Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone Have a BLACK Schott 184SM?

South

One of the Regulars
Would love to see pictures of one. Am kinda thinking about getting one in black, but don't know how out of the ordinary this would look.

Has anyone seen on in person? How did it look?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
been there, done that

howdy...

i had one...it looked great, i loved it...get it

i sold mine as foolishly i got it the precise size that a schott rep told me...not to fault her, but the jacket are allegedly now sized 'accurately', where in the past the sizes were a size bigger than the jacket size actually turned out to be...

so i was set to order a 46, and then emailed schott, and they said i should get a 44...well, i did...it fit well, but became restrictive and tight when the inner liner was used.....so their sizing might be correct if you like your jacket very very well fitting, and unusable with any layering or the inner liner...also, it was only 25" long from the collar seam to the hem, so i'd also get the long if you are over 5'8" and don't like jackets riding up over your belt when you wave at a friend

if you get the right size, i'd say this jacket is simply fantastic...it's not authentic to anything militarily, but the style has been around forever as a classic american biker style, so that's enough for me

i'd say the black is the best colour since the brown looks like it's trying to be an a-2 or g-1, which it definitely not is and thus looks like a poser jacket...most of the classic older versions that schott made, and made for other suppliers, were in black...looks naughtier as well

greattt jacket, but i'd find a supplier other than schott by googling the jacket...authorized resellers will save you at least $100

South

One of the Regulars
Johnny,

Can you tell me the name of some authorized resellers? The only ones I could turn up via a Google search were about the same price as Schott.

Thanks for the good info.

Best.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I own a brown 184SM and a black 674MS, which is the predecessor I believe to the 184SM and have seen 2 black 184s over the last few years. The old 674SM is what schott calls "steerhide" which is really just their naked cowhide treated with some chemicals to make it more weatherproof and more resistant to staining and such. The steerhide ages very nicely, as you would expect from a good quality leather jacket. The 184SM naked leather is buttery soft and easy to wear out of the box, but ages a bit differently since its a softer more flexible leather.

I love my 184SM, but as I have lost weight it doesnt fit anymore. Would I get another one...no. Its got to many design flaws for my taste. The inner liner rides up too easily, the detachable collars buttons are annoying when they touch your neck. The zippers that hold the liner to the jacket dont seem very durable and as previously mentioned, the length is a bit to short for me.

Additionally, for the prices that they charge for the sizes in the upper 40's, I could get a custom made Jacket from Aero.

However, if you really like the the 184SM, but dont care about the zip out liner, I would look for a 674MS used on ebay. My 674MS is by far my favorite schott jacket and I got it used for about 45.00. It feels much sturdier than the current model, has a sewn in sherpa liner and a sewn in mouton type collar.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
prices went south

sorry south, when i bought mine i found a number of resellers of new 184sm's in the high $300 range, but that was 1.5 years ago

today, this might be the best you can do, unless you care to go 30 pages into google search results:

http://www.leosleather.com/Schott-184SM-p16.html

still, $468 is a fair price for this jacket...others have called it short, so have i, get a Long version...but otherwise, i noticed none of the other complaints...it's a fine fine fine jacket

hope i helped

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
great website

great pix and website paden, you do wonderful displays of your merchandise, as well as (i must say) better displays for some of the brands you carry than the manufacturers, such as here with schott, as well as with aero and eastman (tho eastman's presentation is almost on a par with yours)

i noticed your website had offered the eastman luftwaffe jackets, but your beta site did not...have you removed them from your offerings? i purchased one from eastman because, due to currencies, it cost me less there

also, i notice now too that lewis is offering a luftwaffe jacket through you that they don't offer on their site...i'd love some backstory on all this stuff...you guys seem to have the best offerings anywhere because you don't hesitate to carry merchandise from various manufacturers, and (amazingly) offer stuff they don't even offer on their own websites...keep it up

South

One of the Regulars
Years ago, I had a black A-2 "style" jacket from another manufacturer. Over time, the black color took on a very faint greenish hue. It was almost imperceptible, but it started looking like a dark, dark green-black.

Do the black Schott 184SMs do this?

Thanks again.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
green hornet

no, they don't.

but don't worry. if you like the green i've seen a bunch of new unused schott green a-2s on ebay for sale...all sizes...wooooooooopeee

Cedric Satterfield

New in Town
I got my Schott 184 last year on the 'bay for 150.00. I was pretty stoked to find one that cheap in almost unworn condition in my size. You are right about the length, though. Im 5'10" and Id never owned a Schott before. My cheapie leather flight jacket was long enough but this one is cut right to the waist. That's a great thing if you are trim enough to pull that off, but im somewhat on the other side of trim, so its minor annoyance that the jacket never feels quite long enough. They are great, though, and I don't regret my purchase ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk