Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone into tent camping?

My wife went camping with her first husband. He pitched a little 2 man pup tent under an oak tree. He forgot to clear the acorns away. Made for rough sleeping. In addition he weighed over 300 pounds and snored loud enough to scare a grizzly bear. So there she was pushed up against the side of a pup tent, on lumpy ground, next to a very loud snoring husband. Then the rains came (really). By morning she was in the car and had sworn off camping forever. Her idea of camping now is a cabin with a bathroom and kitchen . . . .

p51

One Too Many
I grew up in a family that was into black powder shooting and civil war re-enacting. The events were always in the middle of nowhere and we couldn't have afforded a hotel anyway. We actually used to shoot Dad's hand-made 6-pounder field gun, even in competition shoots. Anyway, we camped all the time in those oppressive southern summers (I never got used to the weather there, even after almost 30 years).
Active duty Army? I slept in shelter halves (so small you had to go outside to change your mind, they said) and wherever I could find a spot. I got used to sleeping anywhere, especially on any moving vehicle (a trait I'm very thankful that I managed to keep).
To this day, I can sleep almost anywhere unless I'm nervous about something.
But I do not camp. Nope. Not at all. "I paid at the office" is almost my retort to anyone who'd ask.
My wife has zero interest in camping as well, so I'm covered there.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The O/P referred to tent camping as real camping. I think that anything below a hotel is camping, but. Have to admit, we go to a number of vintage festivals throughout the year, many are held on farmland in the middle of nowhere. We have learned that there is an acceptable form of camping, (almost.) Here in the UK it's known as Glamping. Glamour camping in other words.

Our twenty-two foot Mercedes van is ply-lined and insulated, the van was originally a working van. I kept it when my brother and I sold our business and retired. Purpose built RV's start at £50K and go on up through the stratosphere in price. Using it half a dozen times a year just didn't justify that cost, hence the van. We do have canvas as well, it's called a drive away awning. Once erected, the van can actually drive away and leave the awning standing, although we don't.

We are off to The Goodwood Revival on Thursday and this what our van will look like once we have pitched up.
Van awning.jpg

The O/P referred to tent camping as real camping. I think that anything below a hotel is camping, but. Have to admit, we go to a number of vintage festivals throughout the year, many are held on farmland in the middle of nowhere. We have learned that there is an acceptable form of camping, (almost.) Here in the UK it's known as Glamping. Glamour camping in other words.

Our twenty-two foot Mercedes van is ply-lined and insulated, the van was originally a working van. I kept it when my brother and I sold our business and retired. Purpose built RV's start at £50K and go on up through the stratosphere in price. Using it half a dozen times a year just didn't justify that cost, hence the van. We do have canvas as well, it's called a drive away awning. Once erected, the van can actually drive away and leave the awning standing, although we don't.

We are off to The Goodwood Revival on Thursday and this what our van will look like once we have pitched up.
View attachment 85012
We camped for a number if years in our small SUV. Had a purpose built tent that attached to the rear hatch. We slept on a real mattress in the van and the tent was useful for inclement weather refuge. It unclipped from the van and we could drive away for the day.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I slept in my car for the night not long ago, semi upright in the drivers seat with my sleeping bag, does this count as RV' ing? I did sleep okay to be fair but I would not wish to repeat it that often. I was in Sussex and was going to the war and peace show the following day, seemed silly to drive home and then back. :)

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
After 29 years in the Army 'tenting' in everything from a pup to a GP Medium that slept an entire platoon, not to mention tent camping in Africa without an armed guard awake at all hours of the night, I believe that in my seventh decade I no longer have anything to prove to anyone. 'Primitive' camping to me now consists of a teardrop trailer in a campground with showers and toilets. I don't need a 52' RV but tents are for the young'ns, IMO.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Maybe it was the availability of low cost surplus equipment that helped influence the interest as well as more free time and optimism following the war years? But it is a good question and why has there been in further interest these days, abet it is now called 'glamping' for most.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
The wife , my self and our fishing buddy pack up and head to the Colorado San Juan mountains every fall to fish. We take an old "antique" sears J.C. Higgins canvas tent that I picked up for little to nothing years ago. We wouldn't go any other way. Nothing beats a good nigh sleep in a warm sleeping bag with the sound of rain or occasional sleet on the canvas roof.

Attachments

• cebolla fishing.JPG
    cebolla fishing.JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 1,008

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Camped out last weekend with the scouts, they undertook an all day event 06:30 - 23:00. completing assualt course, orienteering and Day and Night bases with puzzles and skills to complete, it is called the Green Beret challenge and I just cooked for them, apart from erecting and dismantling tents. We had a frost and ice on the tents Sunday morning but due to the rain on the Saturday it looked like the Somme in parts.

All good fun and nothing like camping with a frost, eh!

IMG_1287.JPG

Went camping with 7 buddies and wanted a shelter to hold us all. One of my buddies offered his old school canvas tent that slept 10-12 people. We had to hike down a steep and long trail and then along the rocky shore line of a lake to get to our site. By mid way through the hike we were all prepared to throttle the tent owner. That sucker weighed a ton and at the end of the weekend had to schlepp it back UP the trail to the cars. We considered burning the tent and leaving the ashes on the beach at the end of the weekend or making the owner carry it up himself. Out of kindness we relented and returned it to the vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk