Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I agree

Sinatra did wear the wide 40's fedora in several films and in promo shots. He is rather skinny, in the early days, but he seemed to evoke coolness no matter what he wore.

Good job Frank.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I'm positive that Baron made the hats for the movie, because last year I was in the shop and Mark invited me into the back room where he had six identical hats that he said he was making for Bruce Willis. I assumed they were for his personal use, but the first time I saw the poster for the film, I recognized them. (What I didn't recognize was Kevin Pollak!)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
MM, I have no doubt that Mark might have made some of the hats for this film, however, he did not make ALL the hats for it. I find it interesting that you saw them last year when the film was finished about 5 yrs ago and aired at least 4 years ago. Are you sure he wasn't working on another film?

havershaw

Practically Family
2 items:

I don't think that straw hat looks good on Bruce, either. Looks like it's smushing his ears down. Just kind of looks a little too big for his head, so I guess for me, it's not so much about not liking the hat style as it is about not liking that particular fit.

Art, I think you might be thinking of the original film, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is called The Whole Nine Yards. This new film, a sequel, is called The Whole Ten Yards and just came out, or is about to come out. (When I saw the trailer, I was very confused also, thinking, "didn't this film come out a long time ago?" because I couldn't recall the name of the first film.)

I always thought the hats in Last Man Standing looked awesome. Great job, Art! I would love to see a list of the films you've done hats for. Hey, you didn't do A League of Their Own, did you? Some of the hats in there are terrific.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Havershaw, thanks for the compliment!! Actually, I was talking only about the hat Willis is wearing in the pic Matt posted. I had nothing to do with either Nine yard or Ten yards, but rather " last man standing". I can't remember the costumer on it as it was so long ago but I do remember being flattered that Willis was wearing one of my hats. I think I could only provide about 20 hats for that film as they were so specific in their requirements and I was not making hats then, just renovating vintage ones. I think that everyone should know that usually no single hatter provides all hats for a specific film like this or others that are major budget. I have no idea how many companies provided hats for Seabiscuit but I'm sure there were many. I was only able to provide about 100 out of 15,000 needed. For reasons known only to her, she happened to pic one of mine to feature on Bridges which is really flattering, but in no way was I a major force on that film. I'm sure that Baron's was a major force as he is set up for mass production when needed.
I DID recently do something pretty neat for a series!! In feb I was approached by the costumer for the upcoming season of the HBO series "Carnivale". She had come to the Vintage Expo and when walking by my booth she stopped dead in her tracks and pointed at one of my custom hats declaring that it was EXACTLY what she wanted for the series and asked me to make 300 of them. Then she saw my price. ugg She had only $45 per hat budgeted and I was at $175. SO, we comprimised. I made the prototype hat that she paid full price for, then she contracted out for the rest. I really wish whoever got the contract ( I suspect Baron's did as they have the connections) great success on it, but I'll always know this - they were designed after my specs. Cool stuff!!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
oops, just saw your second question. Nope, I didn't have anything in "League of their own" . I wish I did as I really liked the film. for a long time on the old website I maintained a list of films but I sortof let it get behind at around 70 films. I don't think I updated that page for 5 yrs, but my wife assures me we have had clothing in over 100. Most also had some of my hats.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Art that is really something! When I looked at your sight I saw a suit I recognized. You know the one. And I was happy to hear that it made it into Seabiscuit.

Funny how things I once had is now famous! Cool.

Matt that is the Cooooooooolest hat! Where did you find a photo of an 80?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Pac Man hat? Too funny!

I had a hat some what like that but, it was navy blue and had NASA on the front in red.

Cheers.

STHill

One of the Regulars
Hey, Art, what style of hat did the "Carnivale" lady pick out? And why do you suppose they need 300 hats that are exactly the same?

Carnivale is a very cool show, by the way. They really do a great job of getting the dust bowl/depression era look. Beautiful cinematography (at least to my non-expert eye).

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
She wanted the true 1930s straight sided 6" crown with center dent, 1 3/4 ribbon & 2 3/8-5/8 raw edged brim. She DID want different colors but all the same distinctive '30s look. What was interesting and a point that I want to learn from is that they are going to have to distress every one of them to look old on camera. I don't have a clue how they intend to do it. It is still a work in progress as I continue to send things to them and they use me as a reference. We are incontact quite a bit.
I was only able to see one episode of last season when I was traveling and the hotel had HBO. I'm too cheap to pay for it.) When I saw Crissy I was honest, I didn't like the series. It reminds me too much of "Twin Peaks" that was way too far out for me, but I thought the technical side was great. Since we have worked together on several films ( I think "Kansas City" was the first with her) she let it slide. Whew!!

havershaw

Practically Family
f9249201.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh Havershaw! You funny guy! That's close, but mine was from KRAFT Foods and it was a promotional deal that my Dad got when he worked there.

But, that's in the ballpark for sure!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Man that was cool! I would like to welcome you to me and Matt?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s discussion of really tacky 80?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hats.

I showed that photo to my brother and he laughed and remembered the NASA hat very well!

There is an even more funny story to the NASA hat I will tell when I have more time.

Cheers.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
Art: I was referring to "The Whole Ten Yard" (since that's the title of this thread), which filmed last year. Though I have to break it to you, as a friend, that Dave Brown is also laying claim to that hat on Willis's follicly-challenged noggin in "Last Man Standing." In fact, there's an autographed "thanks for the hat" picture from Willis in the hat on his site.

farnham54

A-List Customer
I agree, that hat looks plain goofy on Bruce. But, if you are familiar with the film and it's prequel, you miight sort of understand it.

Bruce plays a hitman; really dangerous dude. No one looks sideways at him or they get it. His co-star, Matt Perry from Friends was trying to marry Bruce's daughter. Hilarity ensues, I guess.

So the point is, Bruce might look goofy in the hat. But who's going to say anything to a HITMAN about looking goofy?

Regards,

Farn

P.S. The original film was quite funny, worth picking up at the video store if you see it.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
thanks for clearing that up MM. I never made claim to anything other than Last man standing. Interesting that Brown has it on his site as his. Geeze, whats a guy gotta do??? Actually Michael, I really don't care that much. There was a performer ( can't remember who) that would to tell his audience "No applause please, just throw money!!" At least I can prove beyond doubt with the Seabiscuit hat. Mark asked me to look at his site and was a bit taken back with how much he has about Seabiscuit, even reproducing my hat. I wonder if he has gotten much business from it? Hope so, its good for everyone!!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
MM
I just visited Dave Brown site and wow, we have actually worked on the same films a number of times. I also had hats in Road to perdition, about 100 in Catch Me including suits etc.. Like I said earlier, there is usually more than one supplier for films so when I get to hat a lead, it's a big deal for me. I guess I should try to start getting autographs also.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I don't know if Baron's actually claims to have made hats for "Temple of Doom," but there's kind of an open implication by the fact that they toss the photo of Harrison Ford around in their publicity. It's teaching John Travolta to dance for "Saturday Night Fever" all over again!

Rundquist

A-List Customer
That hat looks too big for Bruce. You can see space between the sweatband and his head. I think that the costumer failed. This is more in line with the look that I believe that they were trying to achieve.
8-vi.jpg

Milan straw is interesting because it still can have a cool look even if the hat itself is a piece of crap. Dobbs makes a Milan weave that looks decent but is hard as a rock and heavy, making it very uncomfortable to wear. It still looks decent though. Here?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s my Optimo.

P1010017-vi.jpg

P1010007-vi.jpg

The stingy brim look is something that I thought that I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d never ever go for. Ironically, it is now the first thing that I go for if I want to appear like a hip jazzer. The Indiana Jones style (big brimmed and big crowned) which was my first love, is now a style that I have to struggle with to match clothes with. Go figure. Cheers

I must have had the sun in my eyes when these were taken.
P1010015-vi.jpg

P1010016-vi.jpg

P1010021-vi.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112