Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever order an Aero midweight horsehide jacket? Or Aero's Sheene?

technovox

One Too Many
I'm about to pull the trigger on that new model of Aero Sheene. I'm torn between ordering it in a midweight horsehide or FQHH in brown. I already have the thick and heavy 4oz Chromexcel overdyed black hide from Johnson ( a beast in weight,) and I've got a black FQHH Halfbelt from Aero on the way. So I'm thinking that maybe I should order the Sheene in something substantially different... with regard to softness, color, and perhaps comfort level and versatility for this temperate Bay Area weather. Consequently, I've been pondering the softest, most lustrous, supple dark brown horsehide, possibly something in Aero's midweight 2.25 oz. (I'm not really enamored with goat.) I don't see Aero's medium weight horsehide mentioned very often in the searches I've done here in Fedoraland. Perhaps there's a reason for that. Does anyone here have first hand experience in ordering an Aero in their midweight horsehide? Regrets? Satisfaction? Or would it be foolish to go with anything other than Aero's 3 oz horsehide? And if anyone has ordered the Sheene I'd love to know what kind of leather you ordered it in.

I own several Aero's in full weight FQHH, one in their medium weight HH.
If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten that jacket in full weight HH also.
I just prefer the color/broken in feel of their FQHH.
I'm sure there are others who prefer their mid weight HH. It's a great leather too.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I have a Highwayman in mid weight oil pull HH that I've had for almost four years. I find it a bit more pliable and supple than the full weight FQHH or even heavy steer for that matter. Actually, it was cool this morning and I wore it to work today. The mid weight is pretty versatile and has broken in nicely. I'm not at all sorry that I bought it. I wouldn't discount the goat if you are looking for something soft and supple with lots of character right from the start. If I buy another Aero, that is what I am going to get.

wanz

One of the Regulars
I have a cafe racer in the mid-weight hide (along with a HWM in FQHH and a Dust Bowl in tumbled FQHH). If I had to do it all over again, I would still order it in that hide. It's a nice change up from the FQHH. Out of the box it offers the supple / soft finish that you are looking for. However, that is at the sacrifice of some character in the leather. I just received the Dust Bowl yesterday so I have virtually no experience with the tumbled FQHH yet. My initial impression is that it is a nice compromise between the mid-weight and regular FQHH.

majormajor

One Too Many
Aren't Aero's A-2s mainly mid-weight hides?

Yes, they are indeed. And personally, I love 'em. Since when did all FQHH have to be the heaviest??

Here's my A2 - in midweight, naturally.....

tdpm.jpg

And here (again) is my Aeromarine - also in midweight FQHH.....(in fact, this style could not even be made in heavyweight hide)....

eklb.jpg

Both are breaking in just as well, if not better, than the heavy stuff:D;)

majormajor

One Too Many
The A-2 is looking amazing now. Is it that pale, or is it the flash of the camera?

A bit of both. It started out much lighter than it is now, so I guess the flash picks up the underlying colour. But darker in natural light.

If it stops raining tomorrow, I'll take a daylight pic:D;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
What sort of terrible abuse did you put it through to get it that light? I have visions of pan scourers and boric acid...:D:eeek:

Graemsay

Practically Family
I had a few samples off Aero for a jacket that didn't happen, and I rather liked the russet jerky horsehide. The oil pulled hide is something else to consider.

I'd also strongly suggest the Bavarian deerskin that Aero have got in right now. I've just put an order in for an unlined Cafe Racer in it.

technovox

One Too Many
I have a cafe racer in the mid-weight hide (along with a HWM in FQHH and a Dust Bowl in tumbled FQHH). If I had to do it all over again, I would still order it in that hide. It's a nice change up from the FQHH. Out of the box it offers the supple / soft finish that you are looking for. However, that is at the sacrifice of some character in the leather. I just received the Dust Bowl yesterday so I have virtually no experience with the tumbled FQHH yet. My initial impression is that it is a nice compromise between the mid-weight and regular FQHH.

I'm liking the look of tumbled FQHH. There's one on ebay right now, and it has a beautiful patina.
Any chance of seeing a pic of your cafe racer in the midweight hide? That might come close to what a Sheene would look like (essentially a cafe racer with a spread collar.)

technovox

One Too Many
I had a few samples off Aero for a jacket that didn't happen, and I rather liked the russet jerky horsehide. The oil pulled hide is something else to consider.

I'd also strongly suggest the Bavarian deerskin that Aero have got in right now. I've just put an order in for an unlined Cafe Racer in it.

Unfortunately, from what I've been told, it's nearly impossible to get a sample of the midweight horsehide. And even if a sample was available, it still wouldn't convey how an entire jacket drapes and feels. But oil pulled and jerky seal are definitely on my list to consider.
Does anyone know if the jerky is lighter than the standard FQ horsehide?

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
My first and only Aero is in oil pull HH. Supposedly this is midweight although I have seen others describe it on here as somewhere between mid and heavy weight. I can only imagine what the full FQHH is like since it's plenty heavy enough for me. by comparison it makes every other leather jacket I've ever owned feel like I'm wearing a spiderweb.

technovox

One Too Many
Yes, they are indeed. And personally, I love 'em. Since when did all FQHH have to be the heaviest??

Here's my A2 - in midweight, naturally.....

tdpm.jpg

And here (again) is my Aeromarine - also in midweight FQHH.....(in fact, this style could not even be made in heavyweight hide)....

eklb.jpg

Both are breaking in just as well, if not better, than the heavy stuff:D;)

Both are very stunning. I'm particularly liking the darker shade on the Aeromarine (just my preference.)
Thanks for the pics. Very helpful!

Unfortunately, from what I've been told, it's nearly impossible to get a sample of the midweight horsehide. And even if a sample was available, it still wouldn't convey how an entire jacket drapes and feels. But oil pulled and jerky seal are definitely on my list to consider.
Does anyone know if the jerky is lighter than the standard FQ horsehide?

I have an A2 made from their jerky seal HH...at least what they were using a year ago.
It is much lighter. Not sure of the weight..but feels the same as my A2's from Good Wear. And a bit lighter than their mid weight HH.

wanz

One of the Regulars
I'm liking the look of tumbled FQHH. There's one on ebay right now, and it has a beautiful patina.
Any chance of seeing a pic of your cafe racer in the midweight hide? That might come close to what a Sheene would look like (essentially a cafe racer with a spread collar.)

No problem... happened to have a few on file.

This will give you an idea of how supple it is:

And a few more pictures at this link:
http://s867.photobucket.com/user/nwanzenr/slideshow/Aero Cafe Racer

I hope to find time to post pictures of the tumbled FQHH Dustbowl this weekend. I'll take a shot comparing the hides.

technovox

One Too Many
No problem... happened to have a few on file.

This will give you an idea of how supple it is:

And a few more pictures at this link:
http://s867.photobucket.com/user/nwanzenr/slideshow/Aero Cafe Racer

I hope to find time to post pictures of the tumbled FQHH Dustbowl this weekend. I'll take a shot comparing the hides.

Nice! I really appreciate the pics. Beautiful jacket! And it seems thick enough, yet still supple with just the right amount of hang. I see what you mean about sacrificing the character- but maybe that's because it hasn't had the time to age and develop patina?
Looking forward to seeing the tumbled FQHH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21