Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
More canadian pilots wearing irvin flying jackets

harling.jpg

francis_442.jpg

fox.jpg

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
Three pictures of of people wearing irvin coastal command flying jackets

irvincc.jpg

The picture below is of a lancaster bomber crew.One of the crew in the back row,is wearing an irvin coastal command jacket.

lancastercrew.jpg

The picture below,is of a mosquito crew.One of the crew,a navigator, is wearing an irvin coastal command jacket

FinlaysonMosquitonavigatorirvinCCja.jpg

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
Impressive jacket and impressive collection of pictures.
Thank you for sharing:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

My pleasure Soren.Thank you for the extremely kind compliment.
Here are three more photos.the first is of raf pilots pushing a spitfire wearing irvin flying jackets.

2005_3998.jpg

WAAF nurses were issued yellow hooded irvin jackets,by coastal command.

This photograph is of a Deck Landing Control Officer in the Naval Air Arm,formally,the Fleet Air Arm,wearing a coastal command irvin jacket.

DeckLandingControlOfficerNavalAirAr.jpg

Windsock

A-List Customer
Nice picture BL, but it appears these Ladies are actually wearing sidcots with detachable fur collars.

blacklagoon said:
This second photograph,is of WAAF pilots wearing their irvin flying jackets

3377541.jpg

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
Thank you for pointing it out Andrew.A blatant mistake on my side.I'll quickly remove it.Luckily,it will still remain in your quote,so people can see how easy mistakes are made. :eusa_doh: :)

Windsock

A-List Customer
This isn't meant to start a debate so please don't, it's just a bit of fun with a few props.

I recently rediscovered this shot in my photobucket account. The story behind it is last year I was asked to look after a friend's dog for the week. I couldn't resist enlisting her natural talents for a sitting. She actually seemed to enjoy the process but then Labs love lying around.

I've never seen a shot of Gibson with an Irvin so it's pure fantasy and as this shot includes dog so it's obviously taken much earlier:) .
RIMG0020.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bob came over this afternoon with his Irvin. Sadly its not an original, but does have a pair of Flash Fastener sleeve zips and possibly an original label, but it is somewhat feint. The measurements given equate to a size 7. I would guess the jacket is 25-30 years old and whoever made it has done a good job as the photos show. Now all it needs is an original main zip, eyelets for the elastic strap and a waist belt. The finish of the reversed sheepskin is very similar to originals. I wonder who made it?

005-19.jpg

006-21.jpg

008-24.jpg

009-25.jpg

010-23.jpg

012-23.jpg

013-26.jpg

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Oh well, its still a great old jacket!

I too once bought a jacket that turned out to be something other than the seller had led me to believe.

Hope this has not dampened your enthusiasm to find an original.

James

Edward

Bartender
An impressive repro, though! Great looking jacket, and from the sound of things, it came at a price which was fair for what it is anyhow, so no loss there, unless you wouldn't have bought it but for the belief that it was an original, I suppose.

Mainly aimed at Andrew and Paddy: it does occur to me that while this was probably a genuine mistake, there are folks out there unscrupulous enough to pass off a quality repro as original. Would it be useful to have a Irvin thread dedicated to how to spot a counterfeit? (I suppose this could be done for A2s, B3s and the rest too..... or one big thread covering all)? Just a thought, and I may be suggesting something that is unrealistic?

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
If you like the jacket, hopefully it doesn't really matter too much if it's 20
years old or 70 years old. I don't think jackets this size appear very often anyway, you did well to find it.

Imagine the task collectors will have in another 50 years, all those ELC Irvins with retro-fitted NOS Dots and Lightnings, Goodwear A2's that are practically indistinguishable now.................

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

Sorry I am late in responding. I was out at meetings all day yesterday.

Yes, I am a little dissappointed but not overly so. I don’t really know a great deal about Irvins but liked the look and feel of the jacket when I saw it. I did wonder at the finish and condition but for £200 I thought it was a good buy.

Andrew, with his wealth of knowledge and expertise, knew straight away but agreed that whoever made it did a pretty good job. I am going to keep it as now I have no worries about wearing it.

I am not angry about the seller – he was probably taken in a bit as I was but as is always the case – buyer beware. I am glad Andrew has solved the mystery as if I ever sold it I would not want to continue the myth of it being original.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LATE WAR IRVIN IN EXCEPTIONAL CONDITION

Finding a late War Irvin in extremely good condition is very hard these days, so when this one came up for sale some weeks back I jumped at it. Everything is original apart from the main zip, which was a 1950s replacement with black tape, so I replaced it with the correct Lightning. There is no wear to the fleece at the hem or ends of the cuffs, just a little wear at the top of the windflap. The jacket is a size 5 and fits me well. It is exceptionally well made, with straight seams and not the mix of different types of skin as seen on many jackets from 1943 onwards. I believe it to be made by Irvin Air Chute, judging by the high quality workmanship, the square collar and standard size belt loops. The collar rings are the large variety which were used by both Wareings and DGL, but IAC also used them on some of their late war jackets. The sleeve zips are marked with the usual Am and king's crown, with a plain N on the other side. I'm not sure who made the zips, perhaps someone can help here?

010-24.jpg

025-8.jpg

012-24.jpg

013-27.jpg

015-25.jpg

016-19.jpg

022-14.jpg

018-21.jpg

021-12.jpg

027-9.jpg

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
Lovely Irvin Jacket Andrew!

This picture shows two WAAF Nursing Orderlies wearing Coastal Command Irvin Flying Jackets.Coastal Command issued WAAF orderlies with these jackets and 1940 pattern flying boots,aswell as a Mae West and Parachute,when taking part in Air Evacuation Duties.This picture of the two Flying Nursing Orderlies was taken in an Air Evacuation Aircraft.The partial irvin flying suits the women of the WAAF wore,were taken from stocks of male flying clothing.

WAAFIrvins.jpg

There is an original Coastal Command Irvin Flying Jacket used in The movie 633 Squadron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana