Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

I am glad to ask questions that help others--especially me. :D I would say that a lobby would qualify as an entrance hall. Taking liberties with the rules, I would say that you could walk through the hotel with the hat on until you reach the room or restaurant therein that is your destination. This would then be more of a private space that would necessitate removing the lid. What do you think Andy?
I usually take my hat off in a restaurant because it just makes it easier to see who I am. :cool: I imagine that most of these rules are based on the time when knights wore armor. The visor was opened to show who you were facing (maybe the tip of the hat today?). A knight removed his helmet for other ocassions. I suppose it is all simply related to chivalry. I just cannot imagine the kings court sitting around a table for dinner with their armor and helmets on so I do not wear a hat when I enter an eating establishment.
It is certainly tough to put a hat down somewhere nowadays. People will sit on your hat, spill things on it and even put their paws all over it. I guess holding it awkwardly is safer than those perils. LOL Aside from that, nonconformists have it fairly easy.
David, I would not put my hat in a place out of my sight because they tend to disappear without a trace. What happened to the old coat and hat check room?

Regards to all,

J

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Jasmespowers Wrote

I would not put my hat in a place out of my sight because they tend to disappear without a trace. What happened to the old coat and hat check room?

When i go out now for dinner i've carry a small plasctic bag large enough to put my hat in. I wear mostly my Montecristi Panama hat because its so hot here. I have found most places don't have a check room so when i get there i just slip the hat in the bag and try to find somewhere safe to sit it. This way i don't have to worry about some one spilling something on my hat. The bag takes up very little room in my pocket and twice i've used it to protect my Montecristi from rain . So it saved my hat from getting wet. Just an idea.:cool2:

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
How about in your vehicles...

...when driving?

...when you are a passenger?

Private vehicles, I mean. Depending on the vehicle/hat, the crown height may demand removal, but from an etiquette standpoint? And, the "blow factor" aside, how about a convertible?

For public transportation, I assume you would observe the outdoors rules?

Thanks for sharing that list, Andy. Good to be refreshed.

Cab

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Fedora Wrote

Being a unschooled Southerner, I use cowboy hat etiquette. It comes off at bedtime.(at my wife's insistence) Fedora

Now thats funny. I like that etiquette! Here in Florida i don't think they care one way or another LOL

rayk

Familiar Face
I like cowboy hat etiquette, Fedora: Those are straight forward and simple rules to live by. :D

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by Cabinetman
How about in your vehicles...

...when you are a passenger?...

Our real estate agent has a '93 Lincoln Towncar (or some such beast) and when she picks us up, I hop right in the back seat. I've got about a foot above my huge heed...sweet!!!

David

Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
Jasmespowers Wrote

I would not put my hat in a place out of my sight because they tend to disappear without a trace. What happened to the old coat and hat check room?

When i go out now for dinner i've carry a small plasctic bag large enough to put my hat in. I wear mostly my Montecristi Panama hat because its so hot here. I have found most places don't have a check room so when i get there i just slip the hat in the bag and try to find somewhere safe to sit it. This way i don't have to worry about some one spilling something on my hat. The bag takes up very little room in my pocket and twice i've used it to protect my Montecristi from rain . So it saved my hat from getting wet. Just an idea.:cool2:

Thanks for sharing that. That is really a good idea. I am going to do just that next time I go out. If the restaurant asks what I am doing I will just have to tell them to get a coat and hat room. Until them I will have the bag at the ready.

Regards,

J

Paladin

One of the Regulars
I agree with Fedora. Being in Texas, we wear our Stetsons everywhere and don't take them off unless in the movies (where someone will shoot it off if you don't remove it--I keep it on my knee). It's acceptable here to be eating at a restaurant with your hat on. However, when I feel like taking it off, I'll turn it upside down and put it under my chair. That way, I can keep an eye on it and it unobtrusive in removing and replacing. Western hats are tough to wear when driving, with the head-rests on the seats now. If I can remove the headrest, I will. Sacrifice safety for looks every time.

Be careful about restaurants, though. I was up in Boston on business, wore a Borsalino. They had a hat shelf in the coat check room. But it was obvious few people ever used it. The girl took my hat and after she placed it flat on the brim, I had to ask her to turn it over to rest on the crown. At the end of a beautiful lobstah dinnah, upon retrieving my chapeau I found three layers of dust on the crown. Just like it snowed. I should have realized--in a place where REAL hats aren't worn often, even the best of hat shelves can provide some real dust.

Zane

Suspended
Wow that is some lesson on etiquette. I guess I never realized that we just always sorta followed the rules with out knowing it . But I do not recall a time I did not wear a hat. So I guess we learned all about it without knowing it.

Now I do like Fedora's concept really well and am almost embarrassed to tell an off color fact that I once had the opposite experience at bed time with a lady friend. I guess she was extremely fond of hats.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I'm glad to see that most hat wearers really haven't changed the do's and don'ts much at all. It seems if you are going to be traditional and wear a hat, why would you want to update and change the rules of etiquette?

Indiana Joe

New in Town
Originally posted by jamespowers

Regards to all,

J

Originally posted by Paladin
Be careful about restaurants, though. I was up in Boston on business, wore a Borsalino. They had a hat shelf in the coat check room. But it was obvious few people ever used it. The girl took my hat and after she placed it flat on the brim, I had to ask her to turn it over to rest on the crown. At the end of a beautiful lobstah dinnah, upon retrieving my chapeau I found three layers of dust on the crown. Just like it snowed. I should have realized--in a place where REAL hats aren't worn often, even the best of hat shelves can provide some real dust.

I've noticed in some restaurants which utilize chairs that gentlemen with hats will remove them and hang them on one of the vertical points (please excuse my ignorance of the correct terminology) on the back of the chair. Unfortunately, I've seen hats bumped, knocked off, and, in one case, spilled upon.

I've been a to a few Cheesecake Factory restaurants in some of the major cities in the U.S. and they do have a coat and hat check room. However, after Paladin's remark, I am beginning to wonder if there may be a bit of dust on its shelf due to inactivity.

I.J.

I think the idea about carrying a plastic shopping bag for your hat is a good idea. I think Sharpetoys recommended this.
I could see it used for rain, the hat and cloak room, for hat protection on chairs or anywhere. The bag fits easily in the pocket and does a nice job of keeping the hat dirt free no matter where it goes.
It was such a good idea that I had to reinterate it. :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

Paladin

One of the Regulars
Since we're reiterating ideas here, I would stick with taking my hat, turning it upside down on the crown and sliding it in under my chair, if it has the room under it. Fedora or western. It keeps the hat close to you (closer than anything other than wearing it, right under you), it protects it from bumps and traffic and it's unobtrusive to just doff the hat, slide it quickly under, then retrieve when you're ready to go. I have to admit, though, I usually check the floor under my seat first because some restaurants don't do a very thorough job of cleaning under their tables and chairs. But in most cases, a quick flick of the wrist puts the hat under your chair and out of harm's way.

Fedora

Vendor
I'm glad to see that most hat wearers really haven't changed the do's and don'ts much at all. It seems if you are going to be traditional and wear a hat, why would you want to update and change the rules of etiquette?

There is much to be said about traditional hat etiquette, but those rules were created at some point in time, in the past. Since, hats went out of style, and are still out of style, I think a new etiquette should be created. I would want to get away from the truly traditional etiquette because it got pretty complicated, at least in the early 1900's. Not for me, as it was odd then, as it would be now. So, I say, take the hat off at bedtime, if your wife insists upon it. If not, pull it down over your eyes, so you won't have trouble finding it in the morning. You do put your hat on first thing in the morning-right?:D I know I do. I never had a problem with finding a place to stow the hat when eating out. I just don't take it off. Why? Well because since no one wears hats anymore, I will set the rules of etiquette. Plus, most of my hats are expensive and I don't remove any other article of clothing. I never take off my shoes, no matter how nice the carpeting is. And what looks worse, a beautiful hat on your head, or the dreaded hat hair. I know which one I would rather look at.;) Plus, wearing you hat in an eatery would be sanctioned by the local health department. It would keep your hair out of other folk's food. ;) So many reasons to keep it on, and so few to take it off. And, don't say taking it off shows respect. LOL Respect for what? A nice hat can't be disrespectful. At least mine has never said anything disrespectful, to anyone, so no need to quarantine it. Fedora

Originally posted by Fedora
So many reasons to keep it on, and so few to take it off. And, don't say taking it off shows respect. LOL Respect for what? A nice hat can't be disrespectful. At least mine has never said anything disrespectful, to anyone, so no need to quarantine it. Fedora

That beaver hat may not have said anything disrespectful but you have to quarantine the hat if it starts chewing on the furniture or building a dam in the living room---especially 100% beaver hats. LOL LOL LOL
I can understand your previous comments as well concerning hat etiquette. I do not want to get rid of the respect parts of hat etiquette though. It might be convenient if I actually want to disrespect someone. ;) Beside that, it is much more subtle than using expletives or flashing a hand sign. :D I enjoy tipping the hat every once in a while as well. I even did this to someone by accident today.
I was straightening the brim of my hat as someone passed. They took it as a greeting and said hello as well. How do you like that? Hats make friends for you unconsciously. I love it. LOL LOL We have to keep that part of etiquette just for the sheer amusement. ;)

Regards to all,

J

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Perhaps it would be appropriate to post these rules on The Golden Era site so that 6 months from now when somebody asks about them we can direct them there. What do you think MK?

Paladin

One of the Regulars
And hat-wearing will bring back tub-bathing as well. No more of those overly-modern showers. Back to soaking in a tub with a cigar and a beer. Your wife can join you too--but only if she brings her own cigar and beer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points