Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone had an Aero CXL Steer Shrink?

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Pretty self explanatory.
Just wondering if anyone's experienced the Aero jacket shrinkage with a CXL steerhide jacket.
Anyone with experience of both got anything to say on whether they age differently in this respect, or any other for that matter?

I understand that a certain degree of shrinkage is normal, due in part to creasing and I'm not sure what to do about that, if anything.

I still haven't found a satisfactory answer on what the differences are between the two, but in photos at least I think the brown steer is the more eye-popping. Holly advised against steer for a slim cut as it's thicker and heavier, but may break in softer in the end... maybe not. I guess there's just a lot of natural variation. I digress...

Cheers

Furrowson

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Steer Hide Board Racer broke in MUCH quicker than any of my thicker HH jackets and does drape better.

It's a very slim fit so if anything has slightly stretched in some parts, no shrinkage to speak of.

Honestly, I don't find it thicker or heavier than the CXL HH I have but maybe mine was an unusual batch?

I really like it, if it weren't for Vicenza or Shinki, it would probably be my first pick for new jackets moving forward.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Cheers for that ProteinNerd. I've heard others say the same regarding break-in time and I'm glad to hear you've avoided any shrinkage ;)

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Haha sorry Sloan I don't mean to upset anyone. I never really got my head around it, both the extent of it and if there was any response from aero. I've not looked into it much tbh, but started wondering if it's a legitimate worry nowadays...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Look, Horween leather is a stuffed with oils and fats and then effectively sealed with a top coat. If that doesn't scream 'nigh-on-waterproof', then I don't know what does. I've walked all my jackets through torrential rain and they've not budged an inch - the only shrinkage you should get is where there is wrinkling in the sleeves.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Makes sense to me. Like I said, I've really not looked much into it and wasn't really sure if there was something beyond that caused by creasing.

I'm wondering if I get a jacket that's just right length wise and then it shortens an inch due to creasing if it won't then be a bit short, but frankly I've never been that concerned with a jacket's length before so I should probably just not worry about it.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Please don't take us back to incredible shrinking jacket territory, I don't think I could take it.

I remember that! What do you think was really going on there? My theory is sometimes we get people that do weird shit to their jackets, like running them through the wash, or giving them a rubbing alcohol rubdown to "age" them but end up ruining them, then try and make a case that it happened on it's own in an attempt to get the company to replace it for free

El Marro

My first custom Aero was a Teamster in CXL FQHH which I ordered a size too large. Carrie at Insurrection had tried more than once to assure me that I did not need the larger size but I insisted.
After wearing the oversized jacket for a couple months I decided that I really didn't like the loose fit and I shrunk it. I used the HWT I had read about on this forum. I completely soaked the jacket in hot tap water for a couple of minutes, and then right into a hot dryer. I left a jacket in the dryer for a little over two hours, checking on it periodically.
I think I was one of the lucky ones who is tried this, because the jacket shrunk exactly as I had hoped. The chest and shoulders fit much better but the sleeve and back length did not change much at all.
I guess this is my long winded way of saying that you would have to go to great lengths to see any noticeable shrinkage on this kind of leather. If you keep it away from hot water and clothes dryers you should be fine.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, it was Schitzo, and he was a bit *special* and it could be that he screwed around with his Herc then tried to get his money back after doing something awful to it. But from the little I know of the situation, he had some sort of agenda: he went from being delighted with his jacket in one week, then two weeks later it was suddenly inches short, with no explanation as to what happened in between.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My first custom Aero was a Teamster in CXL FQHH which I ordered a size too large. Carrie at Insurrection had tried more than once to assure me that I did not need the larger size but I insisted.
After wearing the oversized jacket for a couple months I decided that I really didn't like the loose fit and I shrunk it. I used the HWT I had read about on this forum. I completely soaked the jacket in hot tap water for a couple of minutes, and then right into a hot dryer. I left a jacket in the dryer for a little over two hours, checking on it periodically.
I think I was one of the lucky ones who is tried this, because the jacket shrunk exactly as I had hoped. The chest and shoulders fit much better but the sleeve and back length did not change much at all.
I guess this is my long winded way of saying that you would have to go to great lengths to see any noticeable shrinkage on this kind of leather. If you keep it away from hot water and clothes dryers you should be fine.

What about the lining? The idea that the constituent parts of a jacket will shrink at the same rate always seems very unlikely to me.

El Marro

What about the lining? The idea that the constituent parts of a jacket will shrink at the same rate always seems very unlikely to me.
Believe it or not, the lining did shrink consistently with the leather this time! I chose the herringbone tweed lining with moleskin sleeves for this jacket and everything shrunk together. As I said, I was one of the lucky ones this time. I attempted to shrink an A2 afterwards and the knits did not shrink along with the jacket which meant I had to replace them.

Schitzo went to great lengths to push his arms down by his sides with his hands out-stretched, jacket pulled down on his neck with chin raised, and pants pulled down for special effects. His comparison game plan was just too obvious even though a few members did fall for it at first.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
One of the most egregious little charades that one of the most obnoxious characters to haunt here played - lasted 17 pages, mostly of endless, flatulent posts from Schitzo.

tropicalbob

Most of the time the jacket stays the same but the boy gets larger. I know that when my trousers don't fit my first reaction is to blame them, and then I cut down on the grilled cheeses and bacon.

One of the most egregious little charades that one of the most obnoxious characters to haunt here played - lasted 17 pages, mostly of endless, flatulent posts from Schitzo.

We were even entertained with a video as he dissected every fold and wrinkle of his jacket laying flat very close to questioning if an overly sweaty Aero steer coulda done it....:D

Cyber Lip

Practically Family

LOL!! could you post a link to that? I'm always keen for some good comedy. Is he the same guy that said his jacket shrank just from being packed in his checked luggage or that it could have been caused by the polluted air in beijing? Then there was the guy that claimed all the color dye of his jacket just magically evaporated into thin air within 2 weeks of buying it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff