Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else with a retro workspace?

docneg

One of the Regulars
Does anyone else here have a “retro” workspace? I have seen threads about people’s home offices but I don’t think I have seen any pictures of anyone’s real work environment. For me, the way my work environment looks and feels is very important for me to do my best work, and when I left a group practice and modern office building years ago, I knew I would never go back.

May I give you a little tour and hopefully spark some others to post their pictures?

Our office now is in a four-story house built in 1897 by a doctor for his residence and office. Now it is my residence and office as well. As you enter my private office, you will see (if you’re looking down) the beautiful cherry and walnut inlay pattern in the virgin white oak floor.

scan0001.jpg

No skinny little mini-blinds for me.
scan0002.jpg

My little Philco. You can guess what kind of music is usually playing.
scan0003.jpg

Twin carved lions flank the fireplace behind my desk. Sorry these are not high-resolution photos.
scan0004.jpg

My precious Western Electric 202 (yes, it’s functional).
scan0005.jpg

The Webster Teletalk intercom connects me with the receptionist.
scan0006.jpg

In an exam room, you will notice the floor model mercury blood pressure gauge—easy to use, accurate, and may I say somewhat stately. The aneroid models have to be calibrated every so often, and I have thrown away every electronic sphyg I have ever tried—they simply are unreliable. Yet the old Baum sealed mercury unit never needs calibrating, only replacement tubing and bladder every now and then.
scan0007.jpg

Below is an oscillometric cardiograph. This type of cardiography, also called “ballistic” cardiography, is extremely valuable as it can be used not only to get a heart tracing, but can measure peripheral circulation as well. By measuring the ballistic forces of cardiac contraction and blood ejection, we can get a very good picture of the cardiovascular integrity of the whole body.

In one minute’s time, without sticking any electrodes to the chest, one can get blood pressure, pulse rate, heart rhythm tracing, and—unlike the ECG—charts it for a full minute (unlike the common fifteen-second rhythm strip). So when someone presents with a change in rhythm only every 30th beat, we catch it.

The Cameron Heartometer was widely used in both hospitals and private physicians’ offices, and was typically preferred over the ECG (EKG) by osteopathic physicians. It was manufactured from the 1930s until around 1979. This is a ‘70s model. In case you’re wondering, our electrocardiograph is tucked away across the room and rarely has needed using.
scan0008.jpg

Here you can see what a graph looks like. Without any training, I am sure you can see that this person has some irregularities in rhythm and amplitude of the heart tracing—the missed beat is obvious.
scan0009.jpg

My receptionist’s desk, with the exception of the computer monitor, is only modern in the 1950s sense.
scan0010.jpg

I am going on about this to illustrate what I am sure many of you are obliged to tell people quite often: I don’t have these things because they’re antiques; I have them because they are beautiful and well-made, and do a better job than their modern counterparts. By the way, our patients love the place.

Anyone else out there?

Docneg

docneg

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
And MANY others by the simple search of 'office' :)
LD

Gee, Lady Day, I'm sorry I didn't check more deeply. I'm still new to search functions (after all, I AM still using a dial telephone!)

Hope the new thread doesn't cause confusion.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I don't have a retro workspace, but I do have a workspace with retro/vintage items in it. My desk is modern, but most of the stuff on it is old-fashioned. Rocker blotter from the 1940s, inkwell from...god knows when...dip-pen nibs from the 1930s, pen-rest, blotting-paper, numerous vintage fountain pens and a bottle of Sheaffer Skrip fountain pen ink from the 1930s.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, dont be sorry. The board has been around a while, so chances are what you want to talk about has been discussed before. Its happened to me too ;) .

All you have to do is use the advanced search, type in what you are looking for in that first box, hit 'search' at the bottom, and see what pops up.

LD

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey DocNeg,

Your office is beautiful. I love the radio you have. What music *IS* usually playing on it? And perhaps a strange question but...do you use your fireplace? I love a good open fire...

docneg

One of the Regulars
Shangas said:
Hey DocNeg,

Your office is beautiful. I love the radio you have. What music *IS* usually playing on it? And perhaps a strange question but...do you use your fireplace? I love a good open fire...

The music is typically big band, with the more raucous selections reserved for home play. No, I don't use the fireplace. The "good open fire" would be nipping at my derriere!

docneg

One of the Regulars
BinkieBaumont said:
Oh I just looked at your Avatar!!! are they scans from a magazine? and is this a big joke?

Dr Death Indeed!!!

I knew someone would eventually ask this. When I joined, I needed a quick avatar with a hat in it, and I had this capture of an old Shadow pulp magazine cover from the '30s. Then I realized that, because I actually LOOK like him (unfortunately), it is an appropriate avatar for me. Also, the arc of electricity from the wires he is holding is appropriate, because I have been struck by lightning multiple times!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Those are some great pics, DocNeg. You are certainly not alone in wanting to have a retro-looking workspace. I'm still working on mine, as I don't really have my own workspace yet, nor the income to support my habit. In future years though, I look forward to improving mine. It's a fun hobby.

Warden

One Too Many
I loved these pics, I been wondering if I could do the same in my workspace, I do use a CC41 dining table for my meetings, so I guess it is a start

Harry

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
docneg said:
I knew someone would eventually ask this. When I joined, I needed a quick avatar with a hat in it, and I had this capture of an old Shadow pulp magazine cover from the '30s. Then I realized that, because I actually LOOK like him (unfortunately), it is an appropriate avatar for me. Also, the arc of electricity from the wires he is holding is appropriate, because I have been struck by lightning multiple times!
How does one manage to get struck by lightning multiple times?
That image makes me think of the tesla coil-based quack devices
of the period. I'd LOVE to find a higher resolution scan of the picture.

Love the retro workspace. I'm working on mine and will post photos.

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
Marvelous. My workspace needs restoration and I hope this fall to do so so I can show it off. We live downtown so I can walk to the various courts and I work from what would have been the sole bedroom, off of the main parlor, as opposed to the "ladies'" parlor, in an Italianate farmhouse built in 1883. Restoration is slow, but I will be thrilled when it is complete. It is interesting because the whole house, the original part anyway, is all made of Cedar. All of the walls are framed in cedar, the floors are cedar, everything is cedar. There are two large cedar stumps under the house.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
docneg said:
Does anyone else here have a “retro” workspace? I have seen threads about people’s home offices but I don’t think I have seen any pictures of anyone’s real work environment. For me, the way my work environment looks and feels is very important for me to do my best work, and when I left a group practice and modern office building years ago, I knew I would never go back.

May I give you a little tour and hopefully spark some others to post their pictures?

Our office now is in a four-story house built in 1897 by a doctor for his residence and office. Now it is my residence and office as well. As you enter my private office, you will see (if you’re looking down) the beautiful cherry and walnut inlay pattern in the virgin white oak floor.

scan0001.jpg

No skinny little mini-blinds for me.
scan0002.jpg

My little Philco. You can guess what kind of music is usually playing.
scan0003.jpg

Twin carved lions flank the fireplace behind my desk. Sorry these are not high-resolution photos.
scan0004.jpg

My precious Western Electric 202 (yes, it’s functional).
scan0005.jpg

The Webster Teletalk intercom connects me with the receptionist.
scan0006.jpg

In an exam room, you will notice the floor model mercury blood pressure gauge—easy to use, accurate, and may I say somewhat stately. The aneroid models have to be calibrated every so often, and I have thrown away every electronic sphyg I have ever tried—they simply are unreliable. Yet the old Baum sealed mercury unit never needs calibrating, only replacement tubing and bladder every now and then.
scan0007.jpg

Below is an oscillometric cardiograph. This type of cardiography, also called “ballistic” cardiography, is extremely valuable as it can be used not only to get a heart tracing, but can measure peripheral circulation as well. By measuring the ballistic forces of cardiac contraction and blood ejection, we can get a very good picture of the cardiovascular integrity of the whole body.

In one minute’s time, without sticking any electrodes to the chest, one can get blood pressure, pulse rate, heart rhythm tracing, and—unlike the ECG—charts it for a full minute (unlike the common fifteen-second rhythm strip). So when someone presents with a change in rhythm only every 30th beat, we catch it.

The Cameron Heartometer was widely used in both hospitals and private physicians’ offices, and was typically preferred over the ECG (EKG) by osteopathic physicians. It was manufactured from the 1930s until around 1979. This is a ‘70s model. In case you’re wondering, our electrocardiograph is tucked away across the room and rarely has needed using.
scan0008.jpg

Here you can see what a graph looks like. Without any training, I am sure you can see that this person has some irregularities in rhythm and amplitude of the heart tracing—the missed beat is obvious.
scan0009.jpg

My receptionist’s desk, with the exception of the computer monitor, is only modern in the 1950s sense.
scan0010.jpg

I am going on about this to illustrate what I am sure many of you are obliged to tell people quite often: I don’t have these things because they’re antiques; I have them because they are beautiful and well-made, and do a better job than their modern counterparts. By the way, our patients love the place.

Anyone else out there?

Docneg

Can you elaborate on the intercom? Did you just find two working models, or did you have to restore them? I'd love to have something similar in my office one day!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If I was daring enough, you couldn't get more retro than this:

IMG_0525-1.jpg

But that box is my pride and joy and I would never use it with the same frequency that I use my regular desk. I do indulge myself sometimes, however, and open it up on a sunny day to write on it when I'm in the mood. At 150 years old, to me, it's the most retro workspace imaginable.

jkingrph

Practically Family
Neat, I can remember doctors offices looking like that.

As for the mecury blood pressure instrument, blood pressure is measured in mm of Hg so it is never out of calibration as the weight of the Hg is the calibration.

Dad was in the office equipment business and I can remember selling and delivering furniture like in your reception area up through the late 60's until I finished pharmacy school. That style continued on for another 10-15 years, so it's really not that old.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My workspace is very retro. It was built in 1883 and has changed little since then. Except for microphones on the counsel tables and fifty stars on the American flag, it looks the same as it did a century ago.

0104121157b-1.jpg

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ