Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you ugly 'cause yer mad or are ya mad 'cause yer ugly?

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
I'm with Raindog...

Let's see what your mug looks like. I'll admit, I felt funny the first few times I posted self-taken mugshots with new acquisitions. But the feedback is good, and you won't get a better qualified set of critics than the folks on this forum.

StraightRazor

Familiar Face
Heres an old shot of me in my Stetson temple. I think it looks alright

me009.jpg

This is the one my girlfriend always jokingly called my 'cowboy' hat. Hopefully, :rolleyes: , my AB will be completed soon, and I'll post a pick of that.

vespasian

One of the Regulars
For me the angle of the camera doesnt help. The brim looks quite wide, the hat is tilted but the crown looks about right. It looks quite a bit of hat for your head. Those hats look to me to be a bit of a safari hat as in the brim is wide and its built tough for keeping the sun and rain off and taking a few good knocks. Try going for a true dress hat especially with a more modern look. Are you wanting to have a full vintage appearance or do you want to look like todays guy in a stylish hat? From there you can start out on the next step and thats for me, putting on the most likely day to day wear you have and then trying a hat on it.

You look about my age, build and facial shape. I wear a different hat for different occasions and the one I have similar to the above is my weather hat. I dont use it with suits and day to day wear.

Below is me in my smart hat: Its a 2in brim, 4in crown city trilby from www.hatsonline.com. Looking at it I could probably take a larger hat, but not much more because I want a modern look. It depends on your starting point, as in, the period.

me1.jpg

StraightRazor

Familiar Face
That looks good on you, but I like a more vintage look. Something with reverse taper but a narrow brim like yours. My AB will have a fairly wider brim, obviously, 'cause it's an 'Indy' hat, but I'd like another reverse tapered fedora, grey, with a narrow brim like the one you are wearing above. I would wear that as my dress hat, and my AB as my outdoors, or 'weather' hat. Any suggestions?

Aerol

A-List Customer
fitting your hat to your face

Indys are nice...I suppose everyone needs either an Indy or a safari type hat (mine's a 15+ year old Akubra). They're nifty starter hats. I'm having mine updated with a new ribbon and bound edge, just to change the look a little.

But if you want to develop a wardrobe of hats, you should head to a custom hatter like Optimo. There's nothing like actually selecting the entire hat, from color to bash to trim, to make a hat that fits your face and your physique.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112