Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another hat ? Really???

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
There is always the tale of J.Depp & V.Paradis to keep in reserve for when things go belly up regarding hat collections & spouses. ....as many of us know Johnny is an obsessive hat collector which didn't always please Vanessa. On several occassions she demanded that Johnny get rid of his accumulated junk which he of course refused to do. So one day, Vanessa gave Johnny an ultimatum, "it's me or the hats" ........................and the moral of the story is that not only did Johnny get to keep his hats but he also ended up with a beautiful blond 23 years younger than himself. a win-win situation for him where as poor lil' Vanessa is currently alone & unwanted...........................No doubt there was more to the break up of their relationship than just the hats but it may give some wives food for thought, at least until the next hat arrives....:rolleyes:

My wife hasn't said anything about my meager hat collection so far, probably because I've "cleared" each purchase with her first just to be sure she hadn't earmarked those funds for the mortgage or other bills. She handles our finances because that's what she did for a living when we got married, she wanted to, and I was more than happy to "allow" her to take charge of that dreary task. :D Also, I've asked her opinion(s) about each hat I've bought beforehand, so in a way she's complicit in my acquisitions.

That being said, she has a bit of a thing for purses, the majority of which she never even uses. So if she ever gives me static about my hats, I'll only have to mention her purse collection and that'll pretty much end the conversation. :yo:

I'm not married, but I've dated women who tried to make me stop wearing fedoras simply because they think wearing them makes a man look uncool and they didn't want to be 'embarrassed' in front of their friends/relatives etc. who share the same opinion.

When that happens, I always choose my fedoras over those women. If I participate in a relationship, the woman will have to accept that fedoras are part of my soul, and never shall they and I be separated. Otherwise, I walk away from that relationship.

However, I can see how continuing to buy an extreme amount of fedoras while in a marriage relationship might possibly be a tad inappropriate. That is to say, a woman who does not accept fedoras does not seem to be the same as the OP's woman, who does seem to accept fedoras - so I wouldn't apply the thoughts I've given in this post to the OP's particular type of situation.

I think that most of us have been lucky enough to marry someone who accepts us for who we are. I certainly wasn't a "hat guy" when we got married all those many moons ago, but she understands my proclivities and allows me to be me. As I try to allow her to be her.

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
I think that most of us have been lucky enough to marry someone who accepts us for who we are. I certainly wasn't a "hat guy" when we got married all those many moons ago, but she understands my proclivities and allows me to be me. As I try to allow her to be her.

Sounds like you found the right one. My wife did give me approval before the marriage to have as many motorcycles as I wanted. Wasn't as into hats then or I might have had her agree there as well :) She was primarily the one that got me started on hats though because she wanted me to have the sun protection.

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, she does have a bit of a thing for shoes.. Guess what showed up at the door shortly after.. UPS with a delivery from Zappos.com. I think we're pretty balanced between the shoes & the hats.

Sounds like you found the right one. My wife did give me approval before the marriage to have as many motorcycles as I wanted. Wasn't as into hats then or I might have had her agree there as well :) She was primarily the one that got me started on hats though because she wanted me to have the sun protection.

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, she does have a bit of a thing for shoes.. Guess what showed up at the door shortly after.. UPS with a delivery from Zappos.com. I think we're pretty balanced between the shoes & the hats.

The only thing I warned her about before we got married was baseball. I asked her on our second or third date if she liked baseball. She said, "Yes, my father is a baseball fan." I said, "No, I mean really like baseball." Then I told her how many games I usually attended over the course of the year, that I listen to every game on the radio, and there would be times when she'd get hacked off at me for it." Never really had a problem since that day - well, one minor dust-up on a road trip when I was not paying attention to what she was telling me (Hey, it was late in the season, the Reds were still in the hunt, and they were playing the Dodgers, fer cryin' out loud!). She not only watches, listens, and attends with me, she has sat beside me for 30-35 games a year since 2000, when Dayton got their minor league team. She knows the game as well or better than anybody I know now!

And recently she found a vintage Stetson - in the box - at an estate sale and came home with it. Yup, I found the right one!

EstherWeis

Vendor
Wait, WHAT? I'm supposed to pay attention too? That explains a lot. :)

Roger

Lol! That's cute. :D

I'd say that you pick up stuff from each others interests.
I never liked working in the garden but the hubs loves it. I now recognize all sorts of plants and actually know what to do with them ( this from someone who could kill a cactus)
He knows about hat types,felt qualities and ribbons. I recently discovered he can actually tell what is what.
So he does listen to my rambles :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I'm pretty lucky. I mull purchases over pretty carefully and for a long time (too long actually). My wife's comments are usually along the lines of, "Just buy it." That includes hats now. She's urging me to pull the trigger on a Peters Brothers Milan Hemp for my birthday. As usual, I'm still thinking about it.

I'm also addicted to outdoor gear (mostly winter stuff). She usually ends up getting the same items for herself (sharing interests I guess, along the lines of what you mentioned, Esther). Like now she even has her 'own' pair of snowshoes, so she can go along. She hasn't gotten into hats yet. :)

Andy

Last edited:

facade

A-List Customer
Guys I have been married for 19 years (I'm 42) and I usually buy stuff without consulting with the wife. But lately has been kind of hard to justify me buying more hats. It's a little difficult to justify having more than 40 hats and only 1 head :D. Don't get me wrong she loves how I look on my hats (or at least that's what she says ) and she has bought me some hats as gifts also. Before I used to say " babe they are different, different color, different brand , different shape , different materials....etc) but right now I'm running out of excuses lol. I'm down to ..."babe is for my Dad (she loves my Dad, and yes he's a hat guy also) " . So now every 3 hats one is for my Dad, lucky guy ... Hahaha. Anyways I am curious how you Guys do it, and what's your dilemma? This is going to be fun.... Lets hear it!:cool:

The answer is quite simple. "Yes I bought myself another hat... oh and I bought this for you."

LeBois46

One of the Regulars
Haha, other way around here :)

He goes, really! Did you really order more black felt? Don't you have 12000 black hats already?
I'm lucky that most are stocked in a room in the workshop. So he has no idea really.
And i do make them all myself, so the money aspect is still different.
But you know, order 3 hoods and some ribbon etc. it all ads up.
Then again, i surprise him with a new hat from time to time.

We are lucky that my husband has a pretty good job ( I work partly self employed and i manage a jewelry store)

childcare, healthcare, education is all affordable in Belgium.

No crazy shoe/clothes,/ bag addiction.
I spend the most on food if I think about it.
Good wine, nice cheese and all that jazz.
I like to cook so i tend to buy the expensive stuff.

But you can't eat shoes so that's okay right?!? :D

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Do you have a sister?

Gunship

New in Town
Guys --- & Esther --- the remark I usually hear is "You've got a hat box that was delivered today. C'mon, I mean, really? But, damn, you look so good in them!" Conversation usually stops there as we head out the door to her favorite restaurant. It also helps that I keep pushing her to order one for herself to wear to next year's Kentucky Derby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot