Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
I was just reading on wikipedia about Vera Atkins.It says she was a civilian until August 1944,when she was commissioned a squadron leader in the WAAF.The jacket looks very new,as observed,so i am wondering if it was specially made for her in late 1944,or hand picked from stock?
Encouraging a company to make a few Coastal Command style irvin jacket replicas,may be a pretty good idea actually Irvinsuit.I would most certainly buy one: 38'' - 40'' chest,simply because they will keep me warm during winters,in my tent, if i lose this house,and they won't fall apart.Both coastal command irvin jackets i have,both have long fur,so i hope anyone reproducing them,will also reproduce the sheepskin as it is in the Vera Atkins photograph.
As i was typing this,i had a little thought.Considering the full body and sleeves of the basic irvin flying jacket and the coastal command issued flying jacket,are exact replicas,even down to the different styles of seam design on them generated from the cuts of leather they were forced to use,i was wondering where the yellow hoods were made and fitted.Could every main factory have had two seperate special sections,where the jacket were sent,once the body and sleeves were made,where they had the collar fitted in one section, and where they would have had the yellow hood fitted in another section? Maybe these hoods were made in small shops,and sent their finished stock to the factories? I personally think that any shop or factory would have kept the collars and yellow hoods separate from each other when making them and fitting them on,incase of confusion:too many yellow hoods fitted by mistake etc. Any thoughts on this?
My pleasure sharing the picture Andrew.Your electrically heated irvin is an astounding example to see,and i always appreciate the kindness and generosity you show,by posting pictures for us all to see.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
A few more pictures of Irvin Jackets

i1.jpg

i2.jpg

i3.jpg

i4.jpg

i5.jpg

i6.jpg

Kaliber73

New in Town
Irvin Jackets - restoration and preservation

Hello everyone,

I have been reading al the replies on this thread with a lot of enthusiasm, but I have not read a lot about restoring and preserving these magnificent jackets. I can call myself the proud owner of my second Irvin jacket (my first one was a replica by a well known company) and it is all original with the two panel back. It is all there: the DOT zippers with leather cords, the AM label which tells me it's from 1940 (can anybody identify this jacket by the number?) the black band behind the collar, even the chain.... Better still, besides two tiny holes the jacket is without rips, holes or major damage. Even the shearling looks like it has been hardly used.

The problem is, however, the leather has not been preserved so it looks more like a Rembrandt in need of restoration. The jacket has a grey hue all over it, green and/or white spots (mold?) with white patches where the brown leather top layer has come off or has been rubbed off over years of use and/or neglect. My jacket is in need of major TLC. My question to you all is: How should I go about restoring and preserving my Irvin Jacket? Pecard? Does anybody have any experience with restoring an Irvin?

Andrew

640099419_5_68PK.jpeg

640099423_5_rd6e.jpeg

640099435_5_d65Y.jpeg

640099426_5_yubH.jpeg

640100645_5_L1EB.jpeg

640100649_5_BzMG.jpeg

640100653_5__MXk.jpeg

640100659_5_ytX-.jpeg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember this jacket which you bought on ebay recently. It was made by Links, a newer maker with two 1940 contracts. I would not restore the jacket, rather conserve it by wiping off the mould with a damp cloth. A couple coats of Peccards Antique Leather Dressing (applied around a week apart) will condition the leather and bring out the original colour. The elastic strap was designed to go round the forehead to keep the collar up when flying in an open cockpit biplane.

Kaliber73

New in Town
conservation it is!

aswatland said:
I remember this jacket which you bought on ebay recently. It was made by Links, a newer maker with two 1940 contracts. I would not restore the jacket, rather conserve it by wiping off the mould with a damp cloth. A couple coats of Peccards Antique Leather Dressing (applied around a week apart) will condition the leather and bring out the original colour. The elastic strap was designed to go round the forehead to keep the collar up when flying in an open cockpit biplane.

Thank you for your professional advice, Andrew. I sure appreciate it! The jacket was indeed posted on Ebay, but the auction was finished before I could place a bid. Luckily I managed to get in touch with the seller... and the rest as they say is history. BTW, that is an interesting part you wrote on the maker Links. My educated guess is that you have read the code in the label? Do you have more info on that? I didn't know the elastic strap was meant to hold the collar in place while flying a byplane... wow! I have ordered the Pecards Antique Leather Dressing and it is on its way. I have already had the jacket outside in the sun, so most of the musky smell has already vanished. I'll give the jacket one more day that kind of treatment to get ridd of all odours. It really works! I will then take the mold off with a damp cloth as you have advised me to do. Thanks for the tip! As soon as the Pecards has arrived, I'll treat the leather. I can tell you that this jacket breathes history! My wife thinks it's an old rag, but here on FL we know better. I'll post some pictures as soon as I have gone through the different stages of conservation, Spitfire!

Andrew

aswatland

Links had two contracts with the Air Ministry in 1940, B.81864-your jacket and H 174370. Both were made as conventional Irvins and electrically wired versions. Yours is the earlier contract. The firm had other contracts, including the late war 10422 contract. I have no idea where they were based, but their jackets often appear on Ebay with the tell-tale rounded collar, which became more pronouced on the later jackets, so I guess they were a larger volume maker compared with Robinson and Ensum and DGL whose jackets are rarer. Enjoy the jacket.

Kaliber73

New in Town
Jacket info

aswatland said:
Links had two contracts with the Air Ministry in 1940, B.81864-your jacket and H 174370. Both were made as conventional Irvins and electrically wired versions. Yours is the earlier contract. The firm had other contracts, including the late war 10422 contract. I have no idea where they were based, but their jackets often appear on Ebay with the tell-tale rounded collar, which became more pronouced on the later jackets, so I guess they were a larger volume maker compared with Robinson and Ensum and DGL whose jackets are rarer. Enjoy the jacket.

Thank you Andrew, for the information on my jacket. If I can be of service to you on vintage wristwatches, especially military wristwatches of WWII (which is my forte) I will be sure glad to give you all the info needed.

Kind regards,

Andrew

Hankh

Familiar Face
First post from a long-time lurker.
You guys convinced me to buy an Eastman A-2, will show some pics soon.:)

Pictured below is our late Prince Bernhard wearing a late war multipanel Irvin.
He flew some missions with the R.A.F. during WW II.
Officieledppb-010a-groot.jpg

Best regards from The Hague (NL)
Henk

aswatland

Welcome to the forum Henk. This is an interesting pic you hav posted of a Royal wearing an Irvin. This jacket seems to be in fantastic condition. BTW there are Wartime pics around of the duke of Kent in his electrically wired Irvin.

irvinsuit

Familiar Face
Odd looking Irvins

irvinsuit

I've added this photo because two of the Irvins look a bit strange to me. Front left and front centre Irvins look a little unusual.

Thanks
Irvinsuit

aswatland

irvinsuit said:
irvinsuit

I've added this photo because two of the Irvins look a bit strange to me. Front left and front centre Irvins look a little unusual.

Thanks
Irvinsuit

You rarely see wartime photos of black sheep Irvins, which is what the centre front jacket is. Most of the jackets appear to be electrically wired. Yes the cuff on the front left jacket does look a little odd with what seem to be several dark fibres/thread attached to it. Perhaps its a crude repair?

aswatland

Thanks for posting these Irvin pictures. They have all seen much use in the War. It's a shame the third jacket has been poorly repaired with a non-matching leather strip with the zip placed on the end of the windflap!

Windsock

A-List Customer
dr greg said:
I was in a disposal store recently and they had a pair of the trousers to go with those jackets...from Bomber Command the guy told me, I didn't get them down off the wall for a closer look, but they seemed dinkum to me
An amazing thing to find, I thought those days ended in the 70's. I was poking around Bangalow last weekend Doc, anywhere nearby?

aswatland

PRE WAR IRVIN

Here are some pictures of a pre-War (most likely mid 30s) Irvin made by Irvin Air Chute which I thought might be of interest here. It's unusual in that its a large size, a size 6. Made of close-pile fleece these pre-War Irvins are very rare, especially as they were made in far smaller quantities than those produced in the War. I particularly like the chromed Dot Zips.

004-27.jpg

013-40.jpg

005-31.jpg

008-37.jpg

009-40.jpg

017-28.jpg

012-39.jpg

010-39.jpg

014-31.jpg

006-34.jpg

aswatland

Spitfire said:
That is one of the most fantastic pre-war Irvins, I have ever seen!!!!!
And look at the shape it's in. Wow!!!!!:eusa_clap
Is it in your collection?

It is in my collection, but is now up for sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ