Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any one like Flying Boats?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a great image of the lads comin' ashore at Pembroke.

AshoreAtPembroke.jpg

-dixon cannon

Bigglesworth

New in Town
Sunderland Flying Boats

See the web site of the Pembroke Dock Sunderland Trust at http://www.pdst.co.uk

The initial aim of the Pembroke Dock Sunderland Trust remains the recovery of Sunderland T9044 and to conserve and display as much as possible of this unique survivor as part of a Battle of the Atlantic and story of flying boats exhibition at Pembroke Dock - the largest flying boat station in WW2 operating both Sunderlands and Catalinas

The Trust is also leading initiatives with Pembrokeshire County Council to establish a military heritage centre in Pembroke Dock focusing on the community’s long and remarkable connections with all three Armed Services dating from pre - Roman times up to and including the Cold War and later.

The Trust has already opened the Flying Boat Interpretation Centre and Workshop in Pembroke Dock - a first for the UK.

Thirty volunteers run the centre which has displays, photos, uniforms, artefacts and memorabilia and interactive items for small (and big!) children.
The centre tells some of the stories of PD and its magnificent flying machines.

The centre is open from Tuesday-Saturday 10am – 4pm. Others times can be arranged by appointment – please telephone Pembroke Dock Sunderland Trust on 01646 623425.

Even morte reason to visit Pembrokeshire - a county steeped in military history and heritage

Cobden

Practically Family
Bigglesworth said:
See the web site of the Pembroke Dock Sunderland Trust at http://www.pdst.co.uk

The initial aim of the Pembroke Dock Sunderland Trust remains the recovery of Sunderland T9044 and to conserve and display as much as possible of this unique survivor as part of a Battle of the Atlantic and story of flying boats exhibition at Pembroke Dock - the largest flying boat station in WW2 operating both Sunderlands and Catalinas

The Trust is also leading initiatives with Pembrokeshire County Council to establish a military heritage centre in Pembroke Dock focusing on the community’s long and remarkable connections with all three Armed Services dating from pre - Roman times up to and including the Cold War and later.

The Trust has already opened the Flying Boat Interpretation Centre and Workshop in Pembroke Dock - a first for the UK.

Thirty volunteers run the centre which has displays, photos, uniforms, artefacts and memorabilia and interactive items for small (and big!) children.
The centre tells some of the stories of PD and its magnificent flying machines.

The centre is open from Tuesday-Saturday 10am – 4pm. Others times can be arranged by appointment – please telephone Pembroke Dock Sunderland Trust on 01646 623425.

Even morte reason to visit Pembrokeshire - a county steeped in military history and heritage

Good luck with the project; good to see that that South Wales is remembering it's aviation heritage and the important part it played in the war. RAF Pembroke Dock (and coastal command as a whole), and the important innovation's at Treforest further east (basically inventing aircraft salvage) to name but two were vital and oft forgotten in the minds of the public.

andy richards

Practically Family
Great project and great pics.

Here a small contribution. On the Aviodrome in Lelystad, The Netherlands, there was a project as well... They build a replica of the old 20's lobby and control tower of Schiphol Airport in that era. Now it is our national Air Museum with a lot of planes, displays and flying machines. You actually can book a flight with Catalina PH-PBY.

Also, there is a replica of a WWII RAF pilot's mess. A wooden barrack with bar, piano, seats and memorabilia. The nice thing is you can book the complete mess for a party in 40's style. We are planning to do so this year, of course with a strickt dress-code...

Anyway, here some nice pics of the PBY and the "old" Schiphol.
The second picture is a PBY of the KNIL, the former royal dutch colonial army in the east-indies.
Cheers,
Andy

11968564.jpg

C-FHHR20EHRD20150995.jpg

225409262_50c1f9692e.jpg

56095643_DSC_0584.jpg

Hazy memories.

A small memory just popped into my head!

Sometime around 1965-67 in the summer August I think, I went with my aunt to pick up her son at a summer camp. I was maybe 8 or 10 at the time and i was there only once for about an hour so it's just a snippet of a memory. I think it was way out east on Long Island. The camp was on the shore (North shore maybe) and the owners had a small flying boat type seaplane I think it was yellow in color. As it was the last day of the session they were giving rides to the camp kids. I remember a unique fascination with the seaplane and was disappointed I did not get to watch it more, and could only imagine getting to go for a ride.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Dixon Cannon said:
The Dornier DO-24ATT

dornier_1600_plain.jpg

Post-war restoration with three Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-45 turboprop engines, one built.

-dixon 'hull step' cannon
That's the plane Iren Dornier (Claude's grandson) flew over part of the old Do X tour route.
http://www.do-24.com

Speaking of the Do X, Wikimedia Commons has some swell shots of her...

Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-01224%2C_Flugschiff_Dornier_Do_X%2C_Passagierraum.jpg

Some of the 169-person world record passenger load, October, 1929. This was a stunt, really, with everyone seated on wicker benches in the bare hull. They had to get up and crowd to the left or right every time she made a turn.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-10655%2C_Flugschiff_Dornier_%22Do_X%22_mit_Besatzung.jpg

The full crew gathers before taking off from Friedrichshafen on the world tour, November, 1930. A/C Capt. Christiansen (with binocs) in the front row, then the pilots, Capt. Merz of Lufthansa (DB jacket) and Lieut. Schildhauer USN (sweater vest).

Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-10702%2C_Flugschiff_Dornier_%22Do_X%22%2C_Überprüfung_der_Motoren.jpg

One of the Curtiss V-1570s is checked by a Bordmonteur (inflight mechanic) at Amsterdam preparatory to taking off for England, November, 1930.

800px-Do-X_Landung_2_Havarie.JPG

Cannonball! The Do X loses her tail after coming in nose-high onto the Danube, Passau, May, 1933. This was her third major accident - each kept her in drydock for months at a time awaiting fabrication of new parts. The Nazi Air Ministry - never too fond of the plane - grounded her in 1934, and built an aircraft museum around her in Berlin.

Cobden

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
VenturiTubes.jpg

My assumption is that these tubes are large venturi's providing vacuum for the engine. Any other suggestions? Just curious!

-dixon cannon

The best I could come up with was storage for giant sausage rolls lol

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"The flying boats of the Swan, the US Navy Catalinas, flew into Matilda Bay, Swan River Colony, in 1943, The Japanese invasion of the Philippines had resulted in their evacuation from in and around Manila. They went first to Java but due to other threats of invasion, were again relocated, Swan River Colony, Australia.

The US Navy relocated the Catalina Patrol Wing No. 10 to Matilda Bay. They brought with them approximately 60 – 70 Catalinas or flying boats and 1200 Americans, including both members of the Navy and their support personal. The Swan River became their base and training ground between missions that took them as far North as Colombo and Ceylon. To celebrate Australia day January 26th 2010 a catalina is due to land on Perth's River-front, hope to be there and get some decent photographs"

catalinacalledmaa.jpeg

thor

One Too Many
Great thread!

When I was a 14-year old kid (the year was 1982) I was fascinated with the TV show "Tales of the Gold Monkey", the adventures of a pilot and his Grumman Goose in the South Pacific just before WWII.

Now, working as a captain in NY Harbor, I see the occassional seaplane landing on the East River (there is a designated seaplane landing zone around E. 23rd street, near the United Nations) taking people out to Long Island. Always great to see them take off and land!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21