Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Woomera

Michael R., Lt Hats, Mm, I'm calling you guys out. I want to see what you are doing with your Akubra Woomeras. I've got one on (back) order which is supposed to ship within 8 days, so I won't see it until late this month at best. I'm going to attempt to use the tall open crown for a deep horseshoe telescope crease & end up With a crown height of ~5", & flatten the brim.

What say you?

Mm25

One Too Many
Wish I could tell you if there's enough crown, but mine's not due in for another couple weeks, so I've never had one in my hands.
Can't wait to play with it once it gets here.
Your plan sounds good, looking forward to seeing it!

Wish I could tell you if there's enough crown, but mine's not due in for another couple weeks, so I've never had one in my hands.
Can't wait to play with it once it gets here.
Your plan sounds good, looking forward to seeing it!
Was it supposed to be in stock when you ordered, or were you on a 3 month wait? How long has it been exactly? When I ordered it showed as in stock but it wasn't. When on back order they claim it still ships in 4-8 days; I'm figuring then up to 3 wks shipping with customs. From your experience it sounds like it might not ship in that 4-8 day window?

Mm25

One Too Many
Mine was a three month wait when I ordered due to the color I wanted. Still expecting it on time, mid to late july.

Mine was a three month wait when I ordered due to the color I wanted. Still expecting it on time, mid to late july.
That makes me feel better, like I'm not getting caught up in something. The sand color in my size showed as being in stock thru order entry but @ checkout it showed being on back order.

wedgetail

New in Town
I was going to post this on the akubra overload thread but this is even more relevant... I've just found some old pics of my first woomera. I'd put the crown as fairly tall, but don't have much bench mark.
P1040735_zpslrukryfb.jpg

P1040734_zpssbf6wair.jpg

Also my now retired
image_zpszxghtxry.jpg

And new
image_zpsaatwaqfm.jpg

Let us know how you go flattening the brim - it's a hot topic

Last edited:
Let us know how you go flattening the brim - it's a hot topic
I'm not a fan of a big brim with a lot of packer draw down in the front & back, as it looks on me. I know it's common on Outback type hats. I'm hoping I can flatten the brim without it puckering. Brim curl may depend on what crease I end up with.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I'm sure it will. May not be enough. It's around 6 1/2".

That's what mine measures .

The Woomera crown is 6.7", just short of 6-3/4".

That's what it said . but I checked looked like 6.5" to me , but I'll remeasure later , sorry family stuff out of town . Gotta go .

Great Pics wedgetail ! That looks somewhat like a Oreana crease on the Sand . Nice shot of the Tanbark Brown , ... the old Hat is ... well worn .

I haven't had a chance to get around to permanently doing anything to mine , I'm still trying creases , so its still open . Here's the pic from before , on the noggin the day I received it ...

FullSizeRender-7.jpg

But Trust me , there's enough crown , it should be more than enough . This just doesn't show it . My old Resistol , I measured it last night popped out 6.25" , so the Woomera could be 6.7" , It looks like 6.75" . Hoss would be envious . Stetson used to have a B.O.P. that I think was 6.5" and as they said you're Unlimited to what crease you can put in it . I may try ironing the swoop out of the Brim to a L at the crown . But we'll see , never know .

Happy Independence Day ! and weekend !

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I tried a Gus (Mule Skinner) , Tom Mix , Tom Horn (all similar) , a Peak , a Brick , a Cattleman (Alpine) , an Oreana , ... I think that's all so far HJ . I liked the Toms and the Peak the Best . I think there's enough Crown for a Horse Shoe . Its tilted back in that picture , if it was down you probably wouldn't see my eyes , but you'd see the full effect of the Crown . I think the Brick would need steam to get it right , and I didn't really want to commit , yet , especially to that . I think I may have tried a Trail Boss , kind of a half Cattlemen/half Mule Skinner (think Garth Brooks sort of) . I was kind of partial to the first four HJ , but next time I'll throw a Sage Brush , or Texas Punch in , and maybe pull the chart out and see what else might strike my fancy to see . The Open doesn't really look bad to me . My Peaks are not as dished out , more even across the bottom , I think it better that way , but ... I'm going to have to try it again , it looks good on the 6.25" Crown of the old Resistol , I maybe just used to that height crown with it , but its big enough for about anything . I like the Sand , too .

...Gus (Mule Skinner) , Tom Mix , Tom Horn (all similar)...
I would agree they are all vary similar. The main difference between the Tom Horn & the way the modern Tom Mix is done is in the angle & length of the rake.

With my big Tom Horn I tried a Montana Peak with a mule kick for a while, & I tried a Conagher after the movie hat but neither looked all that good on me.

2enx8k1.jpg

vxzy2f.jpg

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
HJ , That's one of the Ritch Rand's Hats I've tagged as possibles . (PLUS 1mach1 , I asked Michael Gannon about the My Darling Clementine Hat Fonda wore . He said He'd be game , but have to get Winchester to pre-Block a Western Felt Body . He thinks the Crown is a bit above a 6" , and the Brim is Wider than a Dress Body could do. Never Know until you ask .) He didn't know about Western Creases (its a variation of the Oreana) and said he'd make an Open Crown , which I would prefer anyway . Here's another look at Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp in My Darling Clementine ...

image-2.jpeg
image.jpeg

That really doesn't look like a 4" Brim to me , but I might be wrong . It wouldn't be a first . But that looks like some nice felt in that Hat . Very Fine !

Last edited:
  1. The Clementine on a Woomera will be pretty tall, almost the full 6.7" I would guesstimate. I'm thinking the Clemintine would look better on a 4x6 or even a 3-1/4" or 3-1/2" brim x6. With the Rand Montana Peak with mule kick the peak height will be farther back on the crown, & the mule kick will lower the overall height ever so slightly I would think. But you're still probably going to end up at around 6-1/2".

That's probably too tall for me.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
  1. The Clementine on a Woomera will be pretty tall, almost the full 6.7" I would guesstimate. I'm thinking the Clemintine would look better on a 4x6 or even a 3-1/4" or 3-1/2" brim x6. With the Rand Montana Peak with mule kick the peak height will be farther back on the crown, & the mule kick will lower the overall height ever so slightly I would think. But you're still probably going to end up at around 6-1/2".
That's probably too tall for me.

Oh yeah HJ , I agree . That Hat isn't near that big (the Clementine Hat) . To me it looks about a 6" X 3 1/2-4" . 6.25" Max !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk