra has been talking about. Does it have the crest on the sweatband? Logo in the crown? Let us know more about it when its arrives.
    Johnny

7. Hurricane Jack

[​IMG]

8. Cant remember... Did you say you were going to email some pics to Akubra and ask them?

Zombie_61 likes this.
  9. Hurricane Jack

No I didn't say that. It might help if I knew the original dealer. I'm thinking it might have been an outback type model & got the CD sweat. It's in the original box with papers inside. I'm not worried about it being a counterfeit. I'll know more this afternoon.

Michael R., Zombie_61 and Bob Roberts like this.
  10. To me it's really a matter of curiosity more then anything else. The manufacturer should kno for sure if it was made by Akubra.

Zombie_61 and Hurricane Jack like this.
  11. Hurricane Jack

Here's what I know so far: I'll start out with the specs as I measure them: 2-3/4" raw edge brim x 5-1/2" open crown with no taper (same as a CD). The brim has no flange giving the appearance of a slightly different block from the regular CD, it may actually be straighter. This is the Imperial grade felt but I will say both the crown & the brim are the softest of the other 6 Imperials & 1 Heritage felts I own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe it's the difference/lack of a flange that makes the block look slightly different from other CD's? I think it may actually be straighter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two cord ribbon wasn't even tacked down. It was just laying there loose so I easily removed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a matter of minutes I took it back to open crown, then tried a diamond crease, center crease & teardrop crease by hand & without steam. Then back to open crown again. So it should crease easily & hopefully set with some steam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought the hat off eBay from a seller in KY. According to documentation in the box including a business card the hat was originally sold from The Panama Hat Company in St. Augustine, FL. It arrived in an unmarked hat box which is probably a PHC box. They're not listed as an Akubra dealer. I have a call in for Tony Lippi now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  12. Benzadmiral

Benzadmiral Call Me a Cab

It's got a kind of "U.S. Cavalry commander on the Arizona frontier" look to it here. You'd just need the little decorations, the twin plugs or whatever they're called, on the front brim.

13. Willebe

Willebe One of the Regulars

It looks like someone was trying to copy the Stetson Gun Club Dune. I thought the hat looked familiar as I was looking at the Stetson Gun Club hats a couple weeks ago. It is a nice looking CD.

http://www.stetson.com/store/dune.html?color=silverbelly

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Zombie_61 and KarlCrow like this.
  14. Hurricane Jack

Maybe but that's a pretty common look. It won't look like that when I'm done with it.

15. I have a vintage Stetson 25 Corral that looks just like this CD, raw edge, 2 ply ribbon with the body of an Open Road. It is the spittin' image of this CD. A Dune has a bound edge.

16. Hurricane Jack

Do you think these hats could go back to the time when Akubra made the OR under contract for Stetson? I'm not sure how long ago that was, if you know? My hat is like new but could have been in the box for yrs. I didn't get much info by calling The Panama Hat Company or Tony Lippi. Instead of returning my call himself he had the same employee who had taken my original inquiry return my call. All she could tell me was PHC no longer has any association with Akubra & referred me to David Morgan. PHC does sell Stetson. When I asked her how long ago they sold Akubra hats all she could tell me was longer than two yrs ago, so I assume she really didn't know. She has probably only worked there two yrs.

Even if it doesn't pertain to this CD I would like to know more about that period when Akubra contracted with Stetson if you have any further info? If David Morgan is the historical authoritarian on Akubra then maybe someone could interview him? That would be interesting.

Michael R. and Zombie_61 like this.
  17. Hurricane Jack

Soon to be coming back from Scott:

[​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

I'm really liking the block of this CD. If anyone knows Tony Lippi or David Morgan personally, an interview with either concerning the period of time Akubra was making the OR under contract for Stetson, & what was to follow would be most interesting.

18. looking great

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  19. RJR

RJR I'll Lock Up

+1

20. Hurricane Jack

Found this interesting 2 page thread on the Stetson Open Roads made by Akubra prior to the Campdraft, started by Jimmy the Lid in 2010. Marked as such they are pretty rare hats now.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-akubra-open-road.52809/

On a side note has anyone read the book, The Akubra Hat by Jill Bowen? Only 76 pages, is it worth it to source one? Looking specifically for more info on the contracted OR/CD.

[​IMG]

KarlCrow and Bob Roberts like this.