Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra stiffness

Naltak

New in Town
Hello folks, I have been lurking on here for some time, reading through a lot of threads and enjoying every minute of it. I just took a plunge and ordered my first fedora from Hatsdirect. It's an Akubra Fedora in carbon grey. I'm not particularly after the Indy look. I just like the fedora style in general. I think I'm hooked. I'm not sure where this will lead but can't wait to get this thing on my head!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
You'll be happy with the Fed

Congratulations on taking the plunge! And welcome to the addiction.
I think you'll like the Akubra. They make pretty good modern hats by any account. Wear it in good health and humor.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to FEDORA WORLD !
You will love your hat. I have an Adventurebilt and while I like the ''Indy'' look or style, the modern Indy fedoras have a real classy and classic look to me. But believe me you will soon want you a real classic fedora, I just took the plunge and bought me an Open Road off E-Bay. So get ready.....
Wear your hat and have fun!

Stay Well,
RBH

Feraud

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge!
Please post pictures of the Fed when it arrives. I have considered a grey Federation and would like to see your hat. I have no doubt you will be satisfied with it. I have the Federation Deluxe in brown and love it. A fine hat.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
So how does the Akubra stack up

Hello Gents,

Being an aussie I am very familiar with the Akubra brand. So how do their Fedora's stack up against the vintage Fedoras? Are they a good buy? I would also love to start my hat collection, but don't know if I should start with Ebay or get an Akubra??

Cheers

Peter

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Akubra vs. Vintage

Peter,
I have managed to get my hands on a couple of vintage lids, two Akubra's, and a small mix of other modern hats. I won't call myself anything NEAR an expert, but I did have an opportunity to compare.

As far as modern hats go, I would recommend Akubra to anybody, but (as you probably know) they are a little stiff. Granted, they will soften up a little. If you want to wear a hat in ugly weather, or simply prefer a new hat, then Akubra is the hat to get. But a vintage in a similar style will be much softer and, in my opinion, higher quality. Still, one tends to be protective of vintage hats, so maybe you won't want to wear it in the rain and all. Then, you also have to be willing to deal with everything that eBay brings with it (waiting, being outbid, ignorant sellers, etc). I've been fairly lucky on eBay, so I won't complain.

It's just a matter of personal taste. Either way, you can't go wrong.
NB

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I dont know if many of you out there in hat land know but Akubra now only has one distributor in the USA . I believe his name is David Morgan . You can deal with them direct on the web.
I'd deal directly with Akubra but the problem is shipping the hats from Australia is so expensive , it doesn't pay . :cool2:

geo

I've been reading a lot about the softness of vintage hats compared to the stiffness of the Akubra. But don't forget folks, vintage hats are 60-70 years old, and they have taken all this time to soften. Who can tell how soft the Akubra will be in 60 years, or how stiff the vintage hats were when they were new?

Feraud

Bartender
besdor said:
I dont know if many of you out there in hat land know but Akubra now only has one distributor in the USA . I believe his name is David Morgan . You can deal with them direct on the web.
Are you saying Hats Direct does not stock Akubras any more?

riccardo

Practically Family
Akubra.

I've bought an Akubra Stylemaster on HatsDirect, great sevice, it is a beautiful hat, good quality felt.
After I've seen a vintage felt...vintage are vintage, but Akubra are quite good hats.
Riccardo.

Al key haul

geo said:
I've been reading a lot about the softness of vintage hats compared to the stiffness of the Akubra. But don't forget folks, vintage hats are 60-70 years old, and they have taken all this time to soften. Who can tell how soft the Akubra will be in 60 years, or how stiff the vintage hats were when they were new?
It is my understanding the hats made during the WWII years were made with out shellac added as the stiffener as Shellac was an important war item and rationed. That my be where the soft and floppy gets its greatest boost.

If they still use shellac as the stiffener, it may be possible to rinse the shellac out with denatured alcohol as the dissolving agent. Anyone try it yet?

Sincerely,

Feraud

Bartender
John in Covina said:
If they still use shellac as the stiffener, it may be possible to rinse the shellac out with denatured alcohol as the dissolving agent. Anyone try it yet?
I am not sure if this is necessary. With wear and handling the stiffness from the Akubra wears away. I was amused at how stiff my Federation Deluxe was when I first bought it. I used to joke with my wife and call it my 'construction site hard hat'. Eventually it softened to a very nice texture.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Are you saying Hats Direct does not stock Akubras any more?

HatsDirect is still the single largest seller of Akubra hats in the world, so the answer is 'yes', they still stock Akubra hats.

Regards! Michaelson

geo

It is my understanding the hats made during the WWII years were made with out shellac added as the stiffener as Shellac was an important war item and rationed.

Does this mean then that hats were stiffer pre-WW2, and they got softer after the rationing of shellac was introduced?

geo said:
Does this mean then that hats were stiffer pre-WW2, and they got softer after the rationing of shellac was introduced?
That is my understanding, shellac was a common elelment as a stiffener for most hats prior to WWII. During the deppression sales of new hats must have dropped and the use of an older hat continued so stiff hats became softer over time and use. Then WWII brings in the lack of shellac and you have soft hats direct from the maker. So roughly 2 decades of flaccid fedoras.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Hatsdirect is in Australia . They carry the full line of hats from Akubra . The problem is that the distributor here in the US couln't make any money on the hats because of the high shipping rate . Thats why they stopped selling them.:cool2:

Aerol

A-List Customer
Akubra Safari

I've always been happy with my Akubra Safari. Keeps my head dry in the rain and seems indestructable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points