Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody Else Collect Sewing Machines?

59Lark

Practically Family
that what i am saying.

I am speaking from experience and i have seen a lot of them come in running slow and smoking and people have a tendency to overdo it and just slather them with grease. The motor lube for the older machines doesnt do a lot either has a tendency to go hard in the nickel plated tubes and doesnt do the motor a lot of good. I tell most people to leave the motors alone unless their is a issue. Oil the machine according to the manual except the motor i rcommend leaving it alone. This advise comes from being a singer repairman for over 25 years. The slant a matic series of machines , ie the 401a, the 411g, the 421g, the 403a , the 503, right up to the 611g. were all great machines and really some of the finest machines singer built. Singer co a couple of years ago, said there were more singer machines in most peoples homes than any other brand of sewing machines what they didnt tell you was that most of them were old ones. The line they tried using and it failed was power tools for women , personally felt that one lacked any class at all. 59lark. have to get ready to go do amish service calls in amish country. :D :eek:

BoPeep

Practically Family
greasing the motor

Good to know, 59Lark. I do my own maintenance and have never greased the motor on any of my machines although the manual says to. Haven't had any issues either.

So what about these Egyptian machines? Were they designed specifically to be sent to the British colonies?

PoohBang

Suspended
so here's a fix question on the Singer 500...

My bobbin winder is out of commission for a while so I had to wind it on my old White (which doesn't fit that 66 bobbin)... anyway, I finally got some thread on the bobbin, but it's not perfect.

I put the bobbin in my 500 and I get about a inch of stitching done, and then it binds up... inside the bobbin thread is wrapped around the circle thing that surrounds the bobbin...

so what's wrong? Is it my poorly wound bobbin or is it some adjustment I need to make?

59Lark

Practically Family
questions answered about sewing machines.

First no the memphis decals were not for export only, actually the 27 and 127vs which stands for vibrating shuttle were the model T fords of the sewing machines, the first model really put into massive production and there were hundreds of thousands made, into production from the 1880s to the 1940s a long run, however the fancy decals did not last past world war one, machines did not have the fancy decals just plain gold after that period. Singer was a world product and looked much the same worldwide, that being said i once saw a machine from india that had some hindu symbols on the machine must have specially ordered for that market. again very old about 1920s.

Now with the 500a, sound as if the top isnt threaded right make sure you get the thread bewteen the discs in the top tension, if there is not tension on the top the thread will wind around the bobbin case etc, make sure the top tension is set on 4 or 5 . try that mike 59Lark.

PoohBang

Suspended
the sewing machine gods smiled at me yesterday...

I'm now the new owner of a vintage 1954 Singer 306K!

It's everything and more for someone who wants to sew denim and leather!

I just oiled it all up and purrs so quietly...

It's an unbelievable machine!

Andy Baillie

New in Town
I'll try and take some more photos of the others, but here are a couple of mine: -

1895 Singer Sewing Machine:
3468292434_5bf096b05a_o.jpg

1920s Jones Sewing Machine:
3468292428_b2c04d118a_o.jpg

1905 Wheeler & Wilson Sewing Machine:
3467478523_83226f5823_o.jpg

BoPeep

Practically Family
Nice cranks, Andy! I sewed briefly on a handcrank Singer and, while it helps to have a third hand, it was a very comforting feeling knowing that the machine couldn't run away without you. The decals on that Jones are gorgeous! Why don't they make machines with style anymore? I take my 99K Singer to all my classes, and everyone around me has the big white computerized box. ick

PoohBang

Suspended
I got two new machines this weekend...

One a Singer 15-91 that I really wanted, but then I found my 306K and probably don't need it.

and two... I just found a Singer 110W125 Industrial Leather Sewing Machine that was made for making shoes... just awesome machine. Originally a treadle that was converted... Owned by a shoe maker that made shoes for the Ziegfeld Folliess in the 1930's! I bought it from his grandson, who's a famous celeb in his own right... I need to clean it up and get it working, but once I do, I'll post some photos...

59Lark

Practically Family
last photo

is that a wheel to move the fabric instead of a foot, i have a reprint instruction manual for that machine i think. i have a 78 k ............ walking foot from the forties that do vinly and leather sewing on. those handcranks previous shown, the last one is a wheeler and wilson no 9 famous machine real workhorse and it was still in production when singer bought wheeler and wilson and there is some of those no 9 lablelled as singer from after when singer bought them. 59LARK

PoohBang

Suspended
59Lark said:
is that a wheel to move the fabric instead of a foot, i have a reprint instruction manual for that machine i think. i have a 78 k ............ walking foot from the forties that do vinly and leather sewing on. those handcranks previous shown, the last one is a wheeler and wilson no 9 famous machine real workhorse and it was still in production when singer bought wheeler and wilson and there is some of those no 9 lablelled as singer from after when singer bought them. 59LARK

it's a wheel that rides on the walking foot.
DSC01622.jpg

Miztorif

New in Town
White Model 764

26097_1302706620251_1608031714_717170_4093158_n.jpg

I just got this today, its been refurbished and is set to go- White Model 764. Does anyone know what year it is?

59Lark

Practically Family
white sewing machine heavy to carry.

Calling that white sewing a portable is a misnomer, late sixites i do believe made in japan and really , really heavy. There is one nylon gear that can go in them, i have had to change one once or twice. But otherwise not a bad machine expect for the weight. You can always put it in a cabinet someday and not have to lug it around. 59Lark:eek:fftopic:

Miztorif

New in Town
59Lark said:
Calling that white sewing a portable is a misnomer, late sixites i do believe made in japan and really , really heavy. There is one nylon gear that can go in them, i have had to change one once or twice. But otherwise not a bad machine expect for the weight. You can always put it in a cabinet someday and not have to lug it around. 59Lark:eek:fftopic:

@59 Lark
So I took your advice to go find a cabinet. Found a blonde 1960s era one for 25.00 at the thrift- guess what was inside? A white model 2167! In nearly perfect condition, It runs fine just needs to be oiled. Its marginally lighter then the 764 so I switched them and am taking the new 2167 to the shop to have it checked out.
Also, would you happen to know if the White attachment/Griest kits are interchangeable?:eek:fftopic:

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Old Singer....

I picked this one up for $25, heck all the cast iron alone is worth more than that. :D

It's in working condition, although the belt is frayed pretty bad. I don't know if it's supposed to look like this, (no deck), or if there's parts missing.

I went to the singer site to try and find another one like it, but no luck. I never seen one this old before.

I'm trying to find a pdf file on how to thread it and the bobbin, but not having much luck.

I'm hoping that someone here might be able to help me out. Does anyone know how old it might be? Thanks.

DSC04844.jpg
DSC04845.jpg
DSC04847.jpg
DSC04846.jpg
DSC04848.jpg
DSC04849.jpg
DSC04850.jpg
DSC04851.jpg

PoohBang

Suspended
that's a walking foot singer 29-4. should cost between 200-600. great pick up. I'd love one of those.

Check out youtube as there are some good videos on how it works.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
59Lark said:
on those early 66 and 99k, there was a coil spring thing to the right and the felt sat in it, take a piece of red felt and cut a little piece and poke it into the springy coil thing and then soak it with oil and it will lubricate the hook as it goes by. some machines also have one in the centre of the hook in a hole, and you also need to oil it as it oils the main bearing. have been a singer mechanic for twenty 28 years , if you have any other questions about old singers ask away. 59LARK.

I just had to do this on my own 66, and found that the spring actually screws out of the little hole it's mounted in -- just screw it out, screw the new felt in, and it's securely in place.

I did notice a bit of oddity in mine, though -- the bobbin ejector assembly doesn't match the picture in the manual. Instead of having a thin prong that fits into the slot at the side, it has a thick piece that fills that slot, and the manual's recommendation for "prying it out with a fingernail" just ain't gonna happen. I finally figured out that my assembly is held securely in place by a threaded screw, which has to be loosened to get the assembly apart, instead of the smooth pin shown in the manual.

My 66 was built in December 1921, and I can't tell when the manual was printed -- no date -- but the illustrations otherwise match, all but this one part. Any idea when the change was made? (And all you other 66 users, the online version of the manual also shows the later bobbin ejector, so don't be fooled.)

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PoohBang said:
that's a walking foot singer 29-4. should cost between 200-600. great pick up. I'd love one of those.

Check out youtube as there are some good videos on how it works.
Thanks Pooh, I did find a couple on utube, but none that show how to thread the darn thing. I also found the user manual on pfd file, but the same thing, no threading of the machine or bobbin. [huh]

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
Hi bolthead,
You won't believe what I picked up yesterday, yes snap a Singer 29K4 "patcher". I saved it from the scrap yard, it was sitting outside with all the old railings and radiators, not as cheap as your's but still a good price. It needs a good clean and some restoration, but seems to be in working order, have high hopes of making handbags and shoes with it.
Here's a PDF that show's you how to thread the machine, you can also date it, mine's 1874, WOW! I think this is the oldest thing I own.

Singer.jpg

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
I've had this machine for a number of years, it's very heavy and industrial, made by Posch in Germany. I've tried to research it on a few occasion but come up with nothing, the only Posch I can find produce wood splitters.
In the hope that someone recognizes this machine and knows what it's used for, I've posted some photo's, please help.

CIMG3096.jpg

CIMG3095.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points