• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Army may bring back "Pinks and Greens"

Discussion in 'WWII' started by V.C. Brunswick, Oct 11, 2017.

1. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

I think that in most places, the Army Blue uniform largely is reserved for formal occasions, same as the Army Green uniform came to be. When I was still in the states, I did wear the AG uniform as an everyday office uniform (khakis in the summertime, including with shorts). But overseas, the everyday uniform for all purposes was fatigues. One old sergeant was still wearing his Korean War era HBTs. There was also a separate field uniform and a wool field uniform as well, worn for formal guard mount. I never saw a blue uniform the whole time I was in the army.

2. Peacoat

Peacoat My Mail is Forwarded Here

I can tell it has been a while since your service. Same with me, but I have kept up with the uniforms—sort of.

Several years ago* the Army Blue uniform was phased in to replace the Army Green uniform. The Army Blue uniform had been the Army's formal uniform (Dress Blues), but less formal than the "Mess Dress" uniform—civilian version is the white tie and tails, the most formal of dress. The Blue uniform corresponds to the civilian black tie dinner jacket, commonly called a Tuxedo.

The Army Blue uniform now serves two functions: it is the standard garrison uniform and is worn with a long tie during the day. For formal (after six) occasions the black bow tie replaces the standard tie for "black tie" events.

It is this Army Blue uniform I am hoping is replaced by something more traditional, such as the Pinks and Greens or the "Army Greens" (Class A uniform) which is what I sometimes wore when they were able to pry me out of my flight suit for official functions. The Dress Blues should be just that: A formal after six black tie uniform, not worn during the day.

3. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

But blue is traditional.