Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Anti-Aging" Treatments?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Hello, ladies. I am wondering if any of you use salves or treatments beyond skin moisturizer to stave off the signs of aging, such as Botox or one of the many highly priced products on the market that claim to remove the years from your face?

I am fortunate in that I have good genetics. My mother has aged very gracefully and always looked 10 plus years less than her actual age. She doesn't use any fancy face creams, scrubs, etc. I'm 38 but am often told that I look 29. I'd like to stay 29 for a while, so I'm wondering if anyone has good suggestions? :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I just hate aging! :rage: almost cried when I got my first lines under my eyes...so....for them I use Roc protient lift, night firming cream...works great :D The best thing you can do for your skin is staying out of the sun...that does the most major damage, also, your skin looks its best when it's well hydrated, drink up on lots of h2o!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'll second the water idea -- that's what we're mostly made of, after all, and it really does help. I try to drink at least two quarts of water a day, and I can see the difference in my skin, especially when the weather's dry.

Stay away from Botox, though -- that frozen-face effect is none too flattering.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I'll second the water idea -- that's what we're mostly made of, after all, and it really does help. I try to drink at least two quarts of water a day, and I can see the difference in my skin, especially when the weather's dry.

Stay away from Botox, though -- that frozen-face effect is none too flattering.

Oh yes, I would never do the Botox thing. I think it makes people look bizarre.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have heard that Dita von Teese swears by Creme de la Mer--and that Nivea's original creme, which comes in a blue tin (made in Germany) is the exact same thing. The interesting thing being that Nivea was unveiled in 1911and costs mere pennies ;)

I've tried Nivea, and I rather like it!

decodoll

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I have heard that Dita von Teese swears by Creme de la Mer--and that Nivea's original creme, which comes in a blue tin (made in Germany) is the exact same thing. The interesting thing being that Nivea was unveiled in 1911and costs mere pennies ;)

I got a sample of Creme de la Mer a few years ago and nothing ever before or since has done what that did to my skin...it was horrible! It made me break out, and I had a big red puffy splotch the size of a quarter between my eyebrows for days. :eek: It obviously works for some people, but if you're considering it, get a sample and try it on an inconspicuous test spot first. :)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I consider myself pretty lucky because I guess I have good genes. Neither my mom nor any of her sisters really had wrinkles or lined skin until they were well into their '70's. They always used Pond's cold cream at night and then Oil of Olay when it first came out and was popular. My mom is now 81 and still uses Ponds! She still looks pretty good too;)

I am facing the Big 40 this year:eek: I also use Pond's cold cream every night and have started using Dove Anti-aging night cream. So far, so good.....:rolleyes:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm fortunate to have pretty good skin. The things I recommend are staying out of the sun (and using sunblock as much as possible) and drinking lots of water.

I cleanse with Pond's cold cream and I just use Oil of Olay or Burt's Bees moisturizer, and make sure I remove all my makeup each night. I get a professional facial a few times a year, and I do my own at home facials (steam, Queen Helene Mint Julep mask - the best!) about once a week or as I have time. So far it has all worked for me.

I just don't put a lot of merit in mega-expensive products a la Creme de la Mer.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:

Do you use the Nivea creme on your face? I've used it on my hands and like it, but I was concerned about trying it on my facial skin.

Rosie

One Too Many
Drink LOTS of water

I'm 28 and started using anti aging creams when I was about 25, not that I looked older, I just wanted to thwart off an liitle wrinkles before they even started. Anyway, Nivea makes a great cream but for the last year, I've been using unrefined shea butter and :eusa_clap ! This past year, people have been telling me I look well rested, a few people mistook me for being like 23 and a friend of mine asked if I had a facial peel. :)

I get mine from this company http://www.agbangakarite.com/ as it is partially owned by the women in the community who make this product. Great stuff!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I have very sensitive skin as well, so anything that I put on my face has to noncomogenic,and hypo-allergenic...I've found alot of these anti-aging products don't claim these...they are out there though

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Actually, I do use Nivea on my face (note—you want the tin made in Germany, and not Mexico. Apparently, there is a difference in the product.) It's highly recommended over on makeupalley.com.

Otherwise, I swear by Pond's Cold Cream, Burt's Bees Orange Essence Cleansing Oil, and Burt's Bees Marshmallow Vanishing Cream.

My skin is actually very sensitive and acne prone, and was quite oily when I was younger. It's drier these days, but the cold cream agrees very well with it and healed my acne significantly. It's funny--a great aunt insisted I try cold cream when I was in my early 20s (that's what she used in her youth.) Nowadays, people will tell you that mineral oil is a comedogenic ingredient (and it does irritate some skins), but it actually works to heal a lot of skin irritations. If you read the reviews on MakeupAlley, a lot of people report the same effects that I have found.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
speaking of skin 'troubles', Pro-Active...works wonders as well...I've been using it for a little over a month now and have noticed big improvements...not only does it clear skin up but, it makes your skin feel very soft as well....starting to sound like one of their ads, huh? :D

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
mysterygal said:
speaking of skin 'troubles', Pro-Active...works wonders as well...I've been using it for a little over a month now and have noticed big improvements...not only does it clear skin up but, it makes your skin feel very soft as well....starting to sound like one of their ads, huh? :D

I was going to ask if I'll be seeing you on their next infomercial. :D

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Sensitive Skin

I also have sensitive skin and used to be very acne prone until I started using Clinique about eight years ago. I use their three step skin care process- soap, gentle astringent and moisturizer. I use Body Shop Vitamin E cream for under my eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk