Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmond Recrafting

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I wore a hole in the sole of my oldest Allen Edmond shoes. This pair is the best fitting pair of shoes I own. I have read about A&Es recrating service over at Ask Andy. Guys seem to be happy with the work. They resole and reheel the shoes. The cost is about $100, but they cover shipping both ways. Since the shoes retail for close to $300 and that they are my best fitting pair, I gave it a shot.

The shoes returned almost look like a new pair. I am very happy with the work. You can get A&Es on e-bay for around $150 if you keep an eye out, so I wouldn't spring for every every pair that wears out, but for the ones that suit me very well I will probably go this route again.

I will try and post a photo soon.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
MK said:
I wore a hole in the sole of my oldest Allen Edmond shoes. This pair is the best fitting pair of shoes I own. I have read about A&Es recrating service over at Ask Andy. Guys seem to be happy with the work. They resole and reheel the shoes. The cost is about $100, but they cover shipping both ways. Since the shoes retail for close to $300 and that they are my best fitting pair, I gave it a shot.

The shoes returned almost look like a new pair. I am very happy with the work. You can get A&Es on e-bay for around $150 if you keep an eye out, so I wouldn't spring for every every pair that wears out, but for the ones that suit me very well I will probably go this route again.

I will try and post a photo soon.

When I sell good AEs on ebay, they fetch about fifty bucks if they are in almost new condition. I would go for used if I could find them. But if you have a well loved pair, then a hundred isn't bad. I have seen their work and it is quite excellent.

I am wondering though, do they redo the whole sole, as in, will the bottom be smooth and fresh, or will it remain shaped to the wearers foot? Not good if you are buying used.

anon`

One Too Many
The $100 option MK refers to removes the sole and cork from the shoe then stretches the upper over a last and cleans it up (very nicely, I might add). They add new cork and soles/heels after. The insole is left as-is (as far as I can tell) and the whole thing is sent back in surprisingly good condition.

I like the service.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
anon` said:
The insole is left as-is
I don't get that. All the recrafting services that I've used (Alden, Mephisto, Edward Green and J.M. Weston) have replaced the insole. How much more can it cost?

lab1dobie

New in Town
I also just had the premium refurbishment on some AE's just 2 weeks ago and they did a fantastic job. I bought the shoes at a consignment shop owned by a friend of ours for $8.00. They had a hole in the sole of one of the shoes. I spent the $120.00 for the refurbishment and that included shoe trees and flannel shoe bags. Like you said, they replaced the heel, sole and cork inner sole and refinished the shoe and received it within 2 weeks of sending them off. Great deal for consignment shoes!:D

buler

I'll Lock Up
Allen Edmonds Recrafting - Sale

Just go to their main website www.allenedmonds.com for $10 off their standard recrafting package and $20 off prestige package. Sale is on thru March 29th.

I'm a big fan of their shoes and have had several recrafted. Well worth the money.

B

Allen Edmonds

They do make a nice shoe,I can vouch for that,I have a 4 year old pair of the Clifton model,on the second set of soles!I also have their Dover suede loafers that I have never worn,bought from Sierra Trading Post for 125.00,they are made in Italy.Not all of AE shoes are US made.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I had a negative experience with a recent recrafting. On the initial attempt, AE didn't read my enclosed instructions and didn't replace the soles as I had instructed. On the second attempt, they got it right at no additional charge, but there were a couple of new nicks in the leather and someone was a little careless with the glue pot. The whole process took several weeks and more than a bit of frustration on my part.

Overall, given the quality of the workmanship, I'm not sure that I'd go to the expense again. [huh]

cookie

I'll Lock Up
In that circumstance they usually replace the shoes Johnnysan. You should contact them. Particularly if there is damage to the shoe.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Thanks, Cookie...I should have pursued this with them at the time, but failed to do so. I've worn the shoes a few times since and would feel like a chump asking them to make the situation right at so late a date.

You can't really see the damage unless you're looking at the shoes up close...it's just that I know it's there. I do appreciate the response and given your info, I may give them a shot to live up to their standards again in the future.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I was too lazy to box-up and ship my AE McCallisters, so I went to a local place called Cobblestone Shoe Repair. They charge $85 for their version of the recrafting process, or $150 with fancy-schmancy German leather soles...I dropped them today, can pick up next Tuesday...we'll see how they do vs. AE's recrafting process.

Joh. Rendenbach soles are the expensive German ones they offer at a huge premium...
http://www.lederfabrik-rendenbach.de/index_gb.html

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
davestlouis said:
we'll see how they do vs. AE's recrafting process.
The major reason to go with AE over a like quality cobbler is that AE will recraft the shoe using the original components, the original process, done over the original last. I see value there....you may not...[huh]

davestlouis

Practically Family
I've owned AE shoes for over 25 years, I like them, they hold up well for me, but I'm not a purist. I have to say, I bought this particular pair for $6.99 at Value Village several months ago, and figured I'd give the local guy a shot. This particular guy has been mentioned on AAAC as a good vendor, and happens to be 2 miles from my office.

It's a combination of disinterest, laziness (not wanting to ship) and avoiding too much downtime...this guy needs 6 days, not weeks.

I have to admit that when I watched AE's video, it amused me that boxing the shoes for shipping counts as one of their 38 steps...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch