Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Riverina safari-ized

Edward

Bartender
Fantastic looking hat. I've been toying with the idea of a safari style for a while, specifically with those Summer days when (due to rain or whatever) a Panama just isn't the thing, and yet a regular lined felt fedora just doesn't cut it either, in mind. It looks like that model would be ideal - I was also toying with the idea of a Snowy River too.

I presume if I make use of the search facility I'll find a step-by-stp guide somewheres as to how to fit a pugaree?

Mike K.

One Too Many
If you check on the adventurer's gear thread you'll find the link on how to wrap a pugarree.

As for the Akubra Riverina, it is actually a lined fur felt hat.

Edward

Bartender
Mike K. said:
If you check on the adventurer's gear thread you'll find the link on how to wrap a pugarree.

As for the Akubra Riverina, it is actually a lined fur felt hat.

Thanks.

They are lined? Ah, I'd assumed (oops, classic mistake) unlined because of the ventilation holes... still, if it's designed as a Sarafi / outback type hat, it should still do the job I want. :)

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
I tried to order one and got an error message that the web site's security certificate has been revoked. Anyone know anything about that?

Donato

One of the Regulars
I just ordered the Akubra Riverina from outbackoutlet.com for $47.95 shipped! The hat is selling there in Fawn for just $39.99, whereas every other online vendor is charging up to $169.00. Grab one while they last!

Edward

Bartender
RockBottom said:
I tried to order one and got an error message that the web site's security certificate has been revoked. Anyone know anything about that?

I had the same problem - are you on Vista, by any chance? I've recently been issued with a new machine and it's running that OS.... I've heard of all sorts of compatability issues, so that might have something to do with it? Seems to me that the business isn't some dodgy fly by night given several folks on here have dealt with them and been pleased... I emailed them directly and they said they'd sort something out for me this week. Hopefully it's just a glitch, as this is an excellent deal.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Thanks.

They are lined? Ah, I'd assumed (oops, classic mistake) unlined because of the ventilation holes... still, if it's designed as a Sarafi / outback type hat, it should still do the job I want. :)

That raises a question which I'll pose to the group--is there any problem with cutting the lining out of a lined hat? I'm interested in using one of these for flyfishing and with all the exertion involved sloshing around waist deep on slippery rocks at places like my favorite Penn's Creek (below), I'd rather it be unlined.

Penns_Creek.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
Straight from the source...

Well gents the verdict is in! I just received my second Akubra Riverina that was ordered from Outback Outlet. There was some earlier question about the color and how close it was to my original "safari-ized" version. Well, it turns out the the hat I originally ordered (listed as "khaki") is the exact same as the one sold at Outback Outlet (listed as "fawn"). Both are a light tan with a definite greenish hue. Now if you look at the Akubra website, you'll find that "khaki" and "fawn" are actually two distinct colors.

RockBottom - if done carefully there should be no problem removing the lining of the hat. Liner removal might make the hat a bit cooler to wear.

Edward - out of the box the hat is not really a classic safari hat; it looks a bit more "western" style. However, if you re-bash the crown with a tighter, more forward pinch (fedora style) and replace the braided hat band with a pleated/pugarree style then you'll easily have the classic safari look.

Donato

One of the Regulars
Mike K.,
The only color available right now for the Riverina at outbackoutlet.com is "fawn." This is the color they have posted on their website. This isn't your khaki, is it? Thanks
AkubraRiverina.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
Ooops! I meant to type "fawn" - already corrected in above post.

The Outback Outlet photos show the hat to be much more brown than it actually is. It's definitely a lighter greenish khaki.

Donato

One of the Regulars
Thanks Mike. I had hoped that the photo was true to color as I just ordered an Akubra Stylemaster in Acorn Fawn, which clearly is lighter...but for $39.99 I can live with a fawn Riverina.

Edward

Bartender
Mike K. said:
Edward - out of the box the hat is not really a classic safari hat; it looks a bit more "western" style. However, if you re-bash the crown with a tighter, more forward pinch (fedora style) and replace the braided hat band with a pleated/pugarree style then you'll easily have the classic safari look.

Thanks. :) I'd banked on having a pugareee fitted (looks like that's going to be a learning experience!). I noticed in your first post you've reshaped the hat a bit. A couple of weeks ago I'd have been frightened by that, but having bashed my first Fed this past weekend and realised how easy it actually is (especially when you're not trying to replicate a specific movie look... ;) ), the reshaping isn't at all scary. :) I'm hoping that if i can get hold of one of these I can make it turn out even half as well as yours has. :)

Mike K.

One Too Many
Not to worry. If I can do it, anyone can.
This was my first attempt at re-bashing a hat and all I did was mist the pinch with hot water using a spray bottle, then reshape as I wanted.

Edward

Bartender
Mike K. said:
This was my first attempt at re-bashing a hat and all I did was mist the pinch with hot water using a spray bottle, then reshape as I wanted.

I thought about hot water for my Fed, but (following the information sheet HatsDirect.com enclosed) I intead held it over a pot of boiling water, which worked very well and meant I only had to leave it to cool, rather than dry. :)

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
You guys are trouble!!

Yet again I'm on my way to the dog house, because I have to have one!!!

And as far as the safari venture... That's another reason I've been looking into fez, turbans and keffiyehs. You see I've been trying to network some of the RAF and German WWI and WWII reenactors together for some summertime events and a vintage live-fire.

Thanks again for the leads!!!

Donato

One of the Regulars
Mike K. said:
Mike,
Did you use a 1 inch cotton twill tape or and then wrap it around to the height you wanted? Was it lightweight or heavyweight twill? (Both are available in white or natural colors.) How high do you recommend the band to be for this hat? I was thinking 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Thanks for your help with this.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
RockBottom said:
That raises a question which I'll pose to the group--is there any problem with cutting the lining out of a lined hat? I'm interested in using one of these for flyfishing and with all the exertion involved sloshing around waist deep on slippery rocks at places like my favorite Penn's Creek (below), I'd rather it be unlined.

Penns_Creek.jpg

The liners are glued in. The usual way to remove one is:

1. Turn the sweatband down, so it will be out of the way.
2. Gently, but firmly, pull on the liner, tearing it loose from one glue spot at a time. There are usually four to six glue spots. Akubra can sometimes be generous with the glue, so you may see a fair amount of felt stuck to the liner, at the glue spots. (It might be theoretically possible to tear through the felt, to the outside of the crown, but I've never seen it happen. I have, on occasion, torn a liner that had started to dry rot, but it was considerably older than what you're talking about.)

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
J.T.Marcus said:
The liners are glued in. The usual way to remove one is:

1. Turn the sweatband down, so it will be out of the way.
2. Gently, but firmly, pull on the liner, tearing it loose from one glue spot at a time. There are usually four to six glue spots. Akubra can sometimes be generous with the glue, so you may see a fair amount of felt stuck to the liner, at the glue spots. (It might be theoretically possible to tear through the felt, to the outside of the crown, but I've never seen it happen. I have, on occasion, torn a liner that had started to dry rot, but it was considerably older than what you're talking about.)

Thanks! I'm hoping it gets here in a day or two and I can take a shot at it. Outbackoutlet is in Oxford, PA, so it's only a hour from me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk