Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Other Fiestaware junkies on here?

jskeen

One of the Regulars
I'm posting this in deference to my better half, just to see if there is anybody on here that happens to share the fiestaware bug. For those who don't know (and if you exit this thread quickly enough, you might avoid infection), Fiestaware is a line of vintage dishes and serverware made by the Homer Laughlin pottery company since 1936. It is known for it's bright solid color glazes and art deco inspired designs. It is collected, traded, obsessed over, and hoarded by more people than probably any other brand of kitchenware. My lovely wife has had me scouting for the stuff for years, and has an entire cabinet dedicated to displaying her vintage pieces (separated from the newer pieces we use all the time).

Anybody else out there that has "a fiestaware problem" or is currently in 12 step programs for fiesta recovery, go ahead and post up some pics of yours.

I’ve become a fan in recent years, although I don’t own a single piece of genuine Homer Laughlin Fiesta.*

However, available at the Dollar General store is what I call Faux-esta. Similar style, similar bright colors, but only three of them. And I doubt they’re of similar quality. But they’re only a buck apiece.

Bauer Pottery has similar dishes as well. But they’re real spendy.

*I’ll take that back. I do indeed have a genuine Fiesta coffee mug, in a dark blue, with “Minnesota Public Radio” emblazoned across it. I must have found it at a thrift store some time back.

Last edited:

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
I have newer Fiestaware, but I do love it. I only have a few pieces as my mother (who was going to buy me more) didn't like the colors I wanted. *sigh* My kids fight over who gets what plate. lol

53C9D8F0-8324-408E-A062-E3C60519601A.jpeg
All I’ve seen at Dollar General are dinner plates, salad plates, and cereal bowls, and only in blue, green, and orange.

But again, they’re only a buck a throw.

Racine’s, a mid-range restaurant here in Denver, uses Fiesta. I’m pretty confident it’s the same Fiesta available to the home consumer.

Sam’s No. 3, a three-restaurant chain here locally, uses dishes that look a lot like Fiesta, but it ain’t.

3fingers

One Too Many
My wife has quite a bit of her grandparents Fiestaware. We have also put together our everyday dishes from modern pieces bought on sale at different times. There's not a huge difference in the old and new (other than the radioactivity :D) but I tend to prefer the original colors.

Damn, way to bring my divorce back to the forefront folks! During my marriage the missus was an avid collector of the Laughlin stuff. Had cabinets full of it in various colors. I like it and it's serviceable, tough and has a diner sort of feel to it but it's dinnerware to me, right there a notch above paper plates, but that's just me. I left without any Homer Laughlin pieces or regrets about it.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Damn, way to bring my divorce back to the forefront folks! During my marriage the missus was an avid collector of the Laughlin stuff. Had cabinets full of it in various colors. I like it and it's serviceable, tough and has a diner sort of feel to it but it's dinnerware to me, right there a notch above paper plates, but that's just me. I left without any Homer Laughlin pieces or regrets about it.
I eat off fiesta ware almost every night. She has new and vintage. My wife loves vintage kitchen ware. Fortunately she's into vintge silverware now, it takes up less room. I'm with you Greg, it's just something to eat off of. I like seeing her enjoy it though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Farace

Familiar Face
My wife has quite a bit of her grandparents Fiestaware. We have also put together our everyday dishes from modern pieces bought on sale at different times. There's not a huge difference in the old and new (other than the radioactivity :D) but I tend to prefer the original colors.

My partner, before I met her, had some of the original Fiestaware, and one day she set a pitcher and a salt and pepper set on a sheet of photographic paper in her darkroom and left it overnight. Next day she developed it. Where the pitcher had been sitting there was a faint ring. But where the salt and pepper shakers had been sitting had a huge aura radiating out from them, with sharp rays. She sold the shakers the same day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff