Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Paulgo253

Familiar Face
Can anyone give me any details of the H 174370/40/C.I.D Air Ministry contract which I believe, from the fine info present in this thread, was one of those issued to Links in 1940? I’m particularly interested in what make of zips were generally used for main and sleeves as I’ve just got myself a little restoration project (not linked to my recent posts about panels) and I’m chuffed to bits!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, I saw this Links jacket on Ebay. You got a good deal there. The zips used on this contract were usually the cast double trunnion Dot made in England ones. I would imagine the cast sliders fractured and therefore other zips were sewn in. I have seen Links jackets from 1940-1 having Lightning zips. It just depended which zips were at hand when the jackets were made. Good luck with the restoration work.

Paulgo253

Familiar Face
Thanks - I really fancied an early two-panel jacket and have missed out on a few, but this despite the issues really was a bargain so I took a bit of a chance. It currently has one dot double trunnion zip puller fitted back-to-front on a modern style zip on the right sleeve, a Lightning puller on what looks like original but broken zip on the left and what may a period replacement or at least from some flying trousers for the main with unmarked dot style brass puller with an original looking leather pull. There's a few pics of that one
20161.jpg 2016102.jpg

Restoration-wise there's a lot of seam work needed and the shoulders are quite abraded and not very robust at the top. It’s also a little too small for me being a size 5, which is a bit of an issue, but it’s wonderful to have a two-panel finally and the fleece and collar are lovely.

aswatland

I noticed that some of the seam tapes were decaying. These can easily be replaced with ones from Irvin trousers or jackets beyond repair. The main zip puller is an unmarked Dot and is commonly seen on jackets from 1938-9 with a Dot British slider bucket. This zip could be original to the jacket but is hard to tell from your two pictures.

Paulgo253

Familiar Face
So, adding to the posts above here's my latest addition to my Irvin addiction and second jacket - a Links made two panel Irvin from their 1940 contract thanks to the label which still present. Although the chroming on the front panels is in reasonably good condition and the fleece (especially the collar) is lovely it’s certainly going to need quite a bit of tlc, perhaps beyond my capability. It’s a jacket that has certainly seen a lot of use and has had a few running repairs over the years. The top of the shoulders and upper arms are quite worn through use (perhaps during the war?) and thin in places, especially around the top right arm seam which has partially given way - and I’m afraid to say it has torn a little more from when I was wearing it in the house to take a few photos. It’s a size 5 and I’m 6’1 with a 42” chest so I think it’s probably a bit too snug around the shoulders for me, especially if it’s the leather there is not too robust.

201.jpg 202.jpg 203.jpg 204.jpg 205.jpg

There’s a lot of general seam tidying up to be done as many have deteriorated badly in places - and the seam is missing altogether from one side of the main zip – which is otherwise in good order and is an unmarked dot with a bucket collector. It looks original to the jacket but there’s been some restitching over the years. Both the sleeve zips are shot and need replacing (one already has been with a YKK). The collar stitching has come away in a few places. There’s also two awful round adhesive patches round the elbow area of one sleeve – somehow they have to come off! Lot of cracking to the surface of the arms, but once away from the shoulders the arms are more robust and still supple. The surface of the belt is quite worn at the front and the stitching has come away at the end, but is quite sound otherwise. Bit of wear to the cuffs and hem but not too bothered about that, and as mentioned earlier, the collar and main fleece are in really nice condition.

So not quite sure where to go with the jacket. The stitching isn’t so bad – I have managed to acquire some period zips, seams and even leather I can use. It’s the state of the right shoulder and upper arm in particular that Im concerned about. Is it worth sending it for a professional repair – at least for the shoulders, and if so where. I’ve heard Eastmans and Aero mentioned in this respect but the cost might be prohibitive.

Bottom line is that it’s a lovely early war jacket that I love to bits – my first two panel and even if I can’t really wear it it’s still a lovely piece of history to own, but I would be grateful for thoughts on how best to give it the TLC it needs.

Paul

aswatland

Your Links jacket certainly needs considerable TLC and was the reason why is sold cheap. Finding large panels to repair the back will be difficult. It may need the back to be quartered. It is unlikely to be cost effective to get this jacket repaired as it has major issues and largely needs to be rebuilt. For the money you could buy a decent wearable example.

Paulgo253

Familiar Face
It is unlikely to be cost effective to get this jacket repaired as it has major issues and largely needs to be rebuilt. For the money you could buy a decent wearable example.

Thanks and you're confirming what was already starting to run through my mind, especially as it will always be too small for me, which is a shame really, but a good learning experience and at least it didn't cost a lot of money. Although my other Irvin looks shabby and well worn it's made me realise how robust it actually is. I would really like a second, good quality jacket though and will keep looking.

aswatland

Irvin Waistcoat? Do you mean a cut down Irvin jacket without the sleeves, belt, collar etc..? The "Irvin waistcoat" was not an AM issued garment.

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
I was referring to the ancient post (with photo) by Windsock:

"I have since seen a few shots of 455 Sq crewmwmbers wearing the odd Irvin or Irvin waistcoat.
Here's a shot of an Irvin waistcoat I used to own lying on top of an Irvin..."

RIMG0225.jpg

I finally did stumble on an FL thread about an RAF equivalent of the AAF C-3 and I guess this is a picture of one. I will not corrupt this thread with further references but take up my inquiries in that other thread.

Reactions: A-1

aswatland

The waistcoat was never an issued item to RAF aircrew. The one above appears to be a private purchase item and really should not be called and Irvin as the only thing it has in common with Irvin flying jackets is that it is made from sheepskin and has a zip.

aswatland

These are great colour pictures. The officer in the first two pictures is wearing a hooded Coastal Command Irvin and an electrically wired jacket features in pictures 3 and 4 along with a pigeon.!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone besides Windsock own or have knowledge about the "Irvin Waistcoat"? It's a Brit equivalent of the American C-3. Seems quite rare.

Irvin Waistcoat? Do you mean a cut down Irvin jacket without the sleeves, belt, collar etc..? The "Irvin waistcoat" was not an AM issued garment.

I was referring to the ancient post (with photo) by Windsock:

"I have since seen a few shots of 455 Sq crewmwmbers wearing the odd Irvin or Irvin waistcoat.
Here's a shot of an Irvin waistcoat I used to own lying on top of an Irvin..."

RIMG0225.jpg

I finally did stumble on an FL thread about an RAF equivalent of the AAF C-3 and I guess this is a picture of one. I will not corrupt this thread with further references but take up my inquiries in that other thread.

The waistcoat was never an issued item to RAF aircrew. The one above appears to be a private purchase item and really should not be called and Irvin as the only thing it has in common with Irvin flying jackets is that it is made from sheepskin and has a zip.

Well Sigmund, thats you told isn't it!:eek:

aswatland

1940 Wareings Irvin

Here is a recent Ebay purchase. The jacket is a 1940 Wareings Irvin in a large size, probably a size 6. It has clearly been used in the War, but has little wear to the fleece at the cuffs, hem and collar. The zips are all original and work perfectly. I have repaired the upper back by removing the damaged sheepskin and inserting two panels from flying trousers along with two seam tapes. This was how Irvins were often repaired in the War. It is now a great wearable jacket!

Plumbline

One Too Many
Great repair Andrew .. and back wearable again :)

Really not bad nick for such an old jacket ..... I love seeing these things back in circulation, while I accept the need for museum pieces etc. .... it's great to see them worn TBH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points