Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestor hat pics

GrayEyes

Familiar Face
Grandfather Harry and Uncle Max, with panama hats in hand. I am not sure exactly where or when the photo was taken. Either the late 1920s or the 1930s.

jpeg631.jpg

And here is Grandmother wearing a cloche (or similar hat) and Grandfather is a homburg, probably in the 1930s.

jpeg632.jpg

Last edited:

stratcat

One of the Regulars
A couple of photos from England for you!
The first is the summer of 1936. The photo is of my grandmother and her parents.
great grandad ma and gran.jpg
This one is an earlier photo, but I have no idea as to the exact date. It's taken at Smithfield market in Manchester. The lady second from the left is my grandfathers, grandmother (I suspect late 20's/early 30's as she passed away in 1932). The man on the right and the lady on the far left I believe to be my grandfathers Aunt and uncle.
Market pic.jpg

TPD166

One Too Many
Thanks everyone - I am very fortunate that our family history (on my Dad's side) was well-preserved.

Great pics and your right he did have great taste in hats.

Wow, those are some great photos. At 42 he was a young man to go in the line of duty ambushed while handling a disturbance call.

Great pics,interesting piece of history,Kirk H.

frussell

One Too Many
Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I have some pictures in a book of genealogy my mother, brother and sis-in-law put together. I can try and scan some pics of grandfather and his brother with their hats but they may not turn out too well...

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Nice hat! Bari sax was my favorite to play in jazz ensemble. I played alto since 5th grade, tenor as a junior and bari as a senior and into college.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
This is the only picture of my grandfather I could locate that shows him with his hat. He was always wearing a hat. There have to be more. Maybe my uncle has some.

I like the way he throws in a little attitude by tipping the hat over his left eye. I tend to do the same thing with fedoras. This was taken sometime in the 1920's. The youngest fella there is my uncle George, and he was born in 1918. My dad was born in 1930.

i-8CBsmQf-L.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
This is my grandfather's brother, my great uncle Frank. He died fairly young, and for reasons I'm not quite sure about people later called my grandfather Frank, and also my cousin. Both gramps and my cousin were named Joseph. I'm guessing it was a way to memorialize my Uncle Frank.

i-hgpFS7W-XL.jpg

RJR

jlw

One of the Regulars
1943: My mother's family gathered for a picture before three of the brother's went off to war. That's my grandfather in the fedora. He is holding my mother. He fought in Italy with the 34th Infantry Division. The man in uniform is his brother, Dewey. Dewey was in a tank unit with the 3rd Army in Germany. Just to Dewey's right is Howard. Howard was with the 114th Infantry in Germany. My grandfather and Dewey would survive and would both be recalled to active duty with the Air Force in Korea, but neither actually went in-country.

The older gentleman in the front-right is my great-grandfather. That is a son that he is holding. That son went fought in Vietnam.

One generation, three wars.

XFsMD9I.jpg

This is PaPa and Howard walking the streets of their hometown just before they both shipped out.
hnmea5y.jpg

As for Howard:

UsqkJim.jpg

He didn't make it home. He was killed just outside of Dossenheim. His unit was pinned down, and he got position on the Germans and was raking them with fire from a BAR. He refused orders to retreat and held his position so that his buddies could escape. Ultimately he was killed by a 20mm shell. That information is from a book written by the company commander. Howard was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star for a previous action.

Below is how my grandfather leaned his brother was dead. He sent him a letter. It came back stamped "deceased".

BXmt5NS.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk