Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Things Khaki - Clothing the Vintage Adventurer

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
1961MJS said:
Hi, because about half the people in the Terry and the Pirates serials, and several other safari movies are wearing white shirts. Besides I already have over 6 khaki shirts. I like the pockets on each side.

Later
And white shirts go great with khaki!

I've been on the lookout for another white safari shirt since my favorite one was ruined a couple months ago. It was a Banana Republic shirt, cost me a fortune, and I was wearing it on the wrong day. It's now covered in paint (white paint, ironically) and black smears from rubber door gaskets. The best part was that it was a tall in an athletic fit, so it was one of my best fitting shirts!

For those of you with regular length arms, check out the Lands End Aviator Shirt, in white, for $40 in the Canvas Collection. Tall guys with lanky arms (like me), tough luck, keep looking.

Baggers

Practically Family
And Another Country Heard From!

Good to see you're still alive and well! How go things in the California desert?

Back on topic, I don't know about that Aviator Shirt for myself. I see it has those sleeve tabs that I detest. Never saw the usefulness, and my opinion hasn't improved with the passage of time. That, and the styling of the rest of the model's ensemble doesn't help either (at least, to an old f**t like myself lol ).

At least the epaulettes don't look like vestigial organs. I Definitely like the price.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Doing fine, my friend! Thanks! It's been a busy year! Mike K. and I have both finally finished our respective dissertations, and rather than slow down I've been busier than ever. Mike, too, I think, though he finds time to bartend here! Got to make time to get my khaki fix, though!

Incidentally, while it is not quite safari enough for my tastes, I am considering the Land's End Camp Shirt, both in khaki and white. I'd prefer the epaulets, as well, but maybe, just maybe, there are those occasions when a slightly less safari might be called for, but khaki is still appropriate.

Corto

A-List Customer
Mojave Jack said:
Incidentally, while it is not quite safari enough for my tastes, I am considering the Land's End Camp Shirt, both in khaki and white. I'd prefer the epaulets, as well, but maybe, just maybe, there are those occasions when a slightly less safari might be called for, but khaki is still appropriate.

I own the Land's End Camp Shirt and love it...Great, simple, affordable shirt..I've never been into "safari" style khaki...but, now that you mention it, epaulets would've classed it up a bit! lol I'll never look at that shirt again the same way!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I should have mentioned that I eventually purchased an Eddie Bauer Heritage Wash Canvas Shirt in White. It's short sleeve which isn't exactly what I wanted, but it was $25 on sale and at least begins to fit the bill. This shirt is very light, not actually suited for Safari, but probably tropical vacations.

Still looking, and I'll probably end up with a few of the real pilot shirts in White.

Later

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Slick looking Italian boots

grensonarmyboot_crop.jpg

Here's the plug from Kempt:

"On the off-chance you’d gotten tired of American, British and Canadian heritage brand revivals, Grenson has a new trick for you. This waxed canvas and leather boot (spotted at the recent Compass Show) is modeled off Italian infantry boots circa World War One. That means they’re a lot lighter than your average American steelworker boot, and almost as tough. Think of it as a loose translation."

They look good, but the website, Grenson, http://www.grenson.co.uk/, says it will launch in July. I guess that's July 2011.

As Mojave Jack mentioned long sleeve shirts in the summer has it's advantage. The sun is really quite strong in Southern California and the weather reports sometimes includes the "sunburn index" especially important for fair skinned guys like me. The index has often reported in the summertime that I'd get a sunburn in under 10 minutes! Often when doing yard word I use a long sleeve shirt with the collar up for as much protection as possible. And that's over sunblock![huh]

I have been surprised in the high desert by getting a sunburn while sitting under an big tarp. I got fried by the suns rays reflected off the sand! :eek: Skiers can get a similar burn off the snow reflection.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For those fair-skinned Celtic types out there under the midday sun. There are ''very good" modern khaki' fabrics designed to prevent the sun's rays from getting through, and for keeping you cool in 'heat' conditions, whether that's SoCal or the Libyan Desert. I use them all the time, even when it's cloudy. Just worth noting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui