Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Riverina safari-ized

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Edward said:
Aha! Thanks, BT, I get it now. It all pointed towards India, but i didn't get why that specific style of band had been developed: the stylistic nod to a turban makes perfect sense.

Hopefully I'll have one of these hats soon, and I'll definitely modify the bash a little and add a pug. Who knows, it might make for a difficult choice between that and the Fed Deluxe to be the one hat that goes to China with me for three weeks in May/June...
I'd say it depends primarily on how much time outside versus in whilst in China. I wanted this hat specifically for the turn-down brim for sunny days here in the desert. The snap brim on my Hardeman looks nice, but doesn't do a bloody thing to keep my neck from burning!

Edward

Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
I'd say it depends primarily on how much time outside versus in whilst in China. I wanted this hat specifically for the turn-down brim for sunny days here in the desert. The snap brim on my Hardeman looks nice, but doesn't do a bloody thing to keep my neck from burning!

Good point!

Steve27752

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
Steve, I think you'd probably want a 57. They don't flex a lot because they have a fabric backing that the pleats are sewn to, so I wouldn't expect it to stretch much. I wear a 57, too, and my issue pug is the perfect size for my hat.

I have ordered a 57, the hat is being stretched while I wait.

Bald1

New in Town
Thank you

I just registered here in order to express my appreciation to Mike and Alan for their threads on the Akubra Riverina. I stumbled on to this site several months ago and have lurked learning quite a bit in addition to picking up on the Akubra Riverina deal. Thanks folks :)!

To put things in perspective I have been a hat wearer for decades having gotten a good start on being bald while in high school. But overall I've been more of a cap wearer than anything else with the notable exceptions of a safari styled hat I wore in the 70s and several cowboy hats (felt and straw) during the 70s and 80s when my family raised quarter horses. These days, as a retiree, I've taken to the fishing/hunting/bush style best epitomized now by the Akubra Riverina, as well as continuing to favor classic ivy style caps.

My battery includes a mouton Ushanka made in Vilnius, Lithuania; ivy style driving caps from Goettmann, LL Bean, Harrison Hillhouse, Jaxon, and others; a BC Hats (Bill Connor) Bush & City; Resistol Quicksilver; Larry Mahan shantung; and the aforementioned Riverina. Actually I have a second Riverina size 59 en route at this time which reflects how much I like the model. My first has only seen a deepening and extension of the pinch. I'm still contemplating what I want to do to personalize the second.

There's another thread about cowboys hats which unfortunately doesn't mention Brad Montague of The Star of the West custom hats. Highly recommended (and he's also cited on the David Morgan web site for refurbishing hats). I mention him here because I've taken my two decade old Resistol Quicksilver with it's >6" crown and 4" brim for a "redo." Brad is turning it into an Aussie styled number like the Akubra Lawson and Banjo but with a 4.5" crown and 3" brim. I no longer wear western styled hats so this seemed like a great idea to recycle this quality vintage silver colored hat. I'm really looking forward to getting it back after Brad works his magic. BTW Brad had some very nice things to say about Akubra quality.

You folks post pictures of your hats so in keeping with that tradition I'm posting a shot of me with a cover in this my first post. Unfortunately the only shot I currently have is wearing the ushanka, so.....
BOB_2003.JPG

--Bob

Mike K.

One Too Many
...and the tally is

Well, I have gone back through the thread and tried to count how many people (including non-FL members) have the "safari-ized" Akubra Riverina.
If I have tallied correctly, there are now nearly a dozen people (including myself) sporting this lid. :eusa_clap

Bald1

New in Town
Mike K. said:
Well, I have gone back through the thread and tried to count how many people (including non-FL members) have the "safari-ized" Akubra Riverina.
If I have tallied correctly, there are now nearly a dozen people (including myself) sporting this lid. :eusa_clap

Mike,

I'm leaning very heavily towards "safari-izing" one of mine at this point. I spent the other day running from fabric store to fabric store (Hancock's, Ben Franklin, Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby) but none have any cotton twill ribbon/tape. All anyone seems to have is polyester grosgrain. Any recommended on line sources?
So for now I'm looking at those pre-made puggarees on OFAS thinking either hot glue or a stitch or two could work to size one properly. I've no intention of using hooks at all.

--Bob

Mike K.

One Too Many
Welcome to the lounge Bald1. I'm surprised a place like Hancock's doesn't carry the twill tape. Do you have a JoAnn's Fabrics nearby? I had to search through the ribbon section in detail to find the stuff. My store had it buried with the ribbon, lace, and belt webbing. There are probably some online sources but I haven't checked. Actually, I would recommend going with whatever material suits your tastes; it doesn't have to be what everyone else is using. As for those pre-made puggarees with the metal hooks, the only one I've owned was actually held together with the hook. If you remove the hook, the puggaree falls apart. A much better pre-made option would be the one from Lawrance Ordnance like Mojave Jack and some others have purchased. You can also find some interesting hat bands on the David Morgan website.

Bald1

New in Town
Thanks Mike. Nope, in all the stores I cited I had help from clerks to no avail. 100% polyester and zero twill styles. Closest I could find was off-white and light tan grosgrain. South Dakota is sparsely populated so store availability as well as stockage is rather limited.

As for that $11.99 OFAS puggaree I had thought it to be like the one on my inexpensive several decade old safari hat which is a pleated job hot glued for the wrap closure. Its not in any shape to be reused unfortunately.

There's something about that LO military pug that doesn't grab me. You mentioned David Morgan... I also noted some interesting hatbands on NogginTops especially the 10 plait 1" wide kangaroo leather band. I presume they're a reliable source. Frankly I haven't checked the big RCC Western and like stores locally to see what they may have in the way of hatbands in stock.

My second Riverina was shipped out yesterday so I have plenty of time to make customization decisions. BTW like some others here I have received a lot of compliments on the basic hat with the tweaked pinch (although I'm still messing with it). Brad from Star of the West (http://www.thelastbestwest.com/western_hat_experts.htm) has offered to rebash my Riverinas to my liking should my novice attempts prove less than satisfactory. Very nice of him in my view. His redo of my vintage Resistol (this picture shows a black version, mine is silver) will follow all the Stock Show work he has in the queue which means 4-6 weeks.
RS_RFH504007_Quicksilver_tn.png

I'm still back on my heels regarding how inexpensive his trim and restyle (reblock) of that hat will be :)

--Bob

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a very difficult time finding twill tape, too. I finally ran across this site (scroll all the way down), which offers a twill tape pack. I asked them if I could all three lengths as 1" tape, which they did. Their price and their shipping charges are reasonable.

Bald1

New in Town
AlanC said:
I had a very difficult time finding twill tape, too. I finally ran across this site (scroll all the way down), which offers a twill tape pack. I asked them if I could all three lengths as 1" tape, which they did. Their price and their shipping charges are reasonable.

Thanks Alan. I appreciate your confirming that it is not just me having a hard time here :) I take it you ended up with 9 yards and that was more than sufficient for creating the pug as I estimate 2 feet per layer times as many layers as one might want (7 seemingly being standard for puggarees on slouch hats).

Donato

One of the Regulars
Bald1 said:
Thanks Alan. I appreciate your confirming that it is not just me having a hard time here :) I take it you ended up with 9 yards and that was more than sufficient for creating the pug as I estimate 2 feet per layer times as many layers as one might want (7 seemingly being standard for puggarees on slouch hats).
I gave up on trying to find twill tape and orderd a pugaree for $15.00 + $8.00 shipping from Australia.
http://www.lawranceordnance.com/khaki-and-green/hats-and-caps-slouch-hat-accessories.html
You just order the same size pugaree as your hat and it will fit as a hat band. It takes 10-14 days to arrive. It seemed like a reasonable way to go.

Donato

One of the Regulars
Bald1 said:
Donato,

Could you provide some idea of the measurements of that pug? Front center width and side width (or height)? Appreciate it!

--Bob
Sorry, but I cannot as it has not yet arrived. I ordered it based on the recommendation by Mojave Jack (see Post #70 in this thread). I like the look of it too.

Bald1

New in Town
Donato,

Okay, no sweat. Maybe our friend from 29 Palms will chime in although I thought his Riverina was outfitted with a pug he pulled from an Eddie Bauer hat he had. I haven't seen any pictures of a Riverina with the LO military pug installed which is why I asked about dimensions.

--Bob

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Bob, you're right, the pug I have on the Riverina is from my Eddie Bauer Akubra, but my issue pug fits perfectly, too. In fact, now my issue pug is on the Eddie Bauer! I swap 'em out pretty regularly, including the WWI wool band or my RCMP band (from Miller Hats, $20).

695.jpg

THe RCMP band tones the hat down a bit when I want to avoid the Jungle Jim inferences (Nothing stops the IJ references! lol). One word of warning, though, if you like the RCMP band. it is intended for the straight sided Montana peak hat, so it gaps a bit at the top on any hat that has any degree of taper. I soaked it in water, and started pulling the band to get it to curve (so when the band is laying flat it looks like a banana), thus tapering in at the top and following the slight taper of the hat a bit better. Still gaps a bit, so I have to repeat the process.

For the issue, pug, though, if you'd like I'd be happy to take some measurements when I get home tonight.

Bald1

New in Town
Jack,

Thanks. That clears the air a lot. I too have had mine referred to as an IJ hat as well as a hunting lid by folks around town.

On another note you certainly have a lot of area to cover with your job (presuming here I know). My son was once stationed there. I'm a retired navy "mustang" and a more recently retired federal manager at a zoomie B-1B base :)

All the best!

--Bob

Just spotted your edit. Yes the measurements would be helpful as I wonder just how high the front and sides are. Appreciate the offer!

I still have my issue campaign hat that I earned back in the 60s but it, along with some uniforms, stays stored away. I was army enlisted before becoming an naval officer. Hence the "mustang" label.

NonEntity

Suspended
Mike K wrote:

You can also find some interesting hat bands on the David Morgan website.

Yes, DM offers some terrific hand-woven kangaroo leather hat bands, but FYI, all its puggarees are the type that fasten with ultra-sharp hooks that pierce the felt, and unless they are carefully crimped, probably the head band if not your head, too. Thanks again for Mike K giving me the heads up on making my own pug or getting a pre-made one without hooks, instead, before I punctured my new Akubra Sidney. The pug I got from DM now rests unused on the shelf.

Bald1 wrote:

So for now I'm looking at those pre-made puggarees on OFAS thinking either hot glue or a stitch or two could work to size one properly. I've no intention of using hooks at all.

I would definitely not use any type of glue to afix a hat band and go with a couple of stitches. In fact, the pre-made, sized puggarees, or one you make yourself if you make it right, fit tight enough that no stitching is really needed at all.

Bald1

New in Town
NonEntity said:
I would definitely not use any type of glue to afix a hat band and go with a couple of stitches. In fact, the pre-made, sized puggarees, or one you make yourself if you make it right, fit tight enough that no stitching is really needed at all.

I appreciate the counsel. I probably wasn't all that clear though. The notion of glue was only to affix the ends of the puggaree loop itself. I'd never glue a hatband to a hat.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Bald1 said:
Jack,

Thanks. That clears the air a lot. I too have had mine referred to as an IJ hat as well as a hunting lid by folks around town.

On another note you certainly have a lot of area to cover with your job (presuming here I know). My son was once stationed there. I'm a retired navy "mustang" and a more recently retired federal manager at a zoomie B-1B base :)

All the best!

--Bob

Just spotted your edit. Yes the measurements would be helpful as I wonder just how high the front and sides are. Appreciate the offer!

I still have my issue campaign hat that I earned back in the 60s but it, along with some uniforms, stays stored away. I was army enlisted before becoming an naval officer. Hence the "mustang" label.
Bob, the pug measures 2" at the widest point along the side, and 1-3/8" in the front and the back at the narrowest point.

That's excellent you were a mustang! Mustangs are almost always the best officers. I started out in the Marine Corps, but have been Air Force Reserves for the past 14 years of my career (currently a MSgt). You're right about 29 Palms, too. We have about 935 square miles. I can't say I've seen all 935, but I've seen a whole lot of them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana