Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you. It looks as if it was worn very little since the War and someone damaged both areas where the sleeves were sewn to the back panel probably because the upper back was made of thinner fleece.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
85560110.jpg

aries-buzhor

New in Town
Two 1938-9 Irvins worn over SD, two 1930 pattern Sidcot suits, B-Type helmets and Type 19 mics.
Gorgeous sheep skins! Aswatland, could You name producers which use sheep skins with similar properties? To me it seems that Aero uses quite close sheep skins.

aswatland

As far as I know there are no tanneries which produce sheepskin exactly like the fleece used on my Wareings jackets today aries-buzhor.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Andrew!, congrats, you have the nicest Irvin's ( and others) ever seen, if you consider parting with one of those GEMS, pls pm...will even wear it in for me very soon from now ...new ....California/USA ( seriously).
Kindest!

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Thx for these great scans and photos...
Looking at all these, no reproduction jacket has even the slightest chance to win compassion ( lol).
Great shots, thats for all your very very appreciated contributions here...I learned a lot ..thx.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
As Andrew says, a generous fit, but then again you are meant to wear bulky uniform tunics etc under this gear, not just a T or other shirt as most of us do.
So how does a modern compare to an original. Lets say 44(repro maker not important here) compare to a similar sized original, for that size as I think from past posts the sizing is numbered rather than measured.
Thanks, J.

Ps And is the sizing of originals fairly consistent?

aswatland

This is a tough one to answer as the sizes of originals were all over the place. A size 6 from one maker could be like a size 5 or 7 from others. There were clear measurements laid down in the spec given to contractors, but these were not consistently adhered to. Moreover with the passing of time I suspect jackets have shrunk slightly.

As far as comparing originals with the sizing of repros this would depend on the maker and the pattern used. Therefore I always go on the measurements of repros and originals. I would say though that this size 6 is similar to an ELC size 44, but the sleeves and body are significantly longer on the original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112