Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Also unreal

BogieMcFly

New in Town
But not quite as bad, for me.

Today I went to get my hair cut - I'm growing it out a little longer so that I can comb it instead of "spike" it, so that I won't have such dramatic "fed head." (Any ideas how to prevent that, guys? Or am I on the right track?)

Anyway, the woman cutting my hair asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and, being pretty vague, said, "Humphrey Bogart and Indiana Jones stuff," not wanting to have to explain what a fedora was, or any of that.

Well, upon hearing my comment, the woman cutting my sister's hair, behind me, began to laugh!! She said, "Where do you get THAT stuff?"

It amazes me, how some people today seem to forget about things that seem to have "faded away," and more so when there is a crossing of generations, or between appearances of styles. When a 15 year old of today's world says that his favorite actor is Humphrey Bogart, or that the 1930's were indeed the Golden Era, why is he laughed at? What is the problem with enjoying the past, and embracing what you think is so great, and why do people have such trouble accepting it when you do?

*sigh*

In Christ,
Shane

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Wow, that's really sad, that an older lady would be so ignorant. Don't worry about it, she must have just had a childhood deprived of happiness and watching good movies ;)

Anyway, The lady who cuts my hair didn't know how to give me a 30's style cut, either...which was quite simply long on top and short on the sides, and it just looks out of proportion. I think I'll tell her to not cut the top at all...
I think that was the tip Matt Deckard gave: don't let them touch the top, and ask for a shelf cut. If i knew how to say that in Chinese, I would, but for the time being I'll have to describe it.
Umm..my problem with wearing a fdora is that the back tends to flatten out in the middle, and then flare out on the sides. I'm basically gonna just not let them touch it. I think the more it grows out, the less the fedora will mold it. Also, try slicking it with pomade or like a wax instead of the gel. I found that the gel left a tackiness on the sweatband sometimes...

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by BogieMcFly ...When a 15 year old of today's world says that his favorite actor is Humphrey Bogart, or that the 1930's were indeed the Golden Era, why is he laughed at?
Seriously, there are a few reasons. For one thing, most 15-year-olds don't have the taste, experience or perception to recognize Humphrey Bogart's contributions to his profession and modern culture. So when a 15-year-old professes his admiration for Bogart it surprises them and they laugh. Further, 15-year-olds tend to be very much governed by herd instinct. They're like a murder of crows. They want to find someone in their peer group to pick on and make their whipping boy. So if anyone in that peer group does a little thinking outside the norms, they tend to give him or her denigrating labels, refer to him or her as "stupid," "dull," "lame" or whatever epithet is popular at the time.

As I recall, you're at pretty much the low point for that kind of thing. Things should start looking up soon, and get better for the next several years. That kind of behavior never goes entirely away, but it does lessen. Also, as the years go by, you'll probably (hopefully) find yourself giving less and less of a damn what anybody else thinks of you.

Strider

One of the Regulars
Shane,

I've noticed this particular thing myself. As was stated before, most folks your age don't have the taste to recognize who Bogart is, much less his contributions to his field. As for Indiana Jones, nowadays, Indy is more of a thing you have to be shown by someone else to see. Same with Bogie, really..which is kind of sad. While Indy and Bogie are definetly very iconoclastic people, they're not put in the public eye anymore as much as they used to be, and thusly are not stuck in people's psyche like, say, MTV is.

I wouldn't say these things are forgotten, they're there, alright. Just not a whole lot of people go looking. It takes a special kind of person who did not live during the time to realize that the golden era was indeed golden, and to miss it, as it were, even though they never lived in it. Aside from Bogie, my favorite golden era actor has to be Jimmy Stewart.

Regards,
Strider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ