Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

boze

One of the Regulars
Why don't the AU sites have the Bushman? Was it replaced by the Campdraft? I'm looking to buy one and I'd prefer the bigger brim on the Bushman. Only place I see to order is David Morgan.

Also, are Akubras sized fairly true? I've been wearing my hair shorter and fitting 7 3/8 or 59 better in Stetson, Biltmore, Beaver, and my straw hats. I'm just double checking since it'd be impractical to return an order from EverythingAustralian.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Why don't the AU sites have the Bushman? Was it replaced by the Campdraft? I'm looking to buy one and I'd prefer the bigger brim on the Bushman. Only place I see to order is David Morgan.

Also, are Akubras sized fairly true? I've been wearing my hair shorter and fitting 7 3/8 or 59 better in Stetson, Biltmore, Beaver, and my straw hats. I'm just double checking since it'd be impractical to return an order from EverythingAustralian.

Certain Styles are only sold in some countries as in the Campdraft being only sold (I believe) in AU . The Bushman might be perceived as racist , but I don't know . The Pro 30 isn't sold in AU either . You can get a Bushman at David Morgan , JJ Hat Center , Village Hat Shop , and some other places . I bought one from Village Hat Shop on sale 2 or 3 years ago . All the Akubras I have are true to size , except the Bushman fit , and got snug over time . The others were lose when I received them .

Obsessed

One of the Regulars

I believe the Bushman is exclusive to David Morgan and the American shops that get their Akubras through David Morgan.

Wearing my MSCD today.

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3524.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

I know this approaches heresy here, but I've never been very interested in the Campdraft (for me, that is; it looks great on many guys here). The moonstone CDs, however, are really sweet, and very tempting!

Last edited:
I know this approaches heresy here, but I've never been very interested in the Campdraft (for me, that is; it looks great on many guys here). The moonstone CDs, however, are really sweet, and very tempting!
It seems most of those who don't like the Campdraft & by association the Open Road think they look too Western regardless of crease. The Diamond, Teardrop, & Cattleman probably being the most common, it's been shown throughout these various threads the CD/OR can look good with a Telescope or a center crease also.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

The Akubras are sized a tad large so that, after the initial shrinking from normal sweating, they'll fit perfectly. This has been the case for me with all four of my Akubras. If you have any questions, you might want to give the ladies at Hats Direct a call. They're very nice and extremely helpful.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
thanks Jack, I must consider it as a colour options next time I akubra.
We have a new verb to be added to the English language!

a-KOO-bra, v.i., to purchase a hat made by the Akubra Company of Australia

ex.: "I always akubra from Hats Direct," "I used to akubra all the time"
"You akubra, bro?"
v.t., "I akubred a new Campdraft," "I'm going to akubra a Territory," etc.

It seems most of those who don't like the Campdraft & by association the Open Road think they look too Western regardless of crease. The Diamond, Teardrop, & Cattleman probably being the most common, it's been shown throughout these various threads the CD/OR can look good with a Telescope or a center crease also.
The difference is the Campdraft does not have the cattleman crease. You can bash it into any shape you want. It can end up looking like the Open Road, the Stratoliner, or just about any shape. The Campdraft gives you a lot of options.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
The difference is the Campdraft does not have the cattleman crease. You can bash it into any shape you want. It can end up looking like the Open Road, the Stratoliner, or just about any shape. The Campdraft gives you a lot of options.
Jack knows well that the CD comes open crown ... he owns many of them

and up until Stetson started to suck Open Roads also came open crown ... as most hats did when hats were of better quality

Jack knows well that the CD comes open crown ... he owns many of them

and up until Stetson started to suck Open Roads also came open crown ... as most hats did when hats were of better quality

"Jack" may well know a lot of things, but from the post it was implied that the CD was a cattleman crease and therefore western. Not all of us know the history or itemized wardrobe of the other contributors and take the comments at face value. If I offended Jack with my incorrect assumptions I offer him my apologies.

I like my CDs and enjoy changing the crown and experimenting; however, I have never liked the Open Road style be it a Stetson or another make. It does feel too western to me, and while others pull it off we'll, it feels unnatural for me.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
"Jack" may well know a lot of things, but from the post it was implied that the CD was a cattleman crease and therefore western. Not all of us know the history or itemized wardrobe of the other contributors and take the comments at face value. If I offended Jack with my incorrect assumptions I offer him my apologies.

I like my CDs and enjoy changing the crown and experimenting; however, I have never liked the Open Road style be it a Stetson or another make. It does feel too western to me, and while others pull it off we'll, it feels unnatural for me.

he never once implied anything about the CD having a cattleman crease ... he even typed "regardless of crease"
he mentioned that some feel it looks western ... which is does ... traditionally a thin ribbon hat is associated with western style... thin ribbon wide brim hats have a western feel regardless of crease by the very nature of the hat.

Akubra was once licensed by Stetson to manufacture Open Roads ... Akubra created the CampDraft ...which is essentially the exact same hat they were making when they made the OR... in direct correlation to their relationship with Stetson .
the CD is Akubras OR

Last edited:
he never once implied anything about the CD having a cattleman crease ... he even typed "regardless of crease"
he mentioned that some feel it looks western ... which is does ... traditionally a thin ribbon hat is associated with western style... thin ribbon wide brim hats have a western feel regardless of crease by the very nature of the hat.

Akubra was once licensed by Stetson to manufacture Open Roads ... Akubra created the CampDraft ...which is essentially the exact same hat they were making when they made the OR... in direct correlation to their relationship with Stetson .
the CD is Akubras OR

the OR is a western hat
Now you are making erroneous assumptions about what I said and/or implied. I well know the history of Akubra and it's connections to Stetson. Perhaps it is best to let it go? Particularly since you are interjecting yourself into what, if anything, should be between the poster "Jack" and me. Again, if I have offended I apologize. I did re-read the post and perhaps I did make an assumption not intended, but there is the expressed opinion that the CD is western in flavor and that is an opinion that I do not share, thin ribbon and all. As it is an opinion it is neither wrong nor right; just one person's view. Feel free to have opposing views.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Now you are making erroneous assumptions about what I said and/or implied. I well know the history of Akubra and it's connections to Stetson. Perhaps it is best to let it go? Particularly since you are interjecting yourself into what, if anything, should be between the poster "Jack" and me. Again, if I have offended I apologize. I did re-read the post and perhaps I did make an assumption not intended, but there is the expressed opinion that the CD is western in flavor and that is an opinion that I do not share, thin ribbon and all. As it is an opinion it is neither wrong nor right; just one person's view. Feel free to have opposing views.

It is a country style hat ... really not an opinion

sure isn't a town or city style hat

you can think of it however you wish... but it was designed as a country style hat and that is exactly what it is

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana