Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Riverina safari-ized

Bald1

New in Town
MJ,

Thanks for taking the time to make those measurements. It gives me something to ponder against the more conventional options of 5/8" and 1" plaited bands or even a snakeskin or croc. It isn't as tall as I thought with that range of but 1 3/8" to 2". I'm still laughing at the Jungle Jim business though.

Again thank you!

--Bob

Here's a mid-70s picture I just found and cropped of my old cheap safari hat :)
safarihat.jpg

As for mustangs it seems there is never any middle ground. Either they remember their enlisted roots and act accordingly, or forget their past becoming full of themselves.

Bald1

New in Town
AlanC said:
I had a very difficult time finding twill tape, too. I finally ran across this site (scroll all the way down), which offers a twill tape pack. I asked them if I could all three lengths as 1" tape, which they did. Their price and their shipping charges are reasonable.

Alan,

I just fired an e-mail off to them to see if I too can get a single 9 yard length of 1" tape. I've decided I want the flexibility to control the height of any puggaree I may put on the Riverina instead of going with the fixed height of the Lawrance Ordnance military pug that Mojave Jack was so kind to measure for me.

I may also pick up either a reptile skin or 6 to 10 plait flat leather hatband too despite really liking the double round woven lariet hatband that comes stock with the Riverina.

--Bob

Mike K.

One Too Many
I just checked my local JoAnn's Fabrics and they only have 2.5yds of cotton twill tape left in stock, otherwise I could've purchased some more for my second Riverina hat or for whoever needed some for a pug. Oh well. [huh]

Bald1

New in Town
Mike K. said:
I just checked my local JoAnn's Fabrics and they only have 2.5yds of cotton twill tape left in stock, otherwise I could've purchased some more for my second Riverina hat or for whoever needed some for a pug. Oh well. [huh]

Mike,

I'm sure all of us in the hunt appreciate your thoughtfulness reflected here. And yes, too bad their stock is depleted.

--Bob

PS Are you and I the only ones with two Riverinas currently?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Not sure Bob. About the only reason I purchased a second is because my job is so rough on hats & clothing. I figured a back-up would be a good idea.

Boodles

A-List Customer
OK, Outbackoutlet Scores Again

I couldn't stand it any longer and clicked off my order yesterday. Apparently we have not yet totally depleted the inventory. I hope I can manage to tie a pug similar to those done by AlanC and Mike K, I really like how those turned out. If no, I'll order the ready-made. Those are nice pugs as well.

Bald1

New in Town
Mike K. said:
Not sure Bob. About the only reason I purchased a second is because my job is so rough on hats & clothing. I figured a back-up would be a good idea.

Roger that as I too am rather rough on stuff. Plus since it is rare that I find something that either fits correctly (as an example I wear a 6E wide shoe.... try shopping for that <grin>) or that I find really appeals to me, I often buy "spares." This Akubra Riverina, especially at the bargain basement price, qualified for a "spare" acquisition.

Boodles said:
I couldn't stand it any longer and clicked off my order yesterday. Apparently we have not yet totally depleted the inventory.

You will NOT be disappointed whether you leave it in factory trim, only make a simple mod to the crease, or go for a full blown customization. It simply is an excellent hat at an exceptional price that easily can fit diverse roles/uses.

--Bob

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Well, I very nearly went back and ordered a second Riverina, but I decided I didn't need to right now. After the recent bout of rain we had, though, I did pull the trigger on one of their Oxford Jackets. I like my Columbia Omni-Dry jacket at times (like when I need it to pack as small as possible), but I'd like something a little more classic that will go better with, say, an Akubra Riverina on those (admittedly sparse) rainy days here in the desert.

Mike, I think it is about 14, plus yours and Bob's second hat. They are probably quite happy with the sales so far! They should rename it the Audubon or something in your honor!

Bald1

New in Town
Mojave Jack,

It's funny you mention coats. I'm finding the Riverina goes with darned near anything ranging from a black leather M65 field jacket to a lava gray Marmot Oracle rain jacket to a ..... The fawn color is just that neutral that it doesn't clash with anything. The style is pure outdoorsman, not overly dressy, western, aussie, etc., so it too works almost universally.

--Bob

Addendum: Just received word from Leslie at Alpha Stamps (thanks again AlanC) okaying my ordering of 9 yards of 1" natural cotton twill tape :) I visited RCC Western Wear earlier today too but found no suitable alternative hatbands. So I think I'll play with a pug first. I do like those flat plait bands but am unsure of just how much width would best suit the Riverina.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I have to agree with you, Bob. That's one of the reasons I went with it, too. Mike brought his to the QM, and I noticed that it was very versatile. Out here in the boonies like I am, a fedora looks a bit out of place, unless I have on a tie (which is rare). I have one fedora that is pretty work day, but this hat really fits the bill for a daily hat for me, even though the lady at the lunch counter yesterday still said it reminded her of Indiana Jones. [huh]

Bald1

New in Town
Woowie! Just got a call from Brad. Said he had a small window that was going to allow him to convert my Resistol cowboy hat into a Riverina styled outback number much earlier than planned. I'm to expect a call Saturday to pick it up.

I'll have to shoot some pictures I know. I didn't take any before shots though but the shape is pretty standard as shown in that small picture of the style earlier in this thread.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
Well, I very nearly went back and ordered a second Riverina, but I decided I didn't need to right now. After the recent bout of rain we had, though, I did pull the trigger on one of their Oxford Jackets. I like my Columbia Omni-Dry jacket at times (like when I need it to pack as small as possible), but I'd like something a little more classic that will go better with, say, an Akubra Riverina on those (admittedly sparse) rainy days here in the desert.

Mike, I think it is about 14, plus yours and Bob's second hat. They are probably quite happy with the sales so far! They should rename it the Audubon or something in your honor!

Heck, a couple of my buddies at work also picked them up after seeing mine.

Edward

Bartender
Mike K. said:
I'm going to have to re-tally the number of Riverina owners. I've lost count. lol

Hopefully in due course I'll make one more..... I couldn't get the website to work for me, but I've been in touch with Beverly via email; the hat I'm after is in stock, so I'm just waiting to hear back about a shipping quote.

Steve27752

One of the Regulars
My Akubra Drover is being strecthed to a 57, I have my pug on order from Lawrance in Oz. But, today I was in a craft shop and found 1" off white cotton twill tape, so I bought some!
But, my question is how do I wrap the tape so that it looks like a puggaree?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto