Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alright! Confession Time! What's YOUR "Guilty Pleasure?"

Worf

I'll Lock Up
It's come up recently and it must be explored. What's your "guilty pleasure"?

Can't live with a daily dose of "My Little Pony"?
Fantasize nightly about Bea Arthur?
Think "Saved by the Bell" is the modern equivalent of Shakespeare?
Did you rush home daily for "Dark Shadows"?
Did you buy a C.B. radio in the 70's and develop a thirst for Coors Beer?
Is there a "members only" jacket in your closet?

Hmmmm? Hennnh? Urrrrm?

Come on... Fess Up! Confession is good for the soul...

Worf

I'm not sure it's much of a guilty pleasure, but I'll go with the television series Starsky and Hutch. It's definitely a product of it's era, but I still enjoy watching it now and then.

Perhaps a worse offense would be to admit I'm in the minority of Star Trek fans who likes Star Trek: Enterprise. Except for the final episode, that is; it's utter garbage.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ha! My sister was a die hard "Dark Shadows" fan. Thanks for reminding me. I must remember to mock her about that the next time I see her.

Not that I am without skeletons in my closet. I once had a crush on Susan Dey (Laurie Partridge). Fortunately I was never into Marsha, Marsha, Marsha. That would have emotionally conflicted my Friday night line-up. :) Years later I was a big Magnum P.I. fan and the true confession is that Higgins was always my favorite character. Oh, another embarrassing truth... I was a fan of "Tales of the Gold Monkey." Probably best not to mention that.

Wow. You are right. I feel better after that confession.

P.S. - "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" was also not to be missed (if only for the opening credits).

Edward

Bartender
Not sure I have any pleasures I need to feel guilty about.....

I believe I *am* the only person in the world who liked Burton's reimagining of Planet of the Apes, but I'm not embarassed about it or anything. :)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I confess to occasionally watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Not too puzzling, as Melissa Joan Hart and Beth Broderick were both cute; the show was crisply edited and directed; and they gave Nick Bakay, as Salem, some of the funniest lines in sitcoms (at least in the '90s).

For a few years my girlfriend and I watched "Charmed." A silly show about three young witches living in (if memory serves) San Francisco (or was it Seattle). It wasn't a beyond dumb show, but it was kinda teenage silliness, but we watched it for a few seasons and found the girls' lives and travails reasonably engaging.

And for a more current one, we've watched both season of "Red Oaks" on Amazon. While season one was pretty silly, it actually became a real show in season two - somewhat reducing our embarrassment.

In the lifetime achievement award of guilty pleasures - I've watched every episode of "The Big Valley" several times over the past forty years. I don't care that the show is a big ball of '60s cheese or that the stories are all resolved through the Christian-based benevolence of the Barkleys - I love it.

Did you buy a C.B. radio in the 70's and develop a thirst for Coors Beer?

In Decenber of 1976 a buddy of mine and I took a road trip out west in his 1972 Pontiac Grand Prix to visit his relatives. First stop was Roy, NM then onto Albuquerque with the final destination being Canyon City, CO.

On the trip home the trunk and back seat of the car was so full of Coors and Olympia the rear bumper of the car nearly dragged the ground.

His car looked just like this one.
View attachment 74674

Too funny, Worf. I just posted this in the "What did you drink last night?" thread. I didn't mention that we installed a CB radio in the car and both of us being Allman Brothers fans, our CB handle was "Midnight Rider".

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure it's much of a guilty pleasure, but I'll go with the television series Starsky and Hutch. It's definitely a product of it's era, but I still enjoy watching it now and then.

Perhaps a worse offense would be to admit I'm in the minority of Star Trek fans who likes Star Trek: Enterprise. Except for the final episode, that is; it's utter garbage.

As the O.P. and Judge... I pronounce you GUILTY as charged for "Slushy and Hooch"!

Judge Worf (So let it be written... so let it be done)!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Ha! My sister was a die hard "Dark Shadows" fan. Thanks for reminding me. I must remember to mock her about that the next time I see her.

Not that I am without skeletons in my closet. I once had a crush on Susan Dey (Laurie Partridge). Fortunately I was never into Marsha, Marsha, Marsha. That would have emotionally conflicted my Friday night line-up. :) Years later I was a big Magnum P.I. fan and the true confession is that Higgins was always my favorite character. Oh, another embarrassing truth... I was a fan of "Tales of the Gold Monkey." Probably best not to mention that.

Wow. You are right. I feel better after that confession.

P.S. - "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" was also not to be missed (if only for the opening credits).

Ah pronounce you GUILTY! The Partridge Family???? Clap him in irons!

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I confess to occasionally watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Not too puzzling, as Melissa Joan Hart and Beth Broderick were both cute; the show was crisply edited and directed; and they gave Nick Bakay, as Salem, some of the funniest lines in sitcoms (at least in the '90s).

SPEW!!!!!
Guilty as charged... Wow... that's pretty rugged. I'd say you deserve life in a dungeon for that admission but it does take a STRONG person to own up to watching... (lord I can't even type the name of the show).

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I think "Beavis and Butt-Head" is the most incisive comedy to come out of the 1990s. I never missed it when it was on.

(Mumble... Grumble, Judge bangs his gavel) "Foreman of the Jury have you reached a verdict? And if so what say you all?"

"I'm sorry your honor but we're unable to reach a verdict. While this show can rightly be accused of having the two most annoying characters in Television History the defense rightly points out that it was quite good a skewering the culture of its day."

(Banging of gavel). "Ah declare a mistrial, release the prisoner...."

Judge Worf

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
SPEW!!!!!
Guilty as charged... Wow... that's pretty rugged. I'd say you deserve life in a dungeon for that admission but it does take a STRONG person to own up to watching... (lord I can't even type the name of the show).

Worf
Well, y'know, it's a comic book. Not Marvel or even DC, but the kind you read back when you were 10. (Harvey Comics, Baby Huey or Casper, that sort of thing.) Each TV scene is kind of like a series of panels in a comic.

Mary Tyler Moore or Dick van Dyke it ain't, and won't be.

Oh, and I liked the early years of the *original* Beverly Hills 90210. Tried the new show in 2008 and it didn't grab me, but there was something neat about the way the original series handled the drama. Macbeth it wasn't, but it was fun.

Last edited:
Ha! My sister was a die hard "Dark Shadows" fan...
I might have been if I had paid closer attention to it. I had heard of the show when it was still on the air, but found out it was a soap opera and dismissed it without any further investigation. It was years after it had been cancelled before I learned of it's "horror" theme, and by then it was too late.

...P.S. - "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" was also not to be missed (if only for the opening credits).
D'oh! How could I have forgotten about Kolchak??? This was a show that suffered from Universal Studios' "on the cheap" business mantra, but Darren McGavin gave it his all in every episode (both in front of and behind the camera as an unofficial Executive Producer) regardless of how absurd the premise was or how cheap and cheesy the "monster of the week" looked. I still enjoy the show despite it's many flaws, and watch the box set at least once a year.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You just best leave town now pardner.. Ah hears there's a posse of vigilantes with a rope! They ain't gonna wait fer now trial!

Worf

PS How in god's good name could you watch that pile of wood week in and week out?

Your honor, really I wasn't watching ...it was kinda on in the background as my crazy, cross eyed Uncle Jeb was watching it. Honest. But that Walker Texas Ranger was so well written and the acting was so goood that I just couldn't turn away. Dang!

EngProf

Practically Family
(Mumble... Grumble, Judge bangs his gavel) "Foreman of the Jury have you reached a verdict? And if so what say you all?"

"I'm sorry your honor but we're unable to reach a verdict. While this show can rightly be accused of having the two most annoying characters in Television History the defense rightly points out that it was quite good a skewering the culture of its day."

(Banging of gavel). "Ah declare a mistrial, release the prisoner...."

Judge Worf
I'd like to file a "friend of the court" brief advocating that no further prosecution be considered.
If "B and B" was actually about the lives of two idiot slackers, prosecution would be justified. The fact that is a well-thought-out parody/satire of two idiot slackers actually takes it out of the "guilty pleasure" category.
I even used in my engineering-design class an episode of B and B in which they invent "The next big thing - The Buttscratcher 2000" - using a bent coathanger.
Believe it or not, it had most of the aspects of the engineering design process portrayed in a humorous way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk