Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Continued travels around Australia and New Zealand.

Who wore it better?

:)

IMG_7501_zpsbh86ok0d.jpg

IMG_7818_zpstffmlpyk.jpg

IMG_7203_zpslqkqdpxa.jpg

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Got a second hat in Australia.

Just outside Sydney, went to The Hattery. Lovely, very helpful ladies there, and a great selection of Akubras and other hats. Tried on a bunch of contenders, but decided on a Banjo Patterson in black. Years ago, I debated hard between a Lawson and a Banjo Patterson, and went with the Lawson. So now I've got the other.

You know how the days after you you buy a new hat, seeing it on yourself out of the hat store, it sometimes seems different to you? My other Akubras, I liked even more. This one, I'm not sure about yet. I really liked it in the store, but now the crown seems a little more rounded to me. And since I have a massive noggin, (7 7/8 or 63, Long Oval) I'm very sensitive to hats that that have a really tall crown or wide brim. This brim is great, but I'm not sure how the taller brim works with my big head.

IMG_7826_zps4epu3fpw.jpg

IMG_7852_zpsjlkqvygk.jpg

IMG_7851_zps1vlska8d.jpg

IMG_7854_zpslfzjhoai.jpg

IMG_7850_zpsy4ffdajn.jpg

IMG_7839_zpswn1ddc4r.jpg

IMG_7856_zpszakkbk6z.jpg

Continued travels around Australia and New Zealand.

Who wore it better?
An attractive young lady is always going to have at least a slight edge on the competition, but to be honest I think that hat looks damn good on both of you.

Got a second hat in Australia...You know how the days after you you buy a new hat, seeing it on yourself out of the hat store, it sometimes seems different to you? My other Akubras, I liked even more. This one, I'm not sure about yet. I really liked it in the store, but now the crown seems a little more rounded to me. And since I have a massive noggin, (7 7/8 or 63, Long Oval) I'm very sensitive to hats that that have a really tall crown or wide brim. This brim is great, but I'm not sure how the taller brim works with my big head.
The problem with "selfie" photos (i.e., photos taken at arm's length) is that they always seem to distort the true dimensions of a hat somewhat, so it can be difficult to determine whether or not a hat looks "right" on someone based on those photos alone. I do think a straight-sided "squarer" crown suits you, but the Banjo Paterson looks good on you as well. Many of us (myself included) tend to be overly critical about such details that 99.9% of the population doesn't even notice; to everyone else, you're just a guy in a hat. It's yours now, so wear it and enjoy it!

dad_bod

New in Town
Akubra Flemington help needed

I have my eye on a SH Flemington on a local online trading post. It's in another state (Tasmania) so it may as well be In another country. I'm waiting on some more photos.

the pics show it in very good condition. Problem is, it's hard to tell the colour and I don't know the sp civic brim size. It looks to be. Graphite gray, and I'm guessing he brim is 60-70mm?

I don't want to pester the seller with questions, and thought I would ask the knowledgable crowd about this hat. Can anyone give me the specs on the flemington please? E.g. Measurements, stock colours.

Akubra Flemington help needed

I have my eye on a SH Flemington on a local online trading post. It's in another state (Tasmania) so it may as well be In another country. I'm waiting on some more photos.

the pics show it in very good condition. Problem is, it's hard to tell the colour and I don't know the sp civic brim size. It looks to be. Graphite gray, and I'm guessing he brim is 60-70mm?

I don't want to pester the seller with questions, and thought I would ask the knowledgable crowd about this hat. Can anyone give me the specs on the flemington please? E.g. Measurements, stock colours.
I've never heard of the Akubra Flemington and found no mention of it on Akubra's website, so I'm guessing it's no longer in production. Google was of little help, but I did find an eBay listing from 2016 for an Akubra Flemington that stated "The brim is 2 1/2+ inches" (63.5 mm) and "The crown is 4 1/2+ inches" (114.3 mm). It's not much, but it's a start.

dad_bod

New in Town
I've never heard of the Akubra Flemington and found no mention of it on Akubra's website, so I'm guessing it's no longer in production. Google was of little help, but I did find an eBay listing from 2016 for an Akubra Flemington that stated "The brim is 2 1/2+ inches" (63.5 mm) and "The crown is 4 1/2+ inches" (114.3 mm). It's not much, but it's a start.
You Sir, are a true gentleman. Thanks for your help. I searched eBay for completed and sold items but found nothing. But I'm not very good at eBaying.

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
This is so interesting. Almost back-to-back posts:
Another thing about Trudi from the Hattery... a salesperson in a quaint little shop in a little town somewhere in Australia, celebrated by people a world away. We live in great times.

And contrasted with this:

Since the dawn of man, any new technology was a two-edged sword. Fire could warm the home, but could also burn the house down. The ubiquity of the internet today is no different.

My heart goes out to the young lady's family.

dad_bod

New in Town
I feel a bit bad following up the sad posts ^^^ with a post about a hat. Anytime a person takes their own life its a sad day. When a young person does it, especially as a result of bullying it's a tragedy.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
An attractive young lady is always going to have at least a slight edge on the competition, but to be honest I think that hat looks damn good on both of you.

The problem with "selfie" photos (i.e., photos taken at arm's length) is that they always seem to distort the true dimensions of a hat somewhat, so it can be difficult to determine whether or not a hat looks "right" on someone based on those photos alone. I do think a straight-sided "squarer" crown suits you, but the Banjo Paterson looks good on you as well. Many of us (myself included) tend to be overly critical about such details that 99.9% of the population doesn't even notice; to everyone else, you're just a guy in a hat. It's yours now, so wear it and enjoy it!
Hi, Wildblue, and welcome to Club 63! I think there are now three of us. Zombie's advice (above) is, as usual, dead-on. Also, though, I'd add that hat brims and heights are relative to the face underneath. In my case I find that the larger brims (between 2 5/8 and 3") suit me best and crowns, well, it depends on the hat. Another thing I've found is that folks with larger heads and northern European, wider faces almost always look better with little or no taper to the crown. I think I mentioned on one of these threads that when I first got into hats I got a Borsalino online, but when I took it out of the box and put it on my head and looked in the mirror I saw Zippy the Pinhead looking back at me (wasn't the first time, actually). Since then it's been Akubra or custom, all the way. Anyway, those look fine on you. Cheers.

One of the Regulars
Got an Akubra Territory from David Morgan that lacked the vent holes. A Territory was on the short list back when I first discovered Everything Australian and Aussie Bush Hats online but I decided on a hat without holes in the side of the crown instead. When I saw this one being sold at a discount because it didn't have holes in it, I just had to have it even though I hadn't planned on getting another hat for a while. No holes and a discount, I just couldn't talk myself out of it! I'd have paid extra to get one without the holes.
I've always thought the Territory had a 4 inch crown, almost all vendors websites agree on that...but I was happy to find that this one at least is 4.5 inches, it makes a big difference, I think. I was actually expecting a wider brimmed Cattleman and had thought I might trim the brim a bit but will leave it as is now. This is my new favourite lid, at least for now.

Pic from Morgan's website;

1627fwn-rej_lg8.jpg

Last edited:

Briarup

New in Town
1ddf76a0e0dc9e2db00305398713cbda.jpg
5f18dbd46ff4783fde5332ee40859321.jpg
9b3e3469b7ee706151da004a9d2b23bc.jpg
fdc0ad630d9a9114616359e1cfa1eff0.jpg
My first Akubra and my very own Indy Raiders "The Poet" hat. Its a Federation Deluxe. I am ver surprised that this is very close to the quality of my vintage 40s hats. To me, I think Stetson now a days has work to do.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Hi guitarmasta12, would you tell us the color of the Fed IV Deluxe of these pictures... would it be Heritage Fawn?
Thanks...

Briarup

New in Town
I wonder if you gents would be kind and post photos of your Fed IV Deluxe in Heritage Fawn color... that would be very helpful for me to decide a purchase...

Many thanks !

glider

A-List Customer
I've read a lot about the felt hats but nothing about Akubra straw. Since it is just about time for straw I'm thinking my first Akubra might be a straw. I think an everyday hat with a stampede string might be just what I need. Any suggestions for a nice straw Akubra that will last a long time.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
I've read a lot about the felt hats but nothing about Akubra straw. Since it is just about time for straw I'm thinking my first Akubra might be a straw. I think an everyday hat with a stampede string might be just what I need. Any suggestions for a nice straw Akubra that will last a long time.

Be aware that the Akubra hemp hats are very rigid, not soft like many straw hats.

Akubra makes “straw” hats in a few different materials. I own one in polypropylene (the Country Club) and One in hemp (Balmoral). They are both decent hats, but the Balmoral is on the heavy side for me; much heavier than my hemp Stetson Stratoliners. To my way of thinking, the Balmoral is more of a work or outdoorsy hat and can’t be dressed up much. Kind of depends on what you’re after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui