Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Here's the size of the 44...

Topmost underarm width I measured is at the outside seam tapes, ones that are actually well in the sleeves and they're 80 cm or 31" across.
The true P2P is around 25" but then the jacket tapers down quickly to 24" or 60 cm.
Waist is 25.5" or 60 cm.
Sleeves, from the shoulder seam tape to the end of the fur on the cuff is approx. 25.5" or 65 cm.
Back length is cca. 25" or 63 cm.

I hope this helps.

IMG_20180227_143225.jpg

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Change the zips to ww2 zips, change the buckle to a ww2 iron buckle, wear it a lot and it will look original...Love the fleece and grainy leather.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Love the fleece and grainy leather.
That's my issue with the expensive repros... they're more accurate, but that also means having that painted-on waterproof shellac or whatever, which cracks and looks stupid (in my opinion). I like this matte, unfinished finish, even though it would probably mean putting some cream on it every year or two.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's the size of the 44...

Topmost underarm width I measured is at the outside seam tapes, ones that are actually well in the sleeves and they're 80 cm or 31" across.
The true P2P is around 25" but then the jacket tapers down quickly to 24" or 60 cm.
Waist is 25.5" or 60 cm.
Sleeves, from the shoulder seam tape to the end of the fur on the cuff is approx. 25.5" or 65 cm.
Back length is cca. 25" or 63 cm.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the measurements, I'll add them to my spreadsheet!

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
May I ask from which place the WPG IRVINs were shipped : from UAE / Dubai / Abu Dhabi ? I presume...
Thx. in advance for the info.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bargain :) We need shearling jackets over here at present BRrrrrrrrrr..cold!!!

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
these jackets are ON SALE right now for $325 plus postage!!!
Thx, will try to get one...but will try to collect it in Dubai or Abu Dhabi since travelling there for business anyway. ...if they courrier it to my hotel...if...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My Irvin's been invaluable today. Twinned with goat skin gloves, tweed cap and Jarrow Marchers, I walked six miles in driving snow and sub-zero temperatures, barely felt a thing - jeans got a bit wet from being plastered with snow, but not too bad. Mind you, shan't venturing out til tomorrow at the earliest.

These WPG guys are really good. And if you take the time and comb them, they end up looking much thicker and more like you see on Aero/Eastman pics. :D

CBI

One Too Many
I have always been really curious about the WPG Irvins. I know they aren't Eastmans but I owned an Eastman and never really wore it because it was too restrictive/stiff. These are lighter weight and I think easier to maneuver around with. I decided to give one a try. For US customers, we can return to their CA address. I went up a size so its roomy and will allow me to layer. I will review for you all when I can.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I was impressed with the WPG jacket overall. The large cuff openings were the only thing I found a little off putting, but I'm no expert in these and don't know if thats 'authentic' or just their pattern. Unfortunately my order arrived with a damadged buckle so I returned it. (Considered getting a replacement from them but ended up ordering a Pike Bros deck jacket instead which has served me well this winter.)

It's a great jacket!

Granted, I've never handled an Eastman or an Aero or any of the super high end repros but I have seen many Avirex B3's, a few Schott's and like two originals and this one's right there or very close at least. The weight of the wool on the earlier Avirex jackets was either the same or slightly heavier tho by no means substantially so.

Some people mentioned the hardware WPG uses is no good but I don't see this being the case on my jacket. Talon zippers in the sleeves, ditto for the main zip. The brass buckle is very heavy and substantial. I've no clue how accurate it is but it's actually a surprisingly nice buckle!

It's not as precisely made as Eastman or Aero but as you can tell from the photos, it's nowhere near bad. I mean, there's no bad stitching anywhere on it, just the tapes aren't cut as neatly as on the more expensive jackets but it's still very well made. The seam tapes are all leather on my jacket and so is the belt.

The sheepskin itself is very soft and while it's not as heavy as some others, so far it's been keeping me really warm. It's doing exactly what I bought it for.

Considering what say Eastman is asking for their version, I'm honestly surprised this jacket is only $300! This style is somewhat popular nowadays and I've seen some of the mall knock offs that are actually pricier and most aren't even made from leather.

It's rather beautiful too. Not as glossy as Eastman and the color isn't even close to that beautiful reddish brown sheepskin Aero's using but it's a really nice looking jacket. And I'm not kidding about combing it - the wool looks so much better when combed it's not even funny. It really gives the jacket volume.

I really, honestly can't find anything wrong with it. If it was $500, I'd still think it a bargain. I only wish it was smaller...

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The best way to evaluate a repro Irvin is to compare it with an original. WPG Irvins are good starter jackets. The fleece is very close to originals and the pattern is fine. The price is excellent. The zips are wrong and could be replaced with Dot or Lightning ones if ones wishes. From a distance WPG jackets have been mistaken for originals!

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
The best way to evaluate a repro Irvin is to compare it with an original. WPG Irvins are good starter jackets. The fleece is very close to originals and the pattern is fine. The price is excellent. The zips are wrong and could be replaced with Dot or Lightning ones if ones wishes. From a distance WPG jackets have been mistaken for originals!
Precisely...and reprint a better neck label...Will do..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk