Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antique shop find: Clear Beaver Stetson fedora

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
We were on the road up around the MD/ PA border today in search for some texas hots and a buffalo farm.
We hit an antique shop on the way. Lots of hats (2 derbies, 2 panamas, 3 boaters, 1 top hat), most were way overpriced.
Then I found this.
It's a 7X clear beaver stetson mode edge.
It has a 2-3/4 inch brim, and a 1-3/4" ribbon. It has a bit of stiffness to the felt, probably due to the denseness of it. It's very smooth.
I've never seen "mode edge" stamped this way.

It was hiding inside a stetson travel hatbox. The hatbox is covered in a fuzzy cloth material, and has coth binding on the edges. There is a handle and an elastic strap.
IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_3010.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

mingoslim

Practically Family
I want to know how you do it?

Is it your clean living . . . a special diet . . . your charm and good looks? How do you find the great hats you always seem to come up with?

I envy you . . . but in a good way! Keep it up!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This one was sheer luck. It was inside the closed hatbox under a table, just barely sticking out from under the tablecloth.

monsieur dinerman, you have some of the most remarkable good fortune i've come across. Your area seems to be as teeming as the midwest . . .

I thought i was lucky with my playboy/whippet/stratoliner find. man, you show me up big time in the find stakes.

bk

btw toronto is teeming with great vintage too . . . at least it was 3 years ago.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
What an amazing hat -- just about like winning the lottery!!! D-man, you've definitely got some good hat mojo working for you. When you opened the lid of that box and realized what you had found, you must have just about fainted...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
I'm with everyone else. You must have something. I spent all day looking around here for a hat and came up empty. I did find a "brown crest-Styled by Brown McDonald" fedora but it had moth damage and cost too much.

Anyway good snatch Dinerman. It looks like a winner. :eusa_clap

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think it's cool that it is from a hat shop from Atlantic City of the boardwalk. It brings back memories of my youth. ;)

That is one super clean and beautiful hat. Amazing find. Enjoy!

Razzman

One Too Many
WOW! What a fantastic hat. That hat is truly a treasure. Pure Beaver fedora. Congratulations on such a great find. Sign me up to go on fedora/hat safari with you:D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow Dinerman, that is one handsome lid! I know, I'm a girl, what the heck to I know about hats. Well, I know quality and style when I see it, and that hat's got both. Besides, I am Hemingway Jone's roommate (for a few more months :() so I've had a few lessons on identifying and critiquing hats.
Well, it's a very beautiful (sorry, threw in a girlie word) hat, and I'm sure it will look great on. Congrats:eusa_clap

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
Thanks for all the kind words.

For those who want to know: It was just under 30 bucks.

Your going to need a new handle Dman, like the hat finder of Mr Lucky. lol
Every time I find a nice one on e-bay the High Rollers swoop in and blow me away. :mad: .Bob

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dman, YOU are the MAN!! Damn good find:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
That is a most beautiful color. I believe most of my mode edges are stamped in the same way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points