Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

boze

One of the Regulars
Congratulations! It's a great hat and I'm sure you will love it. Which color did you get?
Thanks! I ordered the BG. I had a silver belly CD in my cart too but despite not being labeled as such it changed the ship date to three months so I removed it. I've been wanting both a CD (since watching Moon's clip) and a Bushman.

he never once implied anything about the CD having a cattleman crease ... he even typed "regardless of crease"
he mentioned that some feel it looks western ... which is does ... traditionally a thin ribbon hat is associated with western style... thin ribbon wide brim hats have a western feel regardless of crease by the very nature of the hat.
Moon, thanks for taking the time to read & comprehend what I wrote.

Now you are making erroneous assumptions about what I said and/or implied. ...Particularly since you are interjecting yourself into what, if anything, should be between the poster "Jack" and me.
Handsome, no harm done. Since the OP was about one of my hats taken from my post I certainly felt qualified to reply & felt it polite to do so. In the future I'll leave that to someone with more knowledge & expertise.

Moon, thanks for taking the time to read & comprehend what I wrote.

Handsome, no harm done. Since the OP was about one of my hats taken from my post I certainly felt qualified to reply & felt it polite to do so. In the future I'll leave that to someone with more knowledge & expertise.

Let me apologize again for the tenor of my posts. This is a wonderful site and I should have just let things go earlier. I'll be the first to admit that I can be a bit of a hot head and that I have a lot to learn on sartorial matters. I enjoy reading your offerings and look forward to seeing more in the future.

I think your post that led to this kerfuffle was in response to me, and I believe I understood your point. If I ever pull the trigger on an MSCD, I’m going to try a center crease.

The CD takes all kinds of creases well. If you like the Open Road look it does that well too. To each their own.

I think a more conventional fedora bash with a center crease will look great. Make sure you include photos when you get it. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy the hat. Cheers.

RJR

The CD takes all kinds of creases well. If you like the Open Road look it does that well too. To each their own.

I think a more conventional fedora bash with a center crease will look great. Make sure you include photos when you get it. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy the hat. Cheers.
+1

boze

One of the Regulars
Heads-up for anyone who doesn't frequent the FL classifieds: I just listed a brand new size 59 Campdraft in Bluegrass Green. It arrived today but it's a bit too small so I figured I'd pass it on at my cost if anyone was interested rather than starting an exchange. The color is great in person.
0a6bb1f8fbe7dbb98307035cd7c4f2c9.jpg
583d601cac0bc5fbe40d3b8988b8823b.jpg
a288fa113ac0ded8aa110c8a5df030de.jpg

txdog

New in Town
Hey guys i'm new here and looking to buy my first Akubra. I was leaning towards a campdraft since they're so highly regarded on FL. I'd prefer a raw edge and satin ribbon band. Should I just get a liesure time or banjo patterson and change the band and crease a little bit? Problem is I really like the bluegrass color and I only see that on the campdraft. I could maybe live with the small leather band on BP if I could remove the Akubra pin. Thanks for the suggestions.

txdog

New in Town
Heads-up for anyone who doesn't frequent the FL classifieds: I just listed a brand new size 59 Campdraft in Bluegrass Green. It arrived today but it's a bit too small so I figured I'd pass it on at my cost if anyone was interested rather than starting an exchange. The color is great in person.

What size head are you? My two custom felt hats are 7 3/8" long oval. I emailed a couple Akubra distributors and they told me 59 should be fine but I hate to get something in from Australia and it not fit.

boze

One of the Regulars
What size head are you? My two custom felt hats are 7 3/8" long oval. I emailed a couple Akubra distributors and they told me 59 should be fine but I hate to get something in from Australia and it not fit.
Yeah, I wish I could tell you for sure that it'd fit. I wear more 7 3/8 than 7 1/2 now that I'm wearing my hair shorter the past few years and I've sold a few size 60 hats for that reason.

What I don't know is if I'm more between sizes than you and that's making the difference here. My head measures 23 or 23 1/4". You can PM me if you want to try the green Campdraft. I'm in DC and live a block from a post office.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey guys i'm new here and looking to buy my first Akubra. I was leaning towards a campdraft since they're so highly regarded on FL. I'd prefer a raw edge and satin ribbon band. Should I just get a liesure time or banjo patterson and change the band and crease a little bit? Problem is I really like the bluegrass color and I only see that on the campdraft. I could maybe live with the small leather band on BP if I could remove the Akubra pin. Thanks for the suggestions.
Both hats are a fantastic choice. But they are very different beasts. The Campdraft is a tall, straight sided open crown hat with bound, turned up brim (fedora snap brim) and thin ribbon. The Banjo Patterson is a pre-creased hat with shorter tapered crown and a turned down brim (aussie style). It is difficult to reshape the crown of a pre-creased Akubra. Trust me I have tried. Both have similar brim size but if you are buying for sun protection the banjo would give better protection with the turned down brim. If you want more of the classic Fedora look the Campdraft will be the better option. Its really up to you on the look you want.
Good luck and let us know what you end up going with.
Johnny
BTW you can always pop the stitch on the brim binding and remove it from the Campdraft. May have some holes left over but that could just be considered character.

txdog

New in Town
Both hats are a fantastic choice. But they are very different beasts. The Campdraft is a tall, straight sided open crown hat with bound, turned up brim (fedora snap brim) and thin ribbon. The Banjo Patterson is a pre-creased hat with shorter tapered crown and a turned down brim (aussie style). It is difficult to reshape the crown of a pre-creased Akubra. Trust me I have tried. Both have similar brim size but if you are buying for sun protection the banjo would give better protection with the turned down brim. If you want more of the classic Fedora look the Campdraft will be the better option. Its really up to you on the look you want.
Good luck and let us know what you end up going with.
Johnny
BTW you can always pop the stitch on the brim binding and remove it from the Campdraft. May have some holes left over but that could just be considered character.

Thanks for that info. I am looking for more of a bush hat and a little less fedora style. Will I be able to tighten the pinch on the BP slightly? And will the Akubra pin come off the hat band?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for that info. I am looking for more of a bush hat and a little less fedora style. Will I be able to tighten the pinch on the BP slightly? And will the Akubra pin come off the hat band?
I am sure you can tighten the pinch slightly. If that is how you handle your hat it will probably happen naturally over time. If Akubra hasn't changed the band design since I bought my wife her Banjo, the pin just slides in. Only friction holds it in place. So it should come out fairly easily. I personally own a Coolabah (Croc band has an extra level of Cool) and the think the crown is basically the same. I love the hat, for me it suits my features.
BTW if you want to know what Akubra hats look like thrashed just look them up on Instagram. I don't baby my hats but I don't thrash them either. I cant imagine what some people do to their hats to get them that thrashed.
Hope that helps some.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto