Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Synycyl

New in Town
see the Post New Hats thread and the Ask a question get an answer thread
Imagine if everyone created a thread when they got a new hat or had a question ?
Mayhem

First of all, let me start by apologizing to moontheloon. I realize you were just trying to help, and I should have been more tactful in my response. Again, my apologies.

I've never heard anything about Akubra knock-offs either, and I've been participating in forums like this daily for 15 years.

I've got a Cattleman, and the rear of the crown is indeed a little lower than the front. Depending on the angle you're photographing it from, it doesn't always look that way. Anyway, that picture looks like it's got the usual factory shape. As far as why you're banging into the top of the crown - do you have an atypically narrow/tall head shape?

And regarding quality, these things are mega-tough and hold up great. Mine's been my summer hiking and yard work hat for a decade, and the only sign of wear on it AT ALL is that the little bronze Akubra badge on the band has turned a crusty green from sweat-rust!

In looking at my hat, the rear is indeed slightly lower, but I think it is a normal Cattleman bash. The photo I used makes it look more pronounced than it truely is. The inside of the crown just barely makes contact with my head, so fine tuning the hat band with some reducer may be all I need. It is not uncomfortable, but I don't want sweat to transfer directly from my head to the crown, and I figure it will feel a little cooler if there is airspace all around my head.

Regarding my paranoia regarding Chinese knock offs, it is because of a post I saw on Ebay. I know some forums don't like you posting ebay links, so I took a screenshot of the listing in question.
IMG_2230.PNG

It lists the country of manufacture as China. If you find the listing and look at the photos, the hat has Akubra markings in the crown, but the hat band is marked "100% Wool" in gold leaf, instead of the "Akubra", "Cattleman" (or appropriate model), and "Made in Austrailia" gold leaf markings in my hat. I don't think Akubra officially licenses their name to a Chinese manufacturer, but I could be wrong.

And thanks to Johnny and all the others that posted feedback and advice. I appreciate it.

Syn

Synycyl

New in Town
The band has a end cap on it. If it is missing that could be why the end of the hat band it frayed.
Enjoy your hat and wear it in good health.
Johnny

I think I may have messed up my terminology. The band that goes around the outside is fine, and looks just like yours does. I was referring to the inside leather piece that goes up against your head. That little piece of crossed white ribbon in the rear is what is a little frayed. Its the only thing on this hat that give me any indication that it was used.

Syn

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Welcome to our family, Synycyl.

Never mind Eeyore. He is just gloomy - especially when discussing Akubras. We'll throw him some thistles later.

You got a good deal on a fine hat. Does not look like a knock-off to me.

Yes, you can reshape the crown, but Akubra sweatbands tend to shrink a bit when you wear them, so I would bet that you will be wanting the crown as it is in short order. I suggest that you just continue with the pad in the sweat and wear it until is begins to adapt to your head. Then remove some of the padding over time.

Remember that Akubras are made to protect you so just wear it and do not worry overly much about it.

Again, welcome.

Fed

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Regarding my paranoia regarding Chinese knock offs, it is because of a post I saw on Ebay. I know some forums don't like you posting ebay links, so I took a screenshot of the listing in question.
View attachment 66240

It lists the country of manufacture as China. If you find the listing and look at the photos, the hat has Akubra markings in the crown, but the hat band is marked "100% Wool" in gold leaf, instead of the "Akubra", "Cattleman" (or appropriate model), and "Made in Austrailia" gold leaf markings in my hat. I don't think Akubra officially licenses their name to a Chinese manufacturer, but I could be wrong.

Had a looksee & I can tell you that isn't an Akubra. Someone has put an Akubra liner in a cheap wool felt hat, you can clearly see 'pure fur felt' printed under the crest so the hat & liner do not belong together. As already mentioned, there aren't any Akubra knockoffs but that doesn't stop sellers trying to pass el cheapo hats off as Akubras....in this case though I think that the seller doesn't know anything about hats & is just relating the info they can see on the hat, no fraud intended.
Your Cattleman is a genuine Akubra so no worries there matey.. ;)

lbgradwell

Familiar Face
I have been a lurker for a while, and just acquired my first felt fur hat, an Akubra Cattleman. I had been looking around this and other sites for potential first hats, and I happened to get this one on ebay for an opening bid price of $44.50 plus shipping. It is a size 61.

Welcome Syn,

I was watching that auction. I'd have been bidding against you except I got my own identical Cattleman back on September 30. I scored mine for US$38.50 and US$14.80 shipping from a Canadian seller and was quite pleased!

View attachment 66240

I actually reported this auction to ePay as a counterfeit item when it was first posted a week ago. Naturally, being ePay, they did nothing.

So I then emailed Akubra directly and told them about it. I received a reply from Andrew Angus, General Manager - Sales & Marketing who said he'd follow-up and let me know the outcome, but I never heard back from him either!

And now I notice the fake has been re-listed!

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
Ordered a Squatter from Hats Direct on December, 27 in Steel Grey Size 62. Watching the tracking info, It arrived in NYC on January 5 (I live in the Hudson Valley). So today when I checked again it had arrived in Toronto. ?? I hope it gets here some day.
Same thing happened to me, a month later finally arrived but not before MANY COMPLAINTS AND EMAILS. I found Australian Post customer service to be worse than non existent!!!!!

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
This may be a bit random, but does anyone have both a Banjo Paterson and a Tablelands? I'm trying to get a sense of how tapered the Tablelands is compared to the Banjo.

Thanks.

Last edited:
How Cool is This?

So a few weeks ago, I go to use the wind trolley on my BGG, and the darn thing breaks on me! The button must not have been pressed together adequately and it just fell apart in my hand. I tried (valiantly) to put it back together, but to no avail. All I managed to do was mangle it so it would never work again.

I emailed Everything Austrailian to inquire about getting a new wind trolley, and within 14 hours received a reply from Tim Martin at EA telling me he would contact Akubra about a new one. A few days later, Tim tells me he received the wind trolley from Akubra and it was going in the mail. On Friday, I got the wind trolley...

Wind Trolley.jpg

...and on Saturday I was back in action with a new one on my hat!

Wind Trolley 1.jpg

Are these guys (EA and Akubra) the best, or what?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
How Cool is This?

So a few weeks ago, I go to use the wind trolley on my BGG, and the darn thing breaks on me! The button must not have been pressed together adequately and it just fell apart in my hand. I tried (valiantly) to put it back together, but to no avail. All I managed to do was mangle it so it would never work again.

I emailed Everything Austrailian to inquire about getting a new wind trolley, and within 14 hours received a reply from Tim Martin at EA telling me he would contact Akubra about a new one. A few days later, Tim tells me he received the wind trolley from Akubra and it was going in the mail. On Friday, I got the wind trolley...

View attachment 69675

...and on Saturday I was back in action with a new one on my hat!

View attachment 69676

Are these guys (EA and Akubra) the best, or what?
Tré cool. Sam's the best. Did u work with him?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ