Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alley Kat Hat Co

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Just texted a birthday wish (yesterday) for Tim, and found him finishing this breath-taking, thin-ribboned beaver 100 beauty! It's a silverbelly felt with silverbelly finishes, ALL hand-done by Tim's golden touch...

View attachment 89619 View attachment 89620

Tim also has a wonderful interactive portfolio on Instagram, and you do not need the phone application. Simply Google search: #alleykathatco for a view only, on portfolio.

This hat looks DELICIOUS!! He's not always here on the Lounge, so for those who wish to immediately reach Tim, his email is: Alleykathatter@ptd.net
w
o
w

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Just texted a birthday wish (yesterday) for Tim, and found him finishing this breath-taking, thin-ribboned beaver 100 beauty! It's a silverbelly felt with silverbelly finishes, ALL hand-done by Tim's golden touch...

Tim also has a wonderful interactive portfolio on Instagram, and you do not need the phone application. Simply Google search: #alleykathatco for a view only, on portfolio.

This hat looks DELICIOUS!! He's not always here on the Lounge, so for those who wish to immediately reach Tim, his email is: Alleykathatter@ptd.net

This hat is stunning!! It reminds me of the gorgeous White Dobbs Cross Country won by another lounge member, arggh, back sometime. It looks like ice cream and soft as a horse’s nose! Marvelous!! Tim. Kudos⭐

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
100x Winchester Beaver, the size is 7-1/8 and it has a 2-3/4 inch brim. Final weight, 120.7 grams. Dead on.

I am able to get a very accurate brim thickness reading, using my micrometer, and by getting a very light touch, where my anvils are squared up, and just barely gliding over top, 2 pieces of paper that mic .006 thousandths, maintaining that feel, the brim mic'd at .050 and I did it 6 times, same feel, same reading. Remember in my old work, I had to work and keep .0005 (one half, of one thousandth, of one US inch.) And all day long hold tolerances plus .000 minus .001 to .003.

Saying this in effort to communicate that in no way, am I squeezing the micrometer down, on this brim to make it appear thin....This is as dead nuts on, as I can be, reading a felt, with a precision, Micrometer. With the touch of a former precision machinist.

That measurement on this brim thickness is .044 and that is equivalent to 3/64ths. of 1 Standard US inch.

The brim has marvelous action. It will behave like a brim, of a old vintage lid. Very vintage like feel IMHO.

I'm enjoying this quest, shooting to be one of the best!

Thanks all.

d6c8117c35fdcde7ee38f8edd1d19461.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Anybody that mics a brim is my kinda guy! Hand stitch the brim trim too! Over the top!! Kudos⭐️ Be well. Bowen

This hat is stunning!! It reminds me of the gorgeous White Dobbs Cross Country won by another lounge member, arggh, back sometime. It looks like ice cream and soft as a horse’s nose! Marvelous!! Tim. Kudos⭐

BOWEN, good to see you found your way, to the Lounge. You'll get that Dobbs 40, soon, I have pictures, of it, I'll help you do a post when your ready to tackle it. Got your messages. Thank you. Have a blessed day!

Tim I’m a friend of Bowen that’s told me about your hats, I would like to talk to you about making a 1/4.
Absolutely, it would be my pleasure to craft, that special hat for you. Please, send me an email, alleykathatter@ptd.net

Bowen holds my cell number, you can also text me.

My number is available, to anyone who asks for it. I'm a text away, its my life. I'm open for business, 24-7

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Tim I’m a friend of Bowen that’s told me about your hats, I would like to talk to you about making a 1/4.
Tim will take very good care of your Hat Desires! Just something about how he does everything by hand instead of a machine sets his hats a cut above some others and of course, Tim has an "eye" for the style of hat you would want made. You can't go wrong!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Absolutely, it would be my pleasure to craft, that special hat for you. Please, send me an email, alleykathatter@ptd.net

Bowen holds my cell number, you can also text me.

My number is available, to anyone who asks for it. I'm a text away, its my life. I'm open for business, 24-7

Merry Christmas my friend, may God bless you and yours always!

Gunloader55

One of the Regulars
Tim will take very good care of your Hat Desires! Just something about how he does everything by hand instead of a machine sets his hats a cut above some others and of course, Tim has an "eye" for the style of hat you would want made. You can't go wrong!
I also think your work is fantastic,and look forward too working together in the new year.

I had a desire to make a hat, that I had seen on line, when I was looking for vintage inspiration, and it is, in photo 1.

This hat size 7-1/2 which, I built for inventory, is Winchester Staple Rabbit, in Silverbelly. I gave it a tight, raw, 5/8 curl.

Staple hare, has been a topic recently, on another thread, but as you can see, this hat "boned up" very well, and took a serious liking to being pounced. I note this for you all, because I saw bunny felt, take some hits recently on another thread.

This staple hare felt product takes some preperation; and a few hours of it, to ready it, to pounce. The question is how do you get this rabbit felt to "bone up"...? I had to make several, and ruin several bodies to find out.

The amount of time that I have in this build is upward to 35 hrs. I know in my old life, a week in most jobs, paid you for what they felt you were worth; be it minimum wage or slightly higher based on skill. So for me, here and now, I'm working for what equates to minimum wage in PA. This is my job, it is my source of income. I say all that, to lead to this:

Pricing - I noticed recently, a list of how guys are priced, I don't think I made that list of hatmakers. I know it's a confusing issue, because we all pay the same prices for our supplies, these sources don't discount.

I build a hat, by hand, open crown. I hand pounce, I hand stitch the brim binding, needle and thread. It is done in one continuous stitch and it equals about 100 inches of thread. Sweatbands are meticulously installed, by hand.

(One machine exception, is for closing the brim grosgrain loop)

I am very competitive and in line, on my pricing. But I am totally open to any inquiries anyone may have regarding my work. And a worthy note, is that over the last 2 and a half years, I dug in real deep to get my product to a very high standard of excellence, in workmanship. Now I've include branding of premium Sheepskin, and a liner project near completion.

I'm open for business, and hope to serve you in 2018.

Thanks for the look, the read and a like, if so inclined.

Best Regards,
Tim

15459120ce808c7ae64e64d0e19d53eb.jpg
78ec47d2ad82a11d3cdd30990808071c.jpg
44daac40af94bd64410a0029b4d244e1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui