Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alley Kat Hat Co

Gabe Long

One of the Regulars
Y'all see this? Holy moly. Anybody snag this in the lounge? Beautiful.
92a25fdb33016df6fa4aeaea5457e58a.jpg
67f187d1746a349e211bf3cf8f0fae89.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Cindy - Daniel, here is a preview of your custom AlleyKat. More photos of the build are on my Instagram portfolio. The hats final weight, on this 100x beaver with 2-1/2 brim is 130.4 gms. Hope you enjoy this build, as much as I did, making it. I greatly appreciate you helping me, by taking the leap of faith and taking the time to know me, and my product. It's a difficult thing, hatmaking, and no heads on order....but I am very determined, and I'm not losing faith. I have one in line, that will be this week's income.

If anyone would be interested, I'm laying it out there, I'm looking for clients. I don't have a network of folks behind me pushing for me.

I am the one man band. But this isn't no circus act. I am here, I was asked to interject more and not be in the shadows.

I am posting these pictures from my phone, enjoy the beauty. Any others willing to take a leap of faith, and help support will not be left in disappointment. Thanks everyone, for the time you took to read this.

#alleykathatco
a778ac1e49f8cf78c9898956815c89cb.jpg
fdd8a38c68bc902f7169945eb5d71e83.jpg
22df23d47039773026cec5f2da5f37fd.jpg
be38bd64af7abb445e387d3cd44d853d.jpg
0da28961d7c19295cce08d22d544c1f2.jpg
d44af4528ea4e447e2176d1c481f7ed9.jpg
f87eece6a174ec15e90daeb5a1005cb7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Cindy - Daniel, here is a preview of your custom AlleyKat. More photos of the build are on my Instagram portfolio. The hats final weight, on this 100x beaver with 2-1/2 brim is 130.4 gms. Hope you enjoy this build, as much as I did, making it. I greatly appreciate you helping me, by taking the leap of faith and taking the time to know me, and my product. It's a difficult thing, hatmaking, and no heads on order....but I am very determined, and I'm not losing faith. I have one in line, that will be this week's income.

If anyone would be interested, I'm laying it out there, I'm looking for clients. I don't have a network of folks behind me pushing for me.

I am the one man band. But this isn't no circus act. I am here, I was asked to interject more and not be in the shadows.

I am posting these pictures from my phone, enjoy the beauty. Any others willing to take a leap of faith, and help support will not be left in disappointment. Thanks everyone, for the time you took to read this.

#alleykathatco

Wow! Amazing work Tim. Always, all the best...

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

#alleykathatco
a778ac1e49f8cf78c9898956815c89cb.jpg
0da28961d7c19295cce08d22d544c1f2.jpg
d44af4528ea4e447e2176d1c481f7ed9.jpg
f87eece6a174ec15e90daeb5a1005cb7.jpg

WOW! How can you say much more than perfection? I am not sure anything could be better then this, period! However now what hat to wear and when? This is one more on the hat wearing schedule that will be a fight for which hat to be worn by Daniel! Hat number three from Tim! My two cents, to look at anything else is just not going to be the same as a hat from Tim here. Oh we LOVE Esther as well, yet look at this work here! And this hat just is more than what was expected.

For anyone to not want to order a hat from you...mind blowing! You took the ball and RAN with it on this build. Kept in touch along the way, but you also made some special "moves" in your build up on this that makes it run away from the pack! I will have to consult my palm reader to help Daniel to decide what hat to wear that you have made! Each one has had it's own special features. From what I am seeing on this one...it is going to be light weight and fit like a Italian Driving Glove....perfect!

Thanks so much....looking forward to getting MY end of business taken care of with you...so you can have some moolah! Thank you from our Heart, you ROCK!

...I am posting these pictures from my phone, enjoy the beauty...
I'm going to put this out there and hope it is received in the spirit in which it's intended. I enjoy Kurt's photographs of Tim's hats as much as anyone else here, and think his results are wonderful and suitable for framing. But I'm convinced he uses filters or does some after-the-fact enhancement in Photoshop or some other photo editing software in order to obtain the final results he produces, and in the process the colors and the contrasts between light and shadow are altered and aren't necessarily a true representation of those qualities in the hats Tim creates. Now, I'm aware the settings on the various devices we use to view these photos can affect their visual qualities as well, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

That being said, in addition to the photos that Kurt produces I'd like to see a few raw, unenhanced photos of Tim's hats (like the ones he posted above) once in a while. I know the time it takes for Tim to post such photos here takes away from his productivity, so maybe his customers could take it upon themselves to post the progress photos Tim shares with them. But I sincerely believe his "beauty" shots like this...

...and this...

...would put to rest any doubts potential customers might have about the quality of his work and the hats he creates. Just look at how precise the hand stitching on the sweatband is; I don't think it can possibly get any better than that. And that level of quality is present on every piece of his hats. I own one (so far) of Tim's hats, so I can speak of the quality of his work from personal experience until I'm blue in the face. But, as they say, a picture is worth 1,000 words, and that sweatband photo speaks for itself.

Again, I have nothing but praise, admiration, and respect for Kurt's work, and I am in no way intending to diminish it, critique it, or degrade it. I enjoy his photos, and I want to see as many of them as he's willing to share with us. But I think the naked sincerity of Tim's photography and the details he captures could be equally as valuable in showcasing his attention to detail, the care he takes in every step of the process, and the quality of the materials he uses.

Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I'm going to put this out there and hope it is received in the spirit in which it's intended. I enjoy Kurt's photographs of Tim's hats as much as anyone else here, and think his results are wonderful and suitable for framing. But I'm convinced he uses filters or does some after-the-fact enhancement in Photoshop or some other photo editing software in order to obtain the final results he produces, and in the process the colors and the contrasts between light and shadow are altered and aren't necessarily a true representation of those qualities in the hats Tim creates. Now, I'm aware the settings on the various devices we use to view these photos can affect their visual qualities as well, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

That being said, in addition to the photos that Kurt produces I'd like to see a few raw, unenhanced photos of Tim's hats (like the ones he posted above) once in a while. I know the time it takes for Tim to post such photos here takes away from his productivity, so maybe his customers could take it upon themselves to post the progress photos Tim shares with them. But I sincerely believe his "beauty" shots like this...

...and this...

...would put to rest any doubts potential customers might have about the quality of his work and the hats he creates. Just look at how precise the hand stitching on the sweatband is; I don't think it can possibly get any better than that. And that level of quality is present on every piece of his hats. I own one (so far) of Tim's hats, so I can speak of the quality of his work from personal experience until I'm blue in the face. But, as they say, a picture is worth 1,000 words, and that sweatband photo speaks for itself.

Again, I have nothing but praise, admiration, and respect for Kurt's work, and I am in no way intending to diminish it, critique it, or degrade it. I enjoy his photos, and I want to see as many of them as he's willing to share with us. But I think the naked sincerity of Tim's photography and the details he captures could be equally as valuable in showcasing his attention to detail, the care he takes in every step of the process, and the quality of the materials he uses.

I think everyone is aware of the enhancements used in some photographic nature in some of the pictures being posted by Kurt on Tim's behalf. However clearly we get to see the hats made by Tim in the more "naked" form along the way of his building them and when they are finished. I can compare this to my own appearance. You see I do not hardly ever apply makeup on...most that know me think I really do not need it...but at times I will put some on. The same with clothing...hahah at times I don't wear anything....it seems to get a "rise" out of my Husband.....and I look really fine without any clothing on. NO..NO sample pictures of that for you here. You'll have to use your imagination! hahaha!

BUT I myself like to see the pictures from Kurt on the hats being made. I do not see that it takes away from the beauty of the finished product, seems to just be like a polish of the chrome on the Ferrari!

And know what you have stated does not bring any negative thoughts from anyone here, not from Kurt or Tim or any of our fellow loungers. Your statements I am sure are interesting all the way around!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Ok, Tim, I'm sure you must have posted this info, but I looked back a couple of pages and I can't see a mention of what colour the felt for Daniel's new hat is.

On my phone it looks a kind of greenish grey. It's Winchester felt, right? I can decide if it's Dark Moss, maybe Sage, maybe something else.

Whatever it is, the felt and ribbon contrast is great. Very nice work, Tim!

Cheers!
David

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Ok, Tim, I'm sure you must have posted this info, but I looked back a couple of pages and I can't see a mention of what colour the felt for Daniel's new hat is.

On my phone it looks a kind of greenish grey. It's Winchester felt, right? I can decide if it's Dark Moss, maybe Sage, maybe something else.

Cheers!
David
Hey! Not sure if you call this a Moss Green or Dark Moss Green...but the hat is named the Gran Torino...from the old Gran Torino automobile! Varrooom! haha! And I am LOVING how it looks and I am sure Daniel will love it as well..I purchase a hat pin already for it...gold horse with an emerald gemstone in the eye....and this will match up many clothing items as well. Have to take care of some money to head to Tim so I can get it heading this way. Tim is just super on everything we have so far from him....I still need to catch up and have Esther make me a custom hat now....!!!!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Oh and from my understanding there is currently a NO WAIT time right now for YOUR new hat order...so step right up and do some thinking on what to have made.....give Tim a HOLLER and see what you come up with.

I can think when I order another from Tim...it will be a BLUE hat body....in the near future!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd have to say that the pics of my whiskey that were posted on the Instagram site didn't do justice to the rich, deep color of the hat that I received, so for me it was kind of the opposite. The other shots that were posted on this thread were fairly accurate, with perhaps the exception of the ribbon, as noted above. There are any number of variables involved when trying to determine the color of anything you see on the internet.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I'd have to say that the pics of my whiskey that were posted on the Instagram site didn't do justice to the rich, deep color of the hat that I received, so for me it was kind of the opposite. The other shots that were posted on this thread were fairly accurate, with perhaps the exception of the ribbon, as noted above. There are any number of variables involved when trying to determine the color of anything you see on the internet.
Very true! Beauty is what these hats are....without a doubt!

I think everyone is aware of the enhancements used in some photographic nature in some of the pictures being posted by Kurt on Tim's behalf. However clearly we get to see the hats made by Tim in the more "naked" form along the way of his building them and when they are finished...BUT I myself like to see the pictures from Kurt on the hats being made. I do not see that it takes away from the beauty of the finished product, seems to just be like a polish of the chrome on the Ferrari!
You're probably right, and I don't disagree with you. I'm just one of those odd creatures who likes to see the "nuts and bolts" of things. For example, when I watch one of those "We're building a motorcycle!" shows on cable, it bothers me when the builders try to cover the engines and such with sheet metal for no reason other than they think the bike looks better that way. I like to see the engine, and the transmission, and the wiring, and all of the other components that make it work; it's a machine, and it should look like one. More relevant to this discussion, I enjoy seeing how Tim has stitched a sweatband to a hat, the details in the bow he's made, the way he often uses hidden/blind stitches to hold the ribbon in place, and so on; all of those little details that show how meticulous he is, how much care he puts into every hat he makes, and how all of those little details add up to make a quality hat. Kurt's photos definitely show the beauty of the finished product, but I'd also like to see more of the details that make Tim's hats so beautiful.

...and this...

I really appreciate your words Al. I have been gunshy, to post pictures myself. Sort of bitch slapped one day, by another hatter for posting, saying I'm bumping my thread. Called me in person. So I laid low and avoided any posting, except mainly my thank you statements for the most part.

I'd been wondering why nobody really ever has much to say anymore; I'd been wondering where all the great folks that use to be on the thread with encouragement got to. Well never mind, I know where they hang, for the most part. I think alot of that is because guys are able to talk about builds, and share anticipation and photos, and that's cool. That is a wonderful thing, support.

Me, I'm just trying to stay alive and I'm only capable to make a few hats a month. No threat to anyone.

I use to have people post their hats for me, of pictures i would supply, but as photo bucket pictures got deleted by them, the pictures fell from the thread.

I have no problem posting my work, be it for a client, or one I'm working on in general to build a inventory, so I can show my hats made for a small inventory to part with in another way. I will show my work on this thread.

Kurt is a dear friend, and I asked him over today, to take some pictures. He is an artist at heart. I know he loves to do what he does. He is also a dude with feelings, and I really love some of the stills, he did of the first Gran Torino. I sure don't mind a mix either.

So when I got a private message last week about this very subject, I responded and decided I should act on that respected lounge persons suggestion, but the only way, is for me to take the photos while I work. Tap talk, I like it. I'll post more.

I will continue this way, because lounge members are asking. I really wish old followers would return.

In a nut shell, regarding me as a human being.....I thrive on critique & compliment, why......when a guy who's been beat down for a better part of 20 years, and who died inside, finds his way back to life, trust me, every darn bit of encouragement, any simple response on the thread, is mental reconstruction for me. I'd sure like to earn the respect of more folks here, maybe my photos of work in progress will make that happen, because I never saw any other hat maker willing to share so much. I bought many customs, in order to see first hand, what I need to do, and several vintage so I could compare, and find the roots to what I needed to do.

Thanks Al. I thank you for your time, that you gave me in this post. All, very good. And deeply appreciated

Tim, for my part, you are a Vendor on the FL and this is your thread. Personally, I wish the hatters/vendors here on the FL would participate a little more. I like to see works in progress, new offerings, and hear insights from the world of the hatter. What's wrong with bumping your own thread (especially if you have something interesting and relevant to post)?

I don't think you are being a carnival barker. You are keeping in touch with the Lounge through communication and offering a distinct insight into how you approach your craft and the love you have for it.

I say keep it up.

Cheers!
David
Hi David, it is Winchester, 100x Beaver in Dark Moss. It has been pounced down, and lured a few times. Getting the naked shot, it ain't easy. But that is "work bench". I do have a BLUEMAX, work station light, they have all the spectrum, of daylight. But there is that one hour window, morning or evening to try outside..... you made me realize something though, and thank you. I need to specify what I'm showing. I appreciate the words!!

Tim, for my part, you are a Vendor on the FL and this is your thread. Personally, I wish the hatters/vendors here on the FL would participate a little more. I like to see works in progress, new offerings, and hear insights from the world of the hatter. What's wrong with bumping your own thread (especially if you have something interesting and relevant to post)?

I don't think you are being a carnival barker. You are keeping in touch with the Lounge through communication and offering a distinct insight into how you approach your craft and the love you have for it.

I say keep it up.
Jim,
I appreciate that. And will follow that advice. I appreciate you taking the time to have conversion with me.
Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points