Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alley Kat Hat Co

RJR

Hi David, it is Winchester, 100x Beaver in Dark Moss. It has been pounced down, and lured a few times. Getting the naked shot, it ain't easy. But that is "work bench". I do have a BLUEMAX, work station light, they have all the spectrum, of daylight. But there is that one hour window, morning or evening to try outside..... you made me realize something though, and thank you. I need to specify what I'm showing. I appreciate the words!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Yes,describing what you're doing is really helpful.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Tim, for my part, you are a Vendor on the FL and this is your thread. Personally, I wish the hatters/vendors here on the FL would participate a little more. I like to see works in progress, new offerings, and hear insights from the world of the hatter.

I say keep it up.

Agree with this 100% it's great to see more insight on the hat making process and get ideas as well.

Tim & Cynthia, thanks for the info on the felt. The Dark Moss is one of the best Winchester felts - I'm lucky to have a couple, a lightweight and a western from two of our fine hatmakers.

Cheers! David

This is incomplete work, but I'll show it for the reason, we had a chat about blocks on another thread. This block is marked 7-1/2. The first time I used it, I blocked this body and realized it was super big. Newbie, I set it all to the side, and go at it again, different block, new body. So I recently unblocked this body, I gave it a good long cold water soak, and I reblocked it last week. I took some time to pounce more, the original pounce; one that I never pounced far enough to begin with.
So yesterday I pounced it well, and lured the crown, ONLY. I formed the brim break and sized the opening. The band block for 7-7/8 LO fit, lile it was a mate to the block. Work still need be done to the brim. But I rounded it off at 2-3/4 inch. I'll get back in this hat next week, I think it is a keeper. It has a taper, it has a great look, and I'll ask your opinion on this. 100x beaver. Still needs brim pounce, and a mildly cupped, flanging. So the story is, as we talked in that forum, that you need to measure your block, and be 1/4 inch bigger in circumference, than your intended size. So this marked 7-1/2 should have been measuring 1/4 inch more then the size marked. But again, it is a 7-7/8 LO and was likely a 7-3/4 LO before I capped it. I was a newbie and thought I just needed to cap a 7-1/2 so I could make myself a 7-5/8. We were a bit off, to the way big side. So, again any feed back, cool. I'll show it when I flange it and pick a ribbon. I only threw that together to show you all .
7dce539e08599c7c3b6f089a96a318f9.jpg
2233f029a55a5488b25ea2f5c224db96.jpg
3c132bd45cd98b9e43135bf28f38c161.jpg
761f7965c8702f6eb3d0ead06624ca15.jpg
c39e59dbc83494e90faba12097beb133.jpg
1171e32ba2a1528727597c16bda2798e.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
This is incomplete work, but I'll show it for the reason, we had a chat about blocks on another thread. This block is marked 7-1/2. The first time I used it, I blocked this body and realized it was super big. Newbie, I set it all to the side, and go at it again, different block, new body. So I recently unblocked this body, I gave it a good long cold water soak, and I reblocked it last week. I took some time to pounce more, the original pounce; one that I never pounced far enough to begin with.
So yesterday I pounced it well, and lured the crown, ONLY. I formed the brim break and sized the opening. The band block for 7-7/8 LO fit, lile it was a mate to the block. Work still need be done to the brim. But I rounded it off at 2-3/4 inch. I'll get back in this hat next week, I think it is a keeper. It has a taper, it has a great look, and I'll ask your opinion on this. 100x beaver. Still needs brim pounce, and a mildly cupped, flanging. So the story is, as we talked in that forum, that you need to measure your block, and be 1/4 inch bigger in circumference, than your intended size. So this marked 7-1/2 should have been measuring 1/4 inch more then the size marked. But again, it is a 7-7/8 LO and was likely a 7-3/4 LO before I capped it. I was a newbie and thought I just needed to cap a 7-1/2 so I could make myself a 7-5/8. We were a bit off, to the way big side. So, again any feed back, cool. I'll show it when I flange it and pick a ribbon. I only threw that together to show you all .

Wow I knew there was a LOT of work going into making a hat....mind blowing!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

Oh and this looks great already as it is!

Windsock8e

A-List Customer

Thank you for this, very very helpful. I may have found a block, so will go 1/4" up from my size and trying to grab band block. Also following IG "breadcrumbs". Looking forward to flange.

Thank you for this, very very helpful. I may have found a block, so will go 1/4" up from my size and trying to grab band block. Also following IG "breadcrumbs". Looking forward to flange.

You can ask me a question, any day of the week, I'm working every day, but I take some breaks as needed. It is no skin off my back, to help you.

Another block issue......I have a 7-1/8 #59 block. Marked 7-1/8, it produces a heavy 7-1/4, getting back to base measurement. Here, I really needed a choice of 2 band blocks, which I have, in this case. I needed to neck in, close it down 1 size, in the opening, for that build. Acceptable, and it works fine, But I'd rather not do it that way, for my own reason. Get to Mark, @ hattersupply, band blocks are very reasonably priced. You'll be glad you did. And remember your cloth tape is your best friend.

You can ask me a question, any day of the week, I'm working every day, but I take some breaks as needed. It is no skin off my back, to help you.

Another block issue......I have a 7-1/8 #59 block. Marked 7-1/8, it produces a heavy 7-1/4, getting back to base measurement. Here, I really needed a choice of 2 band blocks, which I have, in this case. I needed to neck in, close it down 1 size, in the opening, for that build. Acceptable, and it works fine, But I'd rather not do it that way, for my own reason. Get to Mark, @ hattersupply, band blocks are very reasonably priced. You'll be glad you did. And remember your cloth tape is your best friend.

And one of the likely first mistakes you'll make, flanging, is using a heavy woven cloth. You need something like cotton, bed sheet, so you don't leave marks, that you can't brush out.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cindy, here's a few finished photos of Daniel's Torino. For those wondering......these are basically SOOC,(straight out of camera), other than adding my signature and a final crop.
rlknpk.jpg

This one was obviously edited in Photoshop to show the hovering hat.....lol
2ryreo3.jpg

2njal55.jpg

2z9mwlj.jpg

these new sweatband are the "Kat's Meow"!
2j11s95.jpg

how 'bout the color contrast in thread on this binding.....
2ivdvus.jpg

2rer0x5.jpg

35d953s.jpg

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Cindy, here's a few finished photos of Daniel's Torino. For those wondering......these are basically SOOC,(straight out of camera), other than adding my signature and a final crop.
rlknpk.jpg

This one was obviously edited in Photoshop to show the hovering hat.....lol
2ryreo3.jpg

2njal55.jpg

2z9mwlj.jpg

these new sweatband are the "Kat's Meow"!
2j11s95.jpg

how 'bout the color contrast in thread on this binding.....
2ivdvus.jpg

2rer0x5.jpg

35d953s.jpg
WOW! That is super nice....thank you so much. These are beautiful photographs! Thank you for your effort of doing this for Tim and sharing it with me!

A LOT of fantastic lids here!!
I need to stop in more often... Incredible work, Tim!! You are truly a perfectionist!!!

What color ribbon goes best with Winchester's "natural" in your opinion?

Last edited:
Just a thought, anyone who might want back a guy, to get custom made blocks and flanges, from Mark at Hatter Supply? In exchange for hats, and hats, and more hats??
I'd love to have a block library and flanges, adorne my shop walls. I do use vintage blocks now, and always will, but I sure do have a wish list, and would love to have new clones of some special blocks and flanges. Just trying to survive, and make hats, sell hats, and be happy in my heart, doing so.
Just a wild thought today, as I begin my day.

Last edited:
No....no blonde moment. A lot of bartering went on back in the days of old, just saying, a wish list for me, would be a block and flange library. I'm working toward that. Having several in key sizes, allows me lots of bodies, blocked, and drying, all builds for my business as I get into Internet sales.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points