• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Alternative lining for an A2

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Mark, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Mark

Mark A-List Customer

Has anybody requested an alternative lining for their A2? I have an Aero Bronco Jerky Russet on order. At the moment its coming with the standard Mustard cotton lining. However, i really would like something a little different. I know it goes against the grain putting anything else in an A2 but has anybody done so? What did you go for? I have been looking at Aero's link to their supplier of Tartan cloths but with 500 choices its not an easy task to find one that will sit well with an A2 jacket. I reakon a muted brown/red might look ok. What do you guys think?

2. Otter

Otter One Too Many

Going back a few years Aero used to do a mustard brown spun silk lining for some jackets and a special edition red "Aces" silk lining.
    I had the mustard in one jacket and still have the red lining (see my avatar) both were very nice.
  3. aswatland

aswatland My Mail is Forwarded Here

Now if you had a shiny black or green lining it would be quite authentic as a vet replacement!:) A red silk lining would be ok, but I know of several people who have such lining, but it has had a short life.
  4. Aerojoe

Aerojoe Practically Family

I have an Aero Bronco on order too. I requested double lining. The outer layer is the stock one and for inner layer I requested something thin and warm but I didn't specified what. I guess Aero can chose an appropriate fabric better than me.
  5. leopardstyle

leopardstyle One of the Regulars

My Buzz Rickson came with a muted brown orange and I love it. Couldn't imagine my jacket without it.
  6. Mark

Mark A-List Customer

Thanks leopardstyle, muted orange sounds good. Amanda at Aero has told me there is only the Mustard and Rust linings available for the A2. Its not so much the colours that bother me rather the feel of the material i don't like. I considered (briefly) sourcing my own lining but not sure how practical/easy this would be. I guess i'll have to get used to Mustard!

Cheers for your feed back chaps

7. Phantomfixer

Phantomfixer Practically Family

I have always wanted a flannel type lining in an A-2. Something a tad warmer than the spec lining.
  8. Otter

Otter One Too Many

Just a thought, if they still have some of the alpacca they used in the B-10's, that is nice and thin but very warm.
  9. aswatland

aswatland My Mail is Forwarded Here

How about lining it with sheepskin!;)
  10. If you want something like an A-2 with a non-standard lining, look at Schott. Part me me says do what you want, part says oh god no. :eeek:
  11. I have a goat A2 with the red silk. It's nice. Also have an Aero AN6552 with the red rayon.... that'd be nice. I have my eye on a black thirties halfbelt - I want a red drill cotton lining in that. That might be a nice (durable) option for an A2.
  12. Aerojoe

Aerojoe Practically Family

That's not an alternative lining :) AN6552, M422 and some G1s used to have red lining. Take a look;

I have seen some of these vintage jackets with a dark brown lining but I couldn't tell if it was as a result of the fabric being all stained after years of use.
  13. Don't forget purple too. But not A-2's.
  14. archbury918

archbury918 One of the Regulars

I have an older Eastman A-2 that I had badged for 82nd Airborne paratrooper wear. I had original camouflage para material used for the lining to duplicate an original a friend has.

15. Otter

Otter One Too Many

The cammo parachute, I have a scarf made of that.
  16. Ah, I had wondered about that - I've seen a Japanese repro that had that as a lining, and I was curious as to whether it replicated an original with non-standard, field-replacement lining.

Oh yes, I realise it was a standard on those, ust struck me it could be a nice alternative for the A2, and is, I think ,just a little more durable than the red silk lining available in some A2 models.
  17. archbury918

archbury918 One of the Regulars

Yes the camo lining was done by vets. There's an example of one in Bill Rentz' Geronimo!