Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

devilish

A-List Customer
Here it's 15-20 C, rain, sun, roses blooming, garden growing, not exactly Irvin time... Nice jacket, love the look (well, I do the same, why wouldn't I...). Just one question, how come the shearling is different color on the sleeves and waist than the collar? Just the light when the picture was taken?
It's just the light. Exact same color in reality. If anything slightly darker because it picked up a very light touch of indigo from some raw denim jeans on the only other occasion I've worn it out.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That counts for the difference in colour? I'm just comparing to John Lever's pics in stuff to sell. It's all this trying to figure out if I should upgrade, I guess people have been there...

The seal shearling is more of an oatmeal colour than the honey of the russet shearling. If you think about it, the 'skirt' at the bottom is the part of the same panel at the top, but it's been turned over like a cuff and the pile 'splayed out', which would make it look lighter.

tonypaj

Practically Family
The seal shearling is more of an oatmeal colour than the honey of the russet shearling. If you think about it, the 'skirt' at the bottom is the part of the same panel at the top, but it's been turned over like a cuff and the pile 'splayed out', which would make it look lighter.

I don't really get it apart from the light being as it is. Anyway, I like the jacket, and based on the pics, John's especially. Would be happy to wear either of them.

Deacon211

One Too Many
49 degrees this morning...and you know what that means....

Irvin in the hammock time!!!!!!!

FullSizeRender3Edit.jpg

FullSizeRender16Edit.jpg

Thank God it finally cooled down!

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
I'm trying to date an ELC BoB pattern Irvin that I bought last year. The previous owner said it was "at least" ten years old, which would date it to 2004 or earlier. The only really distinctive feature are the original-style zipper pulls: simple horsehide (I assume) leather strips rather than the more complicated "tab" style that I see on later ELC Irvins. Does anyone know when or if ELC used these strip pulls? (Perhaps they are owner customized)
GetAttachment.jpg
GetAttachment-1.jpg

the loco

One of the Regulars
I initially overlooked the Irvin jacket, but have say that it's better looking then the B-3 or ANJ-4.

BTW, Chuck's look best in leather. :D

John Lever

One Too Many
I'm trying to date an ELC BoB pattern Irvin that I bought last year. The previous owner said it was "at least" ten years old, which would date it to 2004 or earlier. The only really distinctive feature are the original-style zipper pulls: simple horsehide (I assume) leather strips rather than the more complicated "tab" style that I see on later ELC Irvins. Does anyone know when or if ELC used these strip pulls? (Perhaps they are owner customized) View attachment 37163 View attachment 37165
The simple strips are used on the BoB jackets, the sewn type fob is used on the 1942 pattern. If you post a close up of the puller I can date the jacket.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I noticed this comment while reading some reviews of repro Irvin jackets (warning: make sure you're not drinking anything hot when you read this because you'll spill it):

I'm very impressed with the overall quality. Unfortunately the waist belt is a total fail. I buckled it up all the way...and it did not reach the belt loop. Although, there is another is another one sewn in on the right hand side...which serves no function. Once again, I will have to go to the local leather shop to have things altered.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I noticed this comment while reading some reviews of repro Irvin jackets (warning: make sure you're not drinking anything hot when you read this because you'll spill it):

I'm very impressed with the overall quality. Unfortunately the waist belt is a total fail. I buckled it up all the way...and it did not reach the belt loop. Although, there is another is another one sewn in on the right hand side...which serves no function. Once again, I will have to go to the local leather shop to have things altered.

I'm trying to get my head around what he's saying. Has he completely failed to grasp how the waist belt works or is it the repro itself that's wrong?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21