Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone with black Aero Highwayman?

Faisalha9159

New in Town
I have seen a few people on here who own black Aero Highwaymans. I am seriously considering buying one.

Just a few questions I had;

1. Is the FQHH is thick??
2. Is the jacket a shiny black?

Appreciated fellas.

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

I purchased an Aero Highway this season. Yes, the hides are think and heavy, and yes they start off with a semi gloss sheen. Over time the sheen with dull, and the hide will soften, but it will always be heavy.

I've owned a couple of FQHH jackets. I loved them both, but the one I purchased last year had a much thinner hide than the first one I owned. I asked Mark Moye about this, and he indicated that some hides are thicker than others. If I had my choice, I would try to obtain a FQHH jacket in a thin hide. Mark had some fantastic mid-weight FQHH in brown last year, but I think it's all gone. When you make your order, you might want to ask the factory if they can use a lighter weight hide.

BTW, make sure the get the bi-swing back - it makes the jacket much more comfortable. Also, check into the different hardware finishes. My first jacket had a very attractive raw brass zipper that I really liked, but the new zippers are coated, and IMO, aren't as attractive. Ask Amanda if you can have nickel hardware intstalled.

I hope this helps,

Faisalha9159

New in Town
Hey thanks a lot for your reply. I`ll remember that about zipper- if she has any with her.

About the shine on the jacket, I want a jacket that would remain very shiny as I like that. As well as that I prefer my leathers and horsehides very very thick- do you see any disadvantage in that? Thin leather just doesn`t seem right to me.

I hope the one they make me turns out to be a very thick FQHH.

Any other tips?

Oh yeah...do u have any pics?

jacketquest

Familiar Face
I have one that's about 6 years old.

front.jpg

rest of the pics here: hwyman

It's made of extremely thick HH, around 4.5+ oz, if I had to guess. My brown long HB is noticeably lighter but still substantial. The leather has broken in very nicely with a good deal of creasing and graining at the wear points. It still retains a good amount of shine as you can sort of tell by the pics. However there are numerous lighter areas where the finish has worn to a lighter dull color. This seems quite in character with vintage HH jackets I have seen and owned.

Aero is quite accommodating and I'm sure if you conveyed your preferences they would do their best to satisfy you. A few years back I heard that every once in a while they would receive an extra heavy batch of FQHH. I think that my Highwayman might have been made from such a batch as it is heavier than other Aero FQHH jackets that I have handled (admittedly numbering only around 10 or so of varying colors).

Faisalha9159

New in Town
WOW......pics are much appreciated and that`s a fine looking jacket.

I guess you were lucky that they had that extra heavy batch of FQHH available. I have spoken to Amanda on a couple of occasions and she stated that the horsehide they had was about 4oz. Ideally I would like 4.5oz or even more.

I have a slim build so that jacket won`t be too heavy on me, even if I went for a very heavy hide. I was also sent some samples of all the HH that was available at Aero, and to be honest they didn`t seem that thick. I was then told that the samples were scrap and that the jacket when finished would probably be made from a better thicker part of the hide. It`s more than likely I will place my order in the following week. Being from England, I hope there isn`t much fuss with sending the finished jacket to my house.

But once again thanks for the great pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto