Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Army may bring back "Pinks and Greens"

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I think that in most places, the Army Blue uniform largely is reserved for formal occasions, same as the Army Green uniform came to be. When I was still in the states, I did wear the AG uniform as an everyday office uniform (khakis in the summertime, including with shorts). But overseas, the everyday uniform for all purposes was fatigues. One old sergeant was still wearing his Korean War era HBTs. There was also a separate field uniform and a wool field uniform as well, worn for formal guard mount. I never saw a blue uniform the whole time I was in the army.

Peacoat

Bartender
I can tell it has been a while since your service. Same with me, but I have kept up with the uniforms—sort of.

Several years ago* the Army Blue uniform was phased in to replace the Army Green uniform. The Army Blue uniform had been the Army's formal uniform (Dress Blues), but less formal than the "Mess Dress" uniform—civilian version is the white tie and tails, the most formal of dress. The Blue uniform corresponds to the civilian black tie dinner jacket, commonly called a Tuxedo.

The Army Blue uniform now serves two functions: it is the standard garrison uniform and is worn with a long tie during the day. For formal (after six) occasions the black bow tie replaces the standard tie for "black tie" events.

It is this Army Blue uniform I am hoping is replaced by something more traditional, such as the Pinks and Greens or the "Army Greens" (Class A uniform) which is what I sometimes wore when they were able to pry me out of my flight suit for official functions. The Dress Blues should be just that: A formal after six black tie uniform, not worn during the day.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
During my time in the US Army-Vietnam War-khakis and Class A greens ruled the locker,
with fatigues/tiger stripes. Dress blues were reserved for officers and certain ceremonial
outfits such as the Old Guard based near Arlington National Cemetery. My nephew is serving
in the 82nd Airborne and reports that his pay was garnished to cover the blues cost,
and that the Army planned uniform replacement. I personally considered the blues a bit much.

Last edited:

jkingrph

Practically Family
Now if only the Air Force would do something similar, like a blue blouse and gray trousers, need to keep the black shoes with those colors. Back in the early 70's I had one class A in the old blue gray 100% wool, heavy and i was always stationed in the south or in west central TUrkey, mostly semi tropical, palm trees but it got cold on occasion. My other was a polyester wool blend which was more practical, weight wise and kept creases better. When i got back in reserves in early 90's everything had gone polyester and they did not look good.

p51

One Too Many
The new WW2 style uniforms are a done deal, according to someone I served with who's rounding out a career at JSC in the Pentagon.
The hat is a little odd, and I've read that some repro WW2 companies figured out the written standard for the uniform allows for a repro officer's hat to be worn with this (but with subdued buttons, has anyone else noticed that the button on these are not shiny?).
I do wonder, though, if any re-enactors will get in trouble for 'stolen valor' for wearing WW2 repro/original pinks and greens once these become the standard?

The Jackal

One of the Regulars
I do wonder, though, if any re-enactors will get in trouble for 'stolen valor' for wearing WW2 repro/original pinks and greens once these become the standard?

I'm hoping the trend of harassing people about supposed stolen valor has died down. There for a while people were getting out of hand with it, going so far as to physically assault people they assumed were guilty of stolen valor, regardless of if they actually were or not.

p51

One Too Many
I'm hoping the trend of harassing people about supposed stolen valor has died down. There for a while people were getting out of hand with it, going so far as to physically assault people they assumed were guilty of stolen valor, regardless of if they actually were or not.
You haven't looked on YouTube much, it seems.
The trend is not going down that I can tell.
A pal of mine who was a Navy SEAL got seriously accosted by someone with a video camera (from a TV station, no less), accusing him of faking his service. Turns out, he was a SEAL, just never made a big deal about it as he never went to combat as he got injured early on and got out. He has all the proof of his service but it hasn't stopped a couple of folks from trying to 'out' him anyway.
He got a formal apology from the TV crew that bushwacked him over it, though. "Geez, don't you people do any research before you do this? Looking up a SEAL isn't tough," is what he said to them.
But no, outing stolen valor isn't slowing down that I can tell.

The Jackal

One of the Regulars
You haven't looked on YouTube much, it seems.
The trend is not going down that I can tell.
A pal of mine who was a Navy SEAL got seriously accosted by someone with a video camera (from a TV station, no less), accusing him of faking his service. Turns out, he was a SEAL, just never made a big deal about it as he never went to combat as he got injured early on and got out. He has all the proof of his service but it hasn't stopped a couple of folks from trying to 'out' him anyway.
He got a formal apology from the TV crew that bushwacked him over it, though. "Geez, don't you people do any research before you do this? Looking up a SEAL isn't tough," is what he said to them.
But no, outing stolen valor isn't slowing down that I can tell.
That really is a shame. I abandoned social media pretty much entirely a couple years ago, so I'd hoped my lack of seeing it in the news meant it was going away.

I recognize there are people that try to get over on folks by saying they were military when they weren't, but I don't think any amount of people doing it is justification for the stolen Valor hunters harassing people.

Is honestly one of the reasons I don't bring up my service. Most people I interact with in a daily basis don't know. And I wouldn't dare go to a "vets eat free" type event. These people have made being a vet even harder than it already was.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Michaelp

New in Town
The Army recently unveiled prototypes for a possible new service uniform modeled after the WWII "pinks and greens."
https://www.defensenews.com/news/yo...-ausa-are-wearing-prototype-pinks-and-greens/

img_4753.jpg
HQDA-G-4_PG-with-Skirt_em1017-576x768.jpg

img_4751.jpg
I heard that the new uniforms go into effect 2021. The army has are ready F up the new class A by NOT having the gold/brass buttons and the officers chin straps on the dress hat will go back to brown leather instead of the gold bullion. Otherwise my fathers ww2 officers blouse would be in fashion again.

p51

One Too Many
I didn't even think about the officer chinstraps going to gold. They'll look much better in grown anyway. But no gold buttons, yeah, that's really an odd choice. I've questioned that ever since I saw the prototype uniforms.
I work near Fort Lewis and there's a clothing support place that sells patches and does sewing and stuff. They're sick to death of the changes because each time, they're left with a bunch of stuff they'll never be able to sell again. When they went from the Class A's a while back I told them to not get ride of the color unit shoulder patches because eventually they'd come back.
The other day, I went in to have a patch sewn and the lady there remembered me saying that back when the blues became the standard. She said they never planned on getting rid of the color patches, but they also didn't think they'd need them again so soon.
But in the end, I'm still really ticked they didn't do this when I was active duty!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...Since I was mainly an office type I thought it was perfect. Good looking and comfortable, unlike the BDU which, while suitable for slogging around in the mud and dust, was really silly in a swivel chair. (And the Navy's adoption of one in blue camouflage is ludicrous. Where are you going to hide in the middle of the ocean, fergawdsake?) ...

Hi, I worked in 4H with an Air Force Senior Master Sergeant who wore the tan and green camouflage. I always kidded him that he was camouflaging the gravy stains. The Navy is camouflaging oil stains I guess.

Later

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The army has are ready F up the new class A by NOT having the gold/brass buttons and the officers chin straps on the dress hat will go back to brown leather instead of the gold bullion. Otherwise my fathers ww2 officers blouse would be in fashion again.

Brown leather is fine. The Army needs to take a page from the Marine Corps and settle sartorial issues
instead of running all the horseshit crap games for the correct look. And once settled, uniformity should rule.

Michaelp

New in Town
It is a done deal. The 'Pinks and Greens' are being worn by the Chief of Staff. The dress blues will be for special occasions and will be phased out as the class A by 2028. Too bad that the Chairman decided to forgo the brass buttons and instead went with the black buttons. At first glance it looks like the marine class A. also, the chin strap of the visor hat is no longer gold bullion for officers. Field grade officers will no longer have 'scramble eggs' on the visor hat. As I see it, my fathers ww2 officers blouse STILL looks better than the new uniform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112