Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestor hat pics

jlw

One of the Regulars
Apparently, Uncle Silas was proud of his rooster.

mLIeKU5.jpg

He was a my great-great-uncle. The picture was taken on the old family farm near Sand Mountain in Alabama.

Last edited:

jlw

One of the Regulars
omgWC8x.jpg

The little girl with her hands on her face is my great-great-aunt. The girl just to her left is my great-grandmother. She is in the picture a few posts above as she is the mother of that whole brood. She birthed nine children, had three sons in WWII, two sons in Korea, and a son and a grandson in Vietnam.

The large feller is her grand-father; my great-great-great-grandfather. The woman standing just over his right shoulder is my great-great-great-grandmother. They were known in the family as Big Paw and Little Maw.

Last edited:

jlw

One of the Regulars
I previously posted the top picture, but I found the two followups and want to post them all together:

XFsMD9I.jpg

wb8pGzh.jpg

ov80Mjk.jpg

I don't have a year on this one, but Uncle Butch is missing due to his being in Vietnam. He's the little boy sitting in my great-grandfather's lap in the top picture.

...I don't have a year on this one, but Uncle Butch is missing due to his being in Vietnam. He's the little boy sitting in my great-grandfather's lap in the top picture.
Based on the year of the first photo and his age, I'd say this was probably taken in the early- to mid-1960s.

jlw

One of the Regulars
Based on the year of the first photo and his age, I'd say this was probably taken in the early- to mid-1960s.

It could be. Perhaps I am mis-remembering what my grandfather told me. Butch was is my great-uncle, but he is very close in age to my mother. She is the little girl being held by the man wearing the fedora in the back row of the top picture.

jlw

One of the Regulars
5uqXfCm.jpg

Pictured is my great-great-grandfather, "Bob", with his second wife and their children. Uncle Charlie is sporting a nice cap. Bob was killed by a hit-and-run driver. It turns out the driver drove a taxi, and one of my great-aunts figured out who it was and called the cab for a ride. She held a pistol to the cab driver's head, and he confessed, but Granny Pitts talked her out of shooting him saying it wouldn't bring Bob back.

Granny Pitts lived to be 99 years old, and I have memories of her. It wasn't until I started doing genealogical research that I learned that she was actually step-Granny Pitts.

jlw

One of the Regulars
All of these folks are distant cousins. I have no real contact with that branch of the family; I just have the pictures due to my genealogical research.

That doesn't prevent us from enjoying the hat pictures though.

jypv0fG.jpg

Henry: He and my great-grandfather were first cousins. The rest of the pictures are his brood.

5275J7B.jpg
B3d5DzE.jpg
IqTxvCC.jpg
TKPsiYg.jpg
M7ppAHa.jpg

William, Henry's brother

Bob was killed by a hit-and-run driver. It turns out the driver drove a taxi, and one of my great-aunts figured out who it was and called the cab for a ride. She held a pistol to the cab driver's head, and he confessed, but Granny Pitts talked her out of shooting him saying it wouldn't bring Bob back.
Quite a fascinating story! Thanks for sharing that.

Maries County, Missouri, circa 1950. My namesake (Maternal Great Grandfather Robert Edward Hollis, 1878-1969) is on the right. Next to him is his sister Margaret, his brother William and William's wife Matilda (or Dollie). Robert was still living when I was a little kid passing away at age 91 when I was nine. About the only thing I remember is that he had a pet whitetail deer.

30111162614_f44e21ee18_z.jpg

Here he is with his wife (Great Grandma Olive or Ollie) circa 1919. She passed away in 1945 -- 15 years before I was born. She looks a lot like my Mom.

30107983823_8d6758da1e.jpg

No hat in this pic, but here he is pictured with his sisters Margaret and Lizzie in 1945. Lizzie died in 1949.

30111449734_ba50348dd5_z.jpg

To make up for the lack of hat, here is brother Willam in 1957.

30443267080_6d21ef3cac_z.jpg

Here's a photo of my great grandfather, Charles Roy Perkins. My Grandma thinks it was taken in the early thirties.

cc670afc5fbd53d1e9cef456947b4e5b.jpg

Great Gramps could sure wear a hat! I must have got it from him.

Sent from thin air using electricity and other wizardry.
This is a great image!! The apple does not fall far from the tree!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ